Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Tulip posted:

5A in the US formulation is that the prosecution cannot compel you to give up self-incriminating information. You can absolutely cede that voluntarily, even under deception or some forms of duress. And of course its an oft-violated right anyway.

e: Also AA is very not based on the American legal system, but if it were then Mr. Larry isn't really having his rights violated he's just being a terrible defendant.

FWIW the Japanese protection against self-incrimination works the same way (one of the products of the US heavily influencing Japan's post-WWII constitution, I believe). So either way, no one has an obligation to stop Larry from saying dumb poo poo or to disregard the dumb poo poo once he's said it. The prosecution can't force him to do it, but it's Larry, so that's not necessary anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
I've seen it pointed out(/argued) before that he seems to deal with stuff that's deeply personally upsetting by thinking and talking about it as little as possible, except insofar as it involves the job he has to do. I didn't notice it when I played the game originally, because the overall impression he gives is not "this guy bottles up his feelings," but looking back at scenes like this one, it really does seem to be true. In another game I might write this off as "well, he's the PC, maybe it would make him less self-insertable to show him dealing with grief, so the writers just don't get into it," but he very much does have a distinct personality, so I don't know.