Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Your Honor, my client would like to plead insanity. Among the evidence, he hired me as his lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I looked it up and Japan’s Constitution does have a protection against self incrimination called Article 38. I’m not surprised they’re taking some liberties with the legal system in this game. Usually the prosecution starts off by establishing there was a murder- a police officer testifying about finding the body on a call is the usual way. The game just skips over that. At least being seen leaving the scene alone is not evidence of our client’s guilt. Although if his fingerprints are on the weapon, that would be bad.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Polls 7 and 9 are the 2 statements with contradictory information, I think. I suggest you go after him on those points using the autopsy report and the fact that he said he never entered the apartment yet knew the phone wasn’t working. Also if the building was blacked out, how did he clearly see Larry’s face?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I know it’s daytime but they were inside and there may not be good light throughout the hallway. What he saw could thus be in doubt.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I called it, he was guilty!

When something smells, it's usually the Butz!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The problem with audience driven narrative here is there's only one way to conquer each case (I think) and you can usually figure it out pretty easy. If you're stumped and want help from people who maybe have played the game, a poll might be good. Otherwise, it may not be necessary.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sound the clock!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
They kill off Mia in the second episode? drat mentor occupational hazards!

I wonder if Larry will get accused again?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dun Dun DUNNN!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cartel Boss- will you join my organization?

Goon- How many people are in your gang?

Boss- um…. Including yourself, were you to join?

Goon- sure.

Wannabe Cartel Boss- Two!

Thx to Scott Kurtz for that one.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go see this Grossberg. My guess is we can’t find him or he will want us as co-counsel.

In most real life courts, I’m not sure Phoenix would be allowed to work this case, btw. Ties to the victim and defendant like former employment can be grounds for exclusion.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Scene of the crime. Maybe we can pick up a clue we missed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Lets break into the Gatewater and get more evidence.

It’s what the President would do.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Strange that my real life cat has never put on that pose.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
On the plus side, Maya, an incompetent lawyer is grounds for appeal.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

LJN92 posted:

I should mention that illegally acquiring evidence, regardless of whether it proves your case or not, is likely enough to get it barred from the court record. So if Phoenix did steal the wiretap, he has committed a crime and made the evidence illegal too. Even if he didn't steal it, entering April May's hotel room without her permission could be described as an act of trespass.

In my home country of New Zealand, there is judicial discretion for permitting evidence despite it being improperly obtained, but I don't know if US or Japanese courts would have similar laws.

In the US, illegally obtained evidence is called ‘fruit of the poison tree’ and not permitted in court under any circumstances of which I am aware. Of course, that doesn’t stop a few tv attorneys I’ve seen from using it anyway and counting on jury memory and emotional state overriding judicial instructions to exclude such evidence- if they’re even caught using it. There are ways to argue it was in fact legal- a good example here is to use the fact that the drawer was in plain sight and got Phoenix’s attention. Then when he opened it, the wiretap device was in plain sight and therefore could be admitted. But the circumstances under which he was able to access the drawer were questionable, so maybe he and other lawyers could argue about that. There’s an interesting twist, however. Phoenix isn’t the prosecutor here. Yet he will be using this evidence to prove both his client’s innocence and someone else’s guilt. It’s already established that we need to prove the guilt of the real murderer, not just reasonable doubt that our client is guilty. So we have a higher standard. And the prosecutor will probably not be helping us. This is not an attorney’s usual task.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Before she died, the victim wrote the killer’s name? She can’t have done that if she died instantly! Also, where is Maya’s motive?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hoo boy, the prosecutor is more challenging this time. We’ll see what happens next.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m guessing the Thinker is worth presenting here. It’s hard to tell it’s a clock from a distance if you don’t already know.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The cell phone conversation.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Watching She-Hulk on Disney plus right now, can’t help but wonder what kind of shenanigans she would get up to if facing Ace Attorney characters and vice versa.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Geez, they never give the poor bellboy a name?

