Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You might, uh, want to pay attention to characters' names. Most of them are some kind of a (usually properly horrible) pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cyouni posted:

Reasonable doubt? No such concept exists in Japanifornia!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Grossberg's name is meant to emphasise he's A Big Deal, it's German for "big mountain". Mia and Maya's surname straight-up means having supernatural powers or being clairvoyant.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Edgeworth plays to win. At all costs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

Will Powers kinda resembles Hugh Jackman.
Which is honestly a pretty Ace Attorney-ish name.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Sherlock Holmes line is much funnier nowadays than it was when this was released. A bit of an own goal there, Phoenix.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I would say it's more of an "I'm going to kill this man/woman/windbag" sort of look.
Yeah, that's definitely just him staring daggers at the witness.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Calling something that makes "ook" sounds a monkey sounds like pretty risky business to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

raifield posted:

I'm including that in the "few". Maybe I'm just misremembering the series, it's been a long time since I've played. I don't remember them operating like an episode of Columbo.
In most games it's just the first case. In this one it's the first two.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

whitehelm posted:

I'm in favor of not skipping past RftA, because I think it gives the beginning of JfA more emotional weight coming after a long intermission case....at least it did when I played the games (being really vague to avoid spoilers, I think you can figure out what I'm talking about). Also, I know in the Trilogy versions they updated the dialogue in JfA to take RftA into account but I don't remember the specifics.
Yeah, I'd play it as 1-5. It's a pretty good bridge into the second game regarding some characters' relationships.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 17, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maya would not a good Archie Goodwin make. I can see Gumshoe as Cramer, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not a fan of the bullet hole photo as evidence since from the way it's positioned, it could have hit Edgeworth senior while he was standing and he'd just have collapsed to where he was. Thankfully they make you go to the file anyway so you know there was a second shot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, then. Somehow none of that occured to me when playing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I also don't think this is the actual ghost of Mia and this is just Phoenix' imagination as he goes off on his wildest tangent, dunno if the game ever clarifies one way or the other.
Yeah, this was my interpretation of it as well. There are rules that ghosts have to abide by in this universe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You're right about Starr's gimmick becoming really annoying real quick, but don't you slander my pardner Marshall. The man's a picture-perfect poser and his theme song is utterly perfect in its cheesiness.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

what they're localizing as trilobite looks a lot like mackerel to me, and that's just about the most delicious lunch you can have
I think the idea is that it's two mackerel arranged into the shape of a trilobite - Starr's boxes generally tend to contain novelty dishes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You'd think that, but tradition tends to be pretty tenacious. The World Fantasy Award for genre writers used to be a bust of noted racist H. P. Lovecraft from the creation of the whole thing in 1975 until 2015, and it's not like people discovered any groundbreaking news about the man.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 3, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Malah posted:

Starr, on the other hand, is an outright hostile witness. Forget coordinating with the prosecutor before the trial; she pointedly withheld evidence from the official case while investigating on her own because of how thoroughly she distrusts the prosecutor's office. I can't say her involvement is more begrudging than, say, Dee Vasquez, but pushing her vendetta against Lana Skye is clearly more important to Starr than the practicalities of Edgeworth's trial technique.

Edgeworth was only willing to tolerate Starr's shenanigans when she wasn't actively damaging his case, and he doesn't have much to lose by cutting her down if it'll let him wrest control back from Starr while denying Phoenix any momentum. He's seen Phoenix's work from both sides now, so he knows how important it is to actively maneuver around to cut Phoenix off.
There's also one more thing to take into account: the last case changed Edgeworth's worldview quite a bit. He seems to be interested in what actually happened as opposed to just getting his guilty verdict now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I did not enjoy the neverending testimony of Angel Starr and her three pieces of surprise evidence that she is apparently not even going to be penalized for deliberately withholding.
Yeah, she's definitely Up There with the worst witnesses in the series. It's not even her bullshit, it's just that she's boring and her gimmick gets real old real quick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

it's like looking at a radioactive crayon.
It think he's literally meant to radiate energy. Bright colors, high contrast, lightning hairdo..

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

So he's like Zeus from Mt Olympus?
Hopefully slightly less of an rear end in a top hat. Shouldn't be that hard.

e: VVV Yeah, but they compared him to Zeus. Y'know, mass murderer and serial rapist.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 3, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

Edgeworth's going gently caress the rules I want the truth is always lovely to see. :allears:
Yeah, especially since it really is a turning point for his character. This is how he gets spinoff games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd remove that, as poignant as Edgeworth being forever haunted by the Blue Badger is.