Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this series is so iconic that it's honestly a joy seeing someone go in completely blind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Your Honor, my client would like to plead insanity. Among the evidence, he hired me as his lawyer.
:emptyquote:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Rythian posted:

To be honest, I just press everything every single time. Not only does that give you the most possible clues for what to present, it also gives you the most fun dialogue. :)
This

also, aside from like, one case in the second game (which almost nobody likes), you can press every statement without retribution, and you are in fact encouraged to do so

it's a game about lawyers, of course there's going to be a lot of dialogue! :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Polls 7 and 9 are the 2 statements with contradictory information, I think. I suggest you go after him on those points using the autopsy report and the fact that he said he never entered the apartment yet knew the phone wasn’t working. Also if the building was blacked out, how did he clearly see Larry’s face?
it's daytime :ssh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DKII posted:

What am I, the prosecutor? Do I really have to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that Mr. Sahwit is the killer just to get Larry off?
Welcome to the Ace Attorney series, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DKII posted:

Also, Harry Butz, Hairy Butts, haha. I don't usually find those funny but this game has broken through to me.
one of us, one of us

DKII posted:

Anyway, back to the game. One thing I can point out now after the fact: For the main contradiction on which we originally caught out Mr. Sahwit, the time being 1:00 PM (and specifically him hearing it), the witness wasn't actually lying! He was wrong, but that line was the only substantial part of his testimony where he wasn't lying, and the one he was most confident about, and it's what we used to unravel his whole story. That's a well-crafted narrative, and impressive for what's really more of a tutorial episode.
Oh yeah, the writing is superb. The occasional bad case aside, there's a reason these games are iconic.

Also - between the opening show how the crime was committed, and having the turnabout come from just one thing that the murderer doesn't realize will come back to bite them is very Columbo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

thats right everyone, our killer for this episode is...

Pink Mitt Romney!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

mia... :smith:

even when you know it's coming, maya crying over mia's body and phoenix feeling her go cold is still heartbreaking

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Leraika posted:

I know! I love poking and prodding and the silly things Phoenix says!
the most important skill to cultivate in these games is to realize which thing is plot-important enough that it'll prematurely end the investigation, so that you can examine everything else for flavor text, lest this happen to you

[Modnote: I like Awkward Zombie too, but c'mon that comic is from the sixth game and the OP says no spoilers]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 3, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Ghost Car posted:

I've seen it pointed out(/argued) before that he seems to deal with stuff that's deeply personally upsetting by thinking and talking about it as little as possible, except insofar as it involves the job he has to do. I didn't notice it when I played the game originally, because the overall impression he gives is not "this guy bottles up his feelings," but looking back at scenes like this one, it really does seem to be true. In another game I might write this off as "well, he's the PC, maybe it would make him less self-insertable to show him dealing with grief, so the writers just don't get into it," but he very much does have a distinct personality, so I don't know.
not sure if OP is planning on blind playthroughs of the other games so i'm spoiler tagging this just to be sure: in the second game "aggressively shutting down conversations when people try to ask him what's wrong" is like, his entire thing. And then in 3, when presented with evidence that his girlfriend was evil and a murderer, he chose to eat the evidence instead of dealing with that emotionally. He's real good at avoiding dealing with issues that he doesn't want to!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Jailer's Elegy is such a good song

really, the entire soundtrack is great, but that one really sets the tone

also now that we've gotten to this scene, I can post this comic to lighten the mood

achtungnight posted:

In most real life courts, I’m not sure Phoenix would be allowed to work this case, btw. Ties to the victim and defendant like former employment can be grounds for exclusion.
now, i know next to nothing about actual real life law, but i feel like that should only apply to the prosecution, because that would mean they'd be extra biased against the defendant.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i dont recall the specific details of every case, but i assume that going to see maya right now will result in a big fat "you can't talk to her again until you've finished investigating, dummy" message. so, y'know, maybe go poke around the office

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

DKII posted:

I don't know what brought on that animation, but this guy is adorable, can we keep him?
Gumshoe is, in fact, the best character

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

It's an anime thing - a cutesy gesture meant to resemble cats (or catgirls) holding up their 'paws'.

Example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:allears:
gumshoe's adorable. love this scruffy detective.