It seems Edgeworth, and maybe every other prosecutor in this game, is the “let’s convict the defendant” type of prosecutor vs the “let’s seek justice & truth” type. The latter doesn’t usually go for the sort of witness coaching evidenced here. I have to wonder why Edgeworth is obscuring the existence of the other guest in Ms. May’s room, though. No evidence he’s directly involved in the murder, so therefore he’s irrelevant to Edgeworth until Phoenix convinces the Judge to think otherwise? Going for an easy win by not dwelling on a tangent? Did Edgeworth genuinely not know or not care about this other guest? Did Gumshoe not throughly investigate the guest and Edgeworth was trying to cover his rear end (seems strange given Edgeworth dwelling on Gumshoe’s evaluation earlier, but possible)? Or are there more sinister motives in play?

I too find it surprising that Phoenix didn’t get the bellboy to identify the man staying with Ms. May. I guess the fact that he exists and that Edgeworth was trying to hide that fact is drama enough for the cliffhanger.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 27, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Gatewater- let’s go for a big amount of evidence.

Edit- poll doesn’t seem to be working. I don’t see a cast your vote button and it’s not saving my choice.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 29, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

raifield posted:

The bellboy is the living embodiment of "Trying Too Hard". Here is a man who always wanted to be a bellboy when he grew up and nothing more. Look ma, top of the world!

Yeah, even Michael J Fox got to be a concierge.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 2, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Question- do we need to talk to Grossberg to progress? IE- could we press April hard to identify Mr. White, then skip talking to Grossberg and keep the photo? I'm betting it's useless even if we can, but I'm still curious.

That caption on the back has me curious, too. What is the DL-6 Incident? Maybe it will come up again when we meet Mr. White.

Geez, with that name I can't help but wonder if he's related to a certain Clue character who was also a potential murderer. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, good you have an alternate save where you kept it then (I assume). I should confess something before it pops up- I have read about, watched, and played (only the first case to completion, I quickly decided it wasn’t my cup of tea playing) these games but never enough to get into story specifics. I am trying to put my blinders on and react to them like a new reader avoiding spoilers and coming across as a speculator. Feel free to slap me if I fail.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Or Pussy Galore and some other James Bond characters’ names.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Lots of arrogant jerks in this game. Edgeworth, Sahwit, May, now White. I have a feeling we’ll meet more and they’ll get worse too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Blackmail… wonder if there are other victims. Gumshoe? Edgeworth? The Bellboy?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Aww, I would have liked to see Maya with Pom-Poms. And the judge’s reaction to it. ;)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The floor plans- we haven’t used them yet and I think they show a wall obstructing the way White says he saw our defendant run.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m actually hoping we lose the badge at some point (and get a special game over). People pushing it was funny at first, now it’s just annoying.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Rythian posted:

Sorry, it's actually still funny.

Not to me. Then again, I suppose sense of humor can vary. But encouraging a pratfall in a game with limited lives just doesn’t make sense to me. Nor does it in real life.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
What the heck? I got vote for it at least once. Show em our badge.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Just wait. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, I'm really not liking Edgeworth after this bit. Hope he gets some sort of comeuppance. Definitely not seeing anything admirable in this line of behavior, it better not be his full character arc.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree, this ending is a bit convoluted. But hey, at least it fits in universe. Hopefully future villains won’t need a deus ex machina to defeat. Or if they do, Phoenix will be able to handle producing one on his own.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Screw that, let’s call in our favor with the most vicious prison gang in the Ace Attorney universe. They can make White’s stay in prison a living hell even if they don’t kill him!

Is what I have happening in my head canon anyway. :black101:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Leraika posted:

This is a great LP and the amount of work you've put into it is amazing! Take all the time you need to not burn out.

Seconded.

Turnabout Samurai is my second favorite Phoenix case of all time, after the fanfic Turnabout Storm. The climactic case of this game is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I've seen characters named Jack Hammer outside this game. Haven't seen any other pun-named characters named Will Powers, just ones named Max Powers.

Steel Samurai looks like a pretty cool show. I say this as someone who grew up watching Ultraman, Robocop, and TMNT.

This case might seem silly at first, but I bet it gets serious real fast.