Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Clearly we need to Present our badge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DKII posted:

I will certainly present it at every opportunity, but this prompt isn't one of them. Just to be sure I tried presenting it again both before and after this scene we left off at (doesn't seem to be a way to do so during the dialogue) and still got the standard "buzz off" lines. Alas, it will come in handy someday, I'm sure of it...

As is Wright and proper!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Not to me. Then again, I suppose sense of humor can vary. But encouraging a pratfall in a game with limited lives just doesn’t make sense to me. Nor does it in real life.

I'm using the badge as "I've played this game before, and want to show that I am engaged with the LP, but don't want to pretend I don't know the answer." That's not to say the badge is never the answer, but it's a comfortable default and it amuses me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

comicfan92 posted:

To be fair, there are times where the killer might try to hide the actual murder method (because it might incriminate them specifically) by providing a more "obvious" murder weapon, so it's understandable that they don't want to verbally commit until the autopsy is done at least.

Besides, you have to leave some wiggle room just in case Edgeworth wants you to make some "edits" to the official report.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Hard to believe that woman didn't change her name, especially in her younger years, or has she always looked like a hag?

Let's be honest, Maya is almost certainly in charge of all of the evidence and profiles, and Phoenix probably isn't listening anyway. She probably just wrote down "old bag" and Phoenix goes along with it.

Leraika posted:

Ah, it's the old bag. :allears:

The correct reaction. Definitely one of my favorite characters in a series with an abundance of fun characters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

I do love how when Miles gets taken aback he ends up looking so stressed. It's a strangely effective way to get you to feel sorry for him, despite him being a smarmy, tricksy bastard.

It also makes it extremely satisfying to beat him even when he's "revising" evidence to win.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Is it just me, or is calling something a run-through in a case about a murder victim being stabbed to death somewhat concerning?

Anyway, it's very clear that to proceed, Phoenix needs to implicate himself somehow in order to get Powers declared not guilty. After all, he does have a keycard, and he could have used his rapier wit to skewer the victim!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DKII posted:

Runaway winner so I closed the poll early. Guess we'll be pointing the finger at the old windbag!

To be fair, this is only because Phoenix wasn't an option. It worked in the previous case!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We should look at the Detention Center. I don't think the script is there or Manella has been there, but it's a place he should have been. :colbert:

Unfortunately, the detention center is too close to a school, so that's unlikely to be the place they'd take him.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

theshim posted:

Mia's here! That can only mean one thing...

Is Mia.......a clock?!

Well, she does always arrive in the Nick of time. Or was that in time for Nick?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Show the judge our badge

Your honor, you see this badge? That's right, it's the badge they gave me for graduating law school. But you know who didn't get a badge? Chewbacca. That's right, ladies and gentlemen of the court, Chewbacca helped blow up the Death Star and he didn't get a badge! Luke did. Han did. But they didn't give a badge to Chewbacca! That doesn't make any drat sense! Now why am I up here talking about Chewbacca? That's right! Chewbacca is just a guy in a costume! Who else is a guy in a costume? The Silver Samurai! The Evil Magistrate is dead, and they didn't give the Silver Samurai costume a medal either! None of this makes any sense! And if none of this makes any sense, your honor, you must acquit!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

To be fair, the kid apparently gets in via a little drain cover as well, so the it's already established that the kid can go where the adults can't. I don't think Maya could fit through that, let alone Windbag, Powers, or Sal. He's also a lot more willing to get dirty to move around, where the adults are meeting with executives (and probably don't want to explain errant foliage in their clothes) or are wearing costumes (and thus don't want to damage the costume, especially for a rehearsal).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

I’m sure plenty of people will vote for the badge instead. ::)

Of course! Cody has realized that if he becomes a lawyer he'll have plenty of money to buy merch from the show. He also might get to help bring people to justice! He got so excited about the prospect that he started studying a law textbook instead of watching the fight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

Gumshoe with the last secon save! :suspense:

And dude must really be tougher than he looks since he can make 4 mafia hitmen back down all by himself. I guess he's like Phoenix in that sense, look like a dum dum and turn into Dirty Harry when the stakes are high

I assume that it's not just Gumshoe there and that there are more police in the area. There's often some implication in his dialogue (one of the first investigation scenes in the law office, for instance) that there's more than one person checking out the scene and Gumshoe is the point person that we're interacting with while he leads a team of investigators.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

Keep in mind the reason we have the single judge and he has like three animations total is because there literally wasn't any more space left on the original GBA cart.

TWO distinct "generic policemen" sprites? Are we made of memory here?

