Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

That sure looks just like a guy in the costume. Also it sure seems like the legs on that costume are way too long for whoever is wearing it; it's unlikely to actually be Will Powers in there, right?

The costume legs are supposed to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

Wait a minute, so it is possible to traipse through the woods and veer off the path? So much for the producer's alibi...

All the images showing the woods show waist-high hedges/bushes everywhere. Maybe Cody is small enough to climb through or over, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be possible for an adult to do it without noticeable damage to the foliage. It would be nice if that was actually mentioned in the game though.

One thing I've never figured out is how Cody got his picture taken before the Steel Samurai (the deleted Photo #1) if he came in from the woods and was wandering around back there the whole time.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

My understanding of the events is
1) Cody enters through the drain pipe in the employee area
2) Cody passes through the gate and gets photographed
3) Cody ditches into the woods to avoid the old hag (she's coming back to her post from the run through maybe? She could also be putsuing from behind if she was at her post and saw the photo get snapped)
4) Cody wanders around lost until he stumbles upon the steel samurai "battle"

No, the run-through was in the morning, then they had lunch, then Oldbag got to her station at 1:00. Cody says he arrived around 2:00 (let's say 1:50 because the Samurai photo is at exactly 2:00) so he would've had to go into the woods to get from the Employee area to the studios past the main gate. Then what, he went back onto the path to get his picture taken, then ran back into the woods?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

I'm assuming he's wearing a piece of the show's official merch.

Yep, Cody has the same hat, just a different color.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

Look at that, the game is basically admitting we've already done enough to prove our client is "not guilty." Barring another frame job later today, anyway. I bet he still gets declared guilty if we screw up enough in the next day of trial tomorrow, though!

Cody didn't say when he took the Studio 2 picture, so Hammer could've gone from Studio 2 to Studio 1 before the path got blocked and then run into Powers out of costume. No one saw Powers after lunch so he could've gone to the studios before the camera got turned on (which is what they thought Hammer did). Edgeworth still has a large group of people at the meeting saying the murder didn't occur there. Since that's still a possibility we get another day, not the win. The game really should've had Edgeworth say all that though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

achtungnight posted:

I thought the collapsed statue was blocking the path. I guess not for vehicles, just pedestrians.

The monkey head was cleared out of the way by then.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm in favor of not skipping past RftA, because I think it gives the beginning of JfA more emotional weight coming after a long intermission case....at least it did when I played the games (being really vague to avoid spoilers, I think you can figure out what I'm talking about). Also, I know in the Trilogy versions they updated the dialogue in JfA to take RftA into account but I don't remember the specifics.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 16, 2023

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Samovar posted:

I'm very sure Karma just blowing past the number of gunshots recorded and number of bullets fired won't be of any import in this case!

There's no evidence the gun was fully loaded at the time of the murder. It could've been fired once a week ago for all we know (except of course this is a game so we know it's relevant).

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

I always kind of wondered....what are they questioning her about?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

That's when my mother left us.

Everyone called her a fraud.

Except... everyone did think Yogi did it? This part of the plot still doesn't make any sense. I guess the police had to find someone to blame for their massive screwup?

It probably wasn't really "everyone" on either side. People who knew about the trial details were harassing Yogi because they thought he was technically the murderer, and different people who didn't pay as close attention but found out about Misty harassed her because they thought Yogi was completely innocent. Plus Redd White was presumably inflaming both sides by spreading rumors around for his blackmailing purposes.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

I wish they had upscaled the original police badge instead of just making it the detail-less shape we see on their sprites. Maybe they thought players wouldn't make the connection?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

"What a crafty trick! That gunshot was a fake!"

This is still supposed to be the policeman mumbling right? Not Phoenix?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Edgeworth definitely would've noticed the same contradiction Phoenix did when he read the first version of the autopsy report, and would've gone and talked to the coroner. There are a few possibilities for why it got changed.

1. Mia legitimately could've been alive a couple seconds after being hit and the coroner just meant "not long enough to drag herself to another location or move around a lot" when they wrote "immediately", not knowing it would cause a problem. Edgeworth tells the coroner about the bloody note, and the coroner goes "Sorry, she actually was able to write it" and corrects the report.
2. Mia died immediately and the second report was made up by the coroner without Edgeworth knowing it was wrong. The coroner could've done this because:
a: They were blackmailed by Redd White directly.
b: They were pressured by the "Chief Prosecutor" we see Redd White call later (if I remember correctly, in the Japanese dialogue this is actually a different position than Lana Skye)
c: They were pressured by Von Karma.
d: They decided on their own to falsify the autopsy because they were scared of what Edgeworth might do given his reputation.

DKII posted:

We don't get any hints for this one. So I picked the least-likely result to start.

I'm a bit confused, you can see whether or not the prints match without actually hitting compare on each one, were you just doing that for flavor?

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 4, 2023

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

Part 138: Episode 5, Day 3, Trial Former: Security Video

You've got quite a few gifs cropped too small unless that was intentional to reduce filesize.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure Angel just isn't being very specific with the timeline and when she says "in those days" she's talking about the general time of SL-9. Darke definitely got arrested at Neil Marshall's crime scene after the 6-month chase, but the regular detectives were suspicious of the situation and kept investigating prior to and during Darke's trial. This is Jake's "obsessive" period Angel's talking about and leads to Angel getting fired and Jake demoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Truthkeeper posted:

Yeah, but that was her being depressed and suggesting that the gold finish represents optimism and honesty, rather than being a greenhorn.

It amuses me that you used a shot of Marshall, rather than Gant, given that Gant loves his badge so much he wears one in his tie and 4 more as coat buttons.

As for what the hell it's supposed to be, your guess is as good as mine.

I've seen claims that it's supposed to be a take on the logo from the National Police Agency badge, but I have my doubts. This is pretty clearly what the detective's badge is based on, but even in the world of low-res GBA graphics, I don't think there's much similarity between the NPA logo and the police emblem.

Bruce Goodman's wallet in the DS version had a very detailed version of the badge so you can see what it's supposed to be.