Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

achtungnight posted:

I know it’s daytime but they were inside and there may not be good light throughout the hallway. What he saw could thus be in doubt.

The hallway is outdoors, it was quite well lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The classic Awkward Zombie comic (very slight spoiler of characters from the 2nd trilogy)

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/culture-schlock

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Columbo is very popular in Japan and no doubt is part of the inspiration for these games

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Localization trivia:

Our friend's name here is Konaka Masaru in the Japanese script, written as 小中大. Those three characters individually mean "small", "medium", and "large".

His speech quirk originally was the use of gratuitous English inserted into his sentences. The localizers chose to turn that into sprinkling in fake big words, but an alternative I've seen in other games is sprinkling in gratuitous French. Either way it's a bit of an expression of arrogance.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

oobitydoo posted:

Got it, jokes aren't allowed in here. I'll take my leave. Have fun y'all.

The gently caress? That's a weird reaction dude. I didn't see what you originally posted but spoilers are spoilers. I deliberately avoided giving any other context around the guy's name for that reason.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Actually, if you really wanted to get literal, Neo Olde Tokyo would be the New-Old-East-Capital :eng101:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I think it's partly just the genre shift. A lot of JP media to make it over in that period featured broody characters like Squall in FF8, which gave you a lot of "..." dialogue boxes. The closest you get to that here is Edgeworth, but in court it's his job to talk so you don't get much of those. Plus I think the animations can get across a silent reaction without wasting a dialogue box

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Basically there's a collection of identifier prepositions/pronouns that take the prefixes ko-, so-, and a- to say stuff like "here" (koko), "there" (soko), and "way over there" (asoko). "That guy" would be rendered in Japanese as either "aitsu" or "ano hito", referring to some person not at the scene. The characters are understood to know who is being referred to from the context but this allows the writer to hide who exactly they are referring to from the reader, which probably exaggerates its prevalence in media.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

DKII posted:

We didn't get to Studio Two until the second day of investigation; plenty of time for some cleanup to have occurred I suppose.

This is what I assume happened. The police would have no reason to go over there either, since it wasn't known to be the scene of the crime.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I looked him up and his Japanese name is a reference to two poets. I guess his English name is meant to convey that he is a sleepy (yawny) sage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

spoiler removed

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 22, 2023