So there's plenty of policeman around, just out of screen, laughing too.

You have no idea how happy I would be if the "generic policeman" sprite was just a recolor of the mafia sprites.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nidoking posted:

It's all about doubt. Why would they eat the steaks and then throw the bones in the incinerator?

Also worth noting that the lower ranked employees didn't clean their plates up (likely the staff that would have done so weren't allowed back in time after the area was declared a crime scene), so there's no expectation that the higher-ups, especially those in an important meeting with limited time to eat (Powers had enough time to nap, after all) would have cleaned them up.

In a more sane world it would be extremely weird for everyone involved to not have cleaned up their plates and put them somewhere to be taken away, but this is Japanafornia and anything goes. Also, if they had actually cleaned their plates off using the incinerator, the plates would almost certainly be stacked together with the silverware on them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Where was the steel samurai costume during all of this? I would think it would have absorbed a lot of the blood and maybe have been incinerated as a result, but then it would have been hard to say WP was the killer if the costume was missing.

And even if it was available and not covered in blood, who did the patch job to fix the hole in the chest?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gosts posted:

I always thought it would have made sence if Edgeworth showed a bit more outrage at phoenix suddenly being accused in trial 2. Like. "what the gently caress...?" Surely he knew that was absurd from the get-go, right?

You have to remember that prosecutors have a lot of political pressure on them, so whatever Edgeworth thinks in private he can't necessarily say out loud during trial. But it is fairly clear that that whole process had an effect on the guy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know what the big deal is. Without Edgeworth, that leaves the only other prosecutor as Winston Payne, and he's a pushover. This case will be done a couple of hours into the first day of court, tops!

In all seriousness, this is a fantastic case and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Samovar's joking post (at least I assumed it was a joke) made me think about it and AA shipping in general. Bit out of left field, I know. If it bothers you though, I'll avoid speaking on ships again.

Well, given the intro to this case, watercraft are going to have to be involved somehow!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

fatsleepycat posted:

The California system takes this to an extreme. You get put into one group of many (think 10-20 per day), and then the night before you call in or check a website and they tell you whether your group might have to show up at the courthouse. If your group is potentially needed, you check again in the late morning to confirm whether you actually have to show. Once you get there I think there's one more round of winnowing based on how many trials settled or dropped charges at the last second before the regular selection process kicks in with the attorneys.

The nice thing is that if you don't get called, I think it's 5 days of checking in before you're considered to have finished jury duty. If you do get called in, you're considered to have finished jury duty whether or not you actually were called into a courtroom or served on a jury.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

AncientSpark posted:

He would command the Judge to resurrect him, thereby starting the cult that would re-enact the events of Castlevania.

Are you saying that he would come back as a defense attorney by the name of Nov Amrak?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

B-6 The shooter is not wearing his Attorney's Badge! This proves Wright's innocence, as he would never go anywhere without it!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You'd think defending the Steel Samurai himself would have landed Wright some money to make rent. I'm not sure if they imply that he takes on other cases to keep the lights on between the major ones or not though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

A hard boiled detective enters the questioning room. He slowly walks to the table, his heavy footfalls echoing around the room. His partner slips silently into the room and slides into the corner. He leans back against the wall and there is the quiet hiss of a match as he lights a cigar. "So," the first detective begins to rumble, turning the light directly into the little girl's face. He leans forward, towering over her seated frame. "We hear you know the best spot in town for burgers."

Everyone knows the best places for burgers are coastal with access to high quality rice.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You know what's cuter than Missile? Missile with a little attorney's badge pinned to the collar! Worst-case scenario, we bring Missile into the courtroom and the barking throws Von Karma off his game!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

This plot is getting a bit convoluted and confusing in my opinion. Hope they tie everything together at some point.

Ah, it can't be that convoluted! Our rival (who has some unspecified relationship to the protagonist) and friend? may have shot someone on a boat in the middle of a lake that had its own loch ness monster show up except that the loch ness monster was actually just an air tank fired off by an airhead and that event brought in a sightseer/conspiracy theorist with a camera who then took an automatic photo of the scene when the gun was fired, but it turns out that there was another gunshot beforehand and also that the gun was fired 3 times, not 2, and all of that lead us to talking to the boat caretaker who has a parrot and who is apparently senile and thinks that phoenix is his kid and wants to run a noodle shop. Also DL-6. No idea what that is, but hey, it exists and is important somehow. Maybe? Who knows. It was a long time ago, after all.

