Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This LP has me replaying the game again. The further I get, the less I remember of the cases, and it almost gets like playing them for the first time. Still get a small thrill when I present evidence and the music cuts out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've occasionally gone for the "wait and see" option, I don't think it's ever the right choice.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always like that remark from the judge "that tea set looks rather heavy" to acknowledge that they re-use the sprite of the bellboy with his platter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's multiple YT videos of real lawyers playing Ace Attorney and while some of the real world critique is a little obvious, they tend to turn out quite funny (no spoilers, they play the first case which is already covered):

https://youtu.be/xu6ZRWp9rA4

https://youtu.be/om6BMBhhoPo

DKII, I really appreciate you going through the effort of even transcribing the follow-ups to the wrong questions, I haven't even seen most of them. Though, if at any time you feel like skipping those, I'd understand, this game is very very long.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that "Bluecorp" is in red text, on a green statue.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Foxfire_ posted:

Gumshoe is far too pure to ever have done anything blackmail-worthy

Gumshoe: please don't tell anyone how I live!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man, Edgeworth really abandons all integrity to get the verdict he wants.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can never quite forgive Maya for standing in judgement of harmless little lion man like that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

Do you have an opinion on doughnut holes?

How can one "eat" a "hole"? A preposterificous concept!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
poo poo. Windy Oldbag.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
...!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That guy...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

Basically there's a collection of identifier prepositions/pronouns that take the prefixes ko-, so-, and a- to say stuff like "here" (koko), "there" (soko), and "way over there" (asoko). "That guy" would be rendered in Japanese as either "aitsu" or "ano hito", referring to some person not at the scene. The characters are understood to know who is being referred to from the context but this allows the writer to hide who exactly they are referring to from the reader, which probably exaggerates its prevalence in media.

I've always wondered about this, so thanks!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It sometimes tripped me up in this game that you might have fairly pointless testimony, and then have to pedantically poke a hole somewhere in order to proceed. But it tends to come together in the end.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

Helping you reach a new page. Not much to say specifically though. Sorry.

I wish the forums had some way of starting a reply collapsed, and you could unfold it to make it start loading images, specifically for screenshot LPs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, the judge just accepted an empty pill jar into evidence that the defense lawyer claims he found at the crime scene, we're beyond any sense of reality anyway.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, maybe they ate the steak and then just threw the bones into the incinerator, Nick. Or a trashcan.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I know you can read my thoughts, Edgeworth...

badge badge badge badge

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think this is where I started liking Edgeworth.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, we have credible testimony that Edgeworth absolutely did dwell on it, he just has yet to say it to our face.

I'll tell you something that's not so funny, pal. Right now, Prosecutor Edgeworth is at his office, crying like a little girl!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, I played it in the order the games now present it in and thought that was fine.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We're crawling into spoiler territory, guys. Of the "can't wait till you meet THAT GUY!!" kind.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Please, Edgeworth has principles. He's going to want to prosecute himself.

This is why he does not want to be defended by the only lawyer to beat him in court, because it would give him worse odds of successful prosecution.

*Edgeworth running back and forth between the prosecutor's and defendant's benches*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The police chief clearly had Maya's number. She is a hoodlum.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Judge is taking it out on Phoenix that he got bullied by Von Karma :(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I really wish the game would properly label Manfred's text box with "von Karma". It just looks so odd seeing it say "Karma" when everyone else says the full thing.

...I've never noticed that while playing, huh.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Quackles posted:

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. The Bear."
"Phoenix! Call me Smokey."

"Now, about all these murders you're accused of."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Edgeworth is such a frustrating client. Talk, man!

No... I must brood...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you're caught lying, Judge Udgem just tells you to please testify again. And no more fibbing this time!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bah gawd that's the Butz's music!

Phoenix nearly defeated by the world's least credible witness. "Can't remember my name and have other vast swaths of amnesia, but here's my statement on this murder!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bladeworksmaster posted:

These moments where the case entirely clicks into place for Phoenix is what I live for in Ace Attorney, and I remember playing the DS original the year it came out stateside and being completely engrossed when I also figured it out.

Yeah, with the music ramping up and the dialogue and cuts becoming snappier, it's real exciting watching Phoenix cook.

And again, bless you for showing all these alternative paths, DKII, the effort here is amazing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Even as a kid, Edgeworth had massive hands.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a requirement for Japanafornia courtrooms. You must be able to bang the desk loudly and clearly. Nothing else is nearly as important.

When they're not on screen, Phoenix and Edgeworth are just constantly using those hand-squeezers for building muscle.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cyouni posted:

The best part is still that von Karma literally retrained the parrot, just in case. Just so he'd have an extra trap if we randomly decided to call the parrot.

Could've fed it poison, but no, he took time out of his busy, evil schedule to do this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

If I'm not mistaken, I think this line is given by Manfred, but it cuts to Phoenix's sweaty face as he says it.

It still cracks me up when you think Phoenix is saying it, like he's suddenly closely familiar with Von Karma's extended family.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

quote:

Thanks, dick.

:lol:

That moment where everyone's despairing and Phoenix is already 100% focused on turning things around rules, makes you feel all warm inside.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DKII posted:

I'd kind of hoped Mia wouldn't have to bail Phoenix out this time, but I guess this one is minimal involvement at least.

I agree, it gets a little annoying how Phoenix fights so hard, then repeatedly feels defeated and needs Mia to help him. Let the boy work!

I love how casually the theories for the bullet hole and the second shot are thrown out. Maybe the court bailiff shot his gun the day before! Bailiffs are always shooting their gun, it's normal!

Also I can't remember if it gets brought up, but surely if the bullet hole had already been there, they wouldn't be choking? I mean, it's not a big hole, but still.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that the metal detector comes back in such a creative way. It always remains kind of confusing how Phoenix treats items in the court record as his inventory even if he doesn't actually have them anymore, but this is one of those parts of the game that blows my mind.

The foreshadowing with Von Karma's posture is also great (though I misremembered which arm it was and thought he was always clutching his left arm in pain)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Agreed with all, your work on this LP is immaculate.

It's really ballsy that they start Edgeworth off as a smug ruffled prick who is *rumored* to hide or falsify evidence (though, we do see he coaches witnesses to obscure certain facts), and then gradually turn him into a tragic, haunted figure. He's a bit of an anime stereotype, but it's still cute to see him try loosening up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think they tried a few things with this episode's plot that don't really work out, but I'm looking forward to seeing you go through it. It's still a pretty spectacular one.