Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, AA. The game which strangely enough inspired me to undertake my translation work for the BSS comic thread - I read an interview with one of the translators who really underlined the fact that literal translation (particularly when it comes to fiction) is usually secondary to translation of meaning into the new language.

While I am of the opinion that some of it hasnae aged well, on the whole it's a good series - I'll be glad to see this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

They say a man who represents himself has a fool for a client - well, as God as my witness, they've not seen Phoenix Wright!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nidoking posted:

There's a whole form of playground sign language in Japanese using sounds and gestures to translate to syllables. The one that most immediately comes to mind is clapping one's hands, "pan"; holding up two fingers for "tsu"; making a circle, "maru"; and pretending to look at something in the distance, "mie". That runs together into a sentence that means "Your underwear is showing."

I thought they just made that up for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I love Phoenix's look of complete fed-upness at the wig toss.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

How ironic that this became the murder weapon... again.

THAT'S NOT HOW IRONY WORKS ARGH

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, Dick - one of the many good characters in this series.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

how would making me play as the detective lead to a story in which the detective would be competent?

Oh, do I have a ga-

Quackles posted:

[Disco Elysium intensifies]

God-DAMNIT!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Can't wait until you get to court...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Quackles posted:

Fun fact: In all versions through the DS version, there was a typo here and it read "wonton winking".

They fixed it for the collection.

Now I'm hungry

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I liked the reference to Alex Jones' cack-handed lawyer you threw in there.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There have been a few good lines in the game up to this point, but I hold that 'Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!' was when I realized fully that the translation-work for this game was unlike any other I had seen at the time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

drat, Phoenix looking presentable with the shaved head.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay April May is a cromulent name, but Redd White??? Come on that's obviously a fake name, these people are jerkin you around.
It's not the worst pun name in this series. But then again, there are some actual bangers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Quackles posted:

So in the Japanese version, Redd White's verbal tic isn't making up grandiloquent words. It's gratuitously using English, instead.

My first exposure to this was when I was innocently watching the anime, and it is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6R0gc8pnmE

That's simply incredible. And another demonstration of how the translation team understood that you can communicate the same idea without having to literally ape it.

I mean, it's a cartoon, so obviously line deliveries are nowhere NEAR to how they are in real life, but I often get worried I sound like that when I try to speak in languages other than English.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Quackles posted:

Well, they do say a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. :objection:

And an rear end for an attorney!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

C'mon Wright, you can take this doofus down!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Show the autopsy, and DARE Edgy-boy to update it again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

I'm not sure anything will ever top getting a hairpiece tossed at us, but that was still quite satisfying.

Oh ye of little faith...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, this game was never grounded to begin with, but NOW is where the real pants-on-head logic starts up.

Also, it is 'by whom' Edgeworth, you analphabetic clown.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I really hope this LP doesn't suffer from the PW curse because it being a blind SSLP is a really fun new perspective on the games.

Indeed, take care to pace yourself, and remember - this is supposed to be fun for you as well as us. If it stops being that way, don't try to force yourself to keep going.

That being said, looking forward to the next case!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

No update tonight; I'm going to switch to a Monday/Friday update schedule for this episode, as with the school year starting back up I've gotten a bit busier. At least unless/until I get more of a backlog built up again.

Take your time, chief - this is supposed to be fun for you, not a chore.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know what - I'm going to say it since you asked it in the post. I don't like doughnuts. They are usually way too large, far too sticky on your hands and overly doughy. Cake is much better - you can choose the size for yourself and you can eat it with a fork and it complements coffee as well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Take your time, chief. Get well soon!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I do love how when Miles gets taken aback he ends up looking so stressed. It's a strangely effective way to get you to feel sorry for him, despite him being a smarmy, tricksy bastard.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Surely the spear? Didn't they say it would be too unwieldly for a kid?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Edgeworth is at his funniest when something breaks his composure and he is as flummoxed by the witness as Phoenix.

I agree

Omobono posted:

I think one of my favourite parts of AA is how Nick is such a gigantic snarky motherfucker in his internal narration.

I also agree.

Somehow I... Hmm. This game was the first real time I could get into an "anime-style" game before. I know I've talked on how exemplary the translation work is before and I think it really shines in the narration? Somehow, it was (I think more stuff from Japan has this type of translation now, and for the better) really unlike other stuff which had loads of '...' or the like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Staltran posted:

Edgeworth does get some "..." dialogue boxes in court I think, but he's usually emoting pretty hard at the time so it works as a reaction shot.

You know what - that's exactly the case. It's one thing when it's '...' and he's looking aloof, it's another when it's '...' and it looks like he's dying of stress.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

Sorry, kids have been sick again so no update tonight, but feel free to continue with the "..." discussion. I was real tempted to just post "..." in this reply.

...?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dybael posted:

It can't be helped.

Good grief.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You bakas!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So you returned with an update just as the stupid quotes based on typical shorthand translations of Japanese idioms came to an end.

All according to plan (plan means keikaku).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, how I wish I could say that this is the most problematic character in the series.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If I remember correctly, almost no longsword can be carried AND drawn from the back - to be drawn it has to be short (or your arms have to be STUPIDLY long), or you have to have the sword on your hip.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Quackles posted:

No, no, Mia's clearly a statue :v:

I was about to make some joke about her being callipygian, but then I just got too annoyed at myself.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Kinda creepy how Maya just pops in unexpectedly like that. And she’s gone just as quickly too. Is she Batman?

A person whose main characteristic is being a Deus ex Machina out of loving nowhere?

She's clearly supposed to be Dr. Who.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

No update tonight - it's my wife's birthday and that's kept me tied up. See you all on Friday!

Objection sustained.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

raifield posted:

I think it'll be Cody's camera. He did say he always captures the conclusion of every fight for his album, but he didn't know how to use his new camera well. He probably ejected the SD card instead of taking a photo.

Really? Even after we just presented it? Does this game do that often?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, that's one thing that makes Ace Attorney really nice - its twists really grab you because you've been working on them as opposed to being told them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Poor Penny...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

DKII posted:

Now that's a mean look.

...but she IS sweating. She's nervous.

And I would say Gumshoe is a himbo Columbo.

Colhimbo.