Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I should mention that illegally acquiring evidence, regardless of whether it proves your case or not, is likely enough to get it barred from the court record. So if Phoenix did steal the wiretap, he has committed a crime and made the evidence illegal too. Even if he didn't steal it, entering April May's hotel room without her permission could be described as an act of trespass.

In my home country of New Zealand, there is judicial discretion for permitting evidence despite it being improperly obtained, but I don't know if US or Japanese courts would have similar laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Tree Reformat posted:

I like how no one is bothered by Maya just recording her call. Must have one-party consent laws, because otherwise without Mia explicitly consenting to that recording that's a crime presented and effectively admitted to the court right there.

Two party consent is actually pretty uncommon outside of a handful of US states, AFAIK. The only country that I can find outside the US that does that is Germany.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

achtungnight posted:

I have to wonder why Edgeworth is obscuring the existence of the other guest in Ms. May’s room, though.

My guess is he takes an "Occam's Razor" approach and assumes that it's unlikely a random guest would be involved in the crime just because they were possibly staying in the same room as the witness. It would be very easy for that person to claim they weren't present at the time, and Edgeworth wouldn't press any harder.

He knows that the defense will seize on any small possibility that someone else is involved in the crime (evidenced by the fact that the mere existence of this other person gave Phoenix another trial day) and would rather prevent him from "wasting time" or "obscuring the truth" by keeping him unaware. That way, Phoenix can only question the actual witness, who presents a seemingly ironclad testimony. That, or bring in the Bellboy who has been instructed not to disclose the existence of the other guest.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

We rag on Redd White, but it's still a better name than Hot Coldman.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I think you've done that thing with the poll again, cause I can't vote.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

It's wacky because they already had Mia step in with a Deus Ex Machina style piece of evidence, only to have her save the day with yet another. For what possible purpose?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

You appear to have posted twice.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

blackmongoose posted:

A Steel Samurai box set autographed by Will Powers

Alternatively, we get Will Powers to come in dressed as the Steel Samurai, extolling Edgeworth to fight for justice alongside Phoenix.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

They were all orphans from the same orphanage, and Maya's mother was their caretaker.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I don't know if this is a matter of Japanese law or not, but apparently the Ace Attorney world doesn't believe in the defense being able to call witnesses.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Your poll isn't working. Won't let me click anything.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Quackles posted:

The awful truth: Phoenix isn't able to investigate murders without a spunky, comic foil to work alongside.

He made a promise to Mia that he wouldn't take cases without one.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh, I just remembered. Someone was playing Ace Attorney 3, and I shared with them the beta designs for Phoenix, Edgeworth, Maya, Grossberg, and Mia.

Upon closer inspection, Maya's beta design looks like Ema, which makes her feeling like budget Maya at the start of this case all the more funny. She's gone full circle!

Wait, so that ghoulish bloke is meant to be Edgeworth? Yeesh.

I feel like they recycled that design for Von Karma.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Well, the character concepts are "Attorney, Prosecutor, Assistant, Mentor, and Detective"

Which one of those people is meant to be a detective?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

DKII posted:

Hmm... It must be hiding on the back of the victim's note.

No, he clearly transcribed it on the back of Phoenix's Attorney Badge, believing that no one would ever see it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

DKII posted:

Sound: Drama Pound

One last gasp for Gant? What an interesting new sprite. Reminds me a lot of our first real villain, when we had him on the ropes:

Considering the amount of parallels between this case and Turnabout Sisters, it could be a deliberate reference.