Oh and the prosecutor is a prick and is our rival/friend's former mentor who loves to hide evidence, fake evidence (allegedly!), and badger witnesses into not revealing crucial information. So we have that going for us as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

I think you should show Larry the parrot. They would probably be friends.

I don't know, one has the intelligence of a particularly dim-witted three year old, poor hygiene, and a sharply limited vocabulary. The other is a parrot. I'm not sure they have that much in common.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Is Edgeworth about to unload his deep-seated fear of crows onto us?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Even as a kid, Edgeworth had massive hands.

It's a requirement for Japanafornia courtrooms. You must be able to bang the desk loudly and clearly. Nothing else is nearly as important.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

An Ace Attorney character whose name isn't a pun? Scandalous! XD

That doesn't sound Wright. Some of the puns are on the edge of being worthy, but at least you can tell they have a lot of heart behind them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There's a lot of wackiness in the series. Butz (just all of Butz), the pun names, Redd White, literally bringing dead characters back via spirit mediums, the Steel Samurai, Oldbag, Gumshoe and his array of gadgets, etc. And hell, now we strongly suspect that Von Karma has something to do with the murder and he even tazed the main characters and stole vital evidence!

And you think you're ready for just about anything.

Then Phoenix requests to cross-examine a parrot. The games are absolutely wonderful, and the best part is that it's not even out of left field! The parrot was introduced. We know the parrot has relevant info. It's Chekhov's parrot. And the writers had the chops to actually take the parrot off of the metaphorical wall!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

And here's the best part of AA. Lost in the fog, 5 centimeters away from the full truth and still unable to see it, now it's time for a massive yet really simple in retrospect leap of faith.

Some sort of... turnabout?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Don't make me agree with the bad guy, game. I don't think you can force someone to get surgery in order to produce evidence. :dogstare:

von Karma is a terrible person, for sure, but I have to wonder if he would've committed murder were the situation not perfectly gift wrapped for him and he was shot moments prior, which only put him in an aggressive state of mind.

To be fair, the judge okayed the use of the metal detector for that reaction, not surgery. It's noninvasive, and the only issue would be if Von Karma had a pacemaker or similar implanted medical device, which he could disclose in private with the judge if necessary.

Surgery is particularly more thorny, but the judge doesn't specifically allow it - Karma confesses before the judge needs to make a call one way or the other.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

The big mystery of the series.
I mean, I assume Will Powers and Edgeworth weren't pro bono cases even if the latter is absolutely getting a family and friends discount and then some.

I think the answer is yes, but not much. He still has the office, and we know Grossberg also has an office, so defense lawyers do get paid. Presumably Phoenix is also doing some boring cases of little note between the big cases as well to keep the lights on. He's certainly not wealthy, but he's not starving either. Presumably as his reputation rises, he'll get more high profile folks who will pay him more, but we'll see how his financial situation pans out as the series progresses.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Welp, the accused confessed. That's an awfully short case! Should be wrapped up in what, 1 investigation update and one courtroom update?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

I think the object investigation stuff might be Nintendo's fault, rather than the developers'. Remember that the DS port of this game, which introduced this case, was fairly early on in the DS lifecycle, when Nintendo was still demanding that every game made for it had to heavily feature THE GAME-CHANGING REVOLUTIONARY NEW TOUCH SCREEN TECHNOLOGY! There were a lot of games around then that had unnecessary touchscreen gimmicks forced in to appease the great and terrible N.

I always found it amusing when game devs would put something like forcing the player to move the stylus in a circle as fast as possible. Just the fastest way to scratch the poo poo out of your bottom screen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Hey, look at that, Edgeworth found a sense of humor. Granted, it's bitterly cynical, but it's a start in the right direction.

And yes, the joke with Gumshoe is that he does indeed play janitor for Edgeworth in part due to his admiration for him (and perhaps partially out of a sense of trying to appeal to Edgeworth to not slash his living wage any lower).

You know, I don't think I ever inspected the KoP award to notice the detail about von Karma having received it multiple times. I thought he just didn't care for accolades, but that gives a different meaning!

I like his little smirk when teasing Ema about his car as well. It does a lot to humanize the guy now that he and Phoenix are on better terms with each other. Honestly he's one of the better "villain" turned good characters in fiction in my opinion. Granted, we don't have a lot of trust in him not to do shady stuff to clear his own name at this point, but we can hope he's turned over a new leaf.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Samovar posted:

Wright is weak to poisonous snake bites, is he Ema? Well, he should probably refrain from eating them, then!

But what if we put charcoal in the breading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

...! posted:

There's no L

But it's not Christmas?