Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
I'm gonna join the echo chamber here, both for "Ooh, blind Ace Attorney!" and "yeah polling every time will become extremely slow."

....Nothing else to really contribute, though. Tutorial Land be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

DKII posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that, given everything is judge-driven. I'll probably keep calling them the jury until this trial is over to maintain the initial impression.

Selling tickets to a high-profile trial is an interesting idea. Raise money for the victims? Or just bonuses for the prosecution? Hmm...

They do seem like the jury, but there's too many of them. The trials are just a public event.

Although where the money from ticket sales goes is an interesting question given the state of the court system. I want to add more to that statement but honestly saying anything beyond that would probably qualify as "too much."

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

DKII posted:

As we all know, the time difference between here and Paris is nine hours!

Have we ever figured out where "here" is yet? Apparently Paris is nine hours ahead of Los Angeles, and the US west coast in general, among other things. So maybe there, or somewhere else in California? I could imagine the courts being this screwy in Los Angeles.

Someone said so earlier, but in JP, the game is explicitly set in Japan. But I'm told that when someone asked a rep from Capcom why "California" had a bunch of really obvious Japan-isms, the official answer given was that it takes place in an Alternate California in which Japanese Internment during WWII wasn't a thing, and they were instead allowed to influence the local culture.

It's long enough ago that I don't remember where I heard this exactly, but I feel like it raises more questions than it answers. Really uncomfortable questions.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

The real answer is that Capcom didn't imagine the series would have any legs, so they went ahead and localized references to Japanese culture and then wound up writing themselves into a corner later on.

I mean, it's not too bad to cover up in AA1, but the localization team couldn't have predicted a lot of the later things. If anything I'm glad they leaned into it rather than just throwing up their hands and going "welp, jig's up!"

SirSamVimes posted:

The goofy Japanifornia setting is great and I am glad that the localisers set the game in LA.

Also this, wouldn't give up Japanifornia.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
"Man, gently caress this guy" is pretty much the appropriate response to him, yeah. I mean...you got a better picture of him on the case showcase image. Just loving look at him and tell me he's not the biggest sleazebag on the planet.

He does have one of my favorite names in this game, though.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

Leraika posted:

it largely depends on how willing you are to poke and prod at literally everything you can to get flavor text.

But some of the games' best lines are in flavor text!

Also, has anyone, ever, actually written out their killer's name in blood with no further context? Like, even written in blood, there are so many things that an out of context name could mean. I dunno, this plot device comes up often in a lot of things and it never fails to feel forced. Especially in situations like this where it's the world's worst frame.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

DKII posted:

A common theme in Japanese detective stories is an incompetent police force. I'm not sure if that's a parody or more reflecting reality, but let's see what we're dealing with here...

I mean, I won't shut it down, since it's not like I have the experience to say one way or the other, but I'd imagine it's just as much that it's hard to have a detective story when the police are good at their job. Like if that were the case, who needs the detective? Kinda like town guards in western RPGs, they have to be unhelpful so that the hero can do his thing.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

Sure, but there's different levels of competence. Usually the point of a detective story is that the crime is particularly unusual and tricky, you can have the police be pretty good at their jobs and still fail to solve it (especially if there are time sensitive elements.)

That is true, too. Most authors just can't quite pull it off, I guess. Especially nowadays where you can get just about anything published, and if that doesn't work you can self-publish, where back in Ye Olden Dayse(tm), publishers had a lot more curation of what they were willing to put out there, for...a lot of reasons that just don't really hold any more.

It's a matter of how much more product exists now, is what I'm getting at.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
If we've gotta give Maya the "your lawyer has fallen into the ether" bad news, might as well give her the "but I have evidence" good news! To that end, we should investigate the place of our employment.

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
I mean, it probably won't get us anywhere (i actually don't remember, it's forever since i've played aa1) but ehh, we got what we came for. Why not show Maya that we have her phone and she can't? ...Wait that sounds mean.

And yes, Gumshoe is a treasure and should be treated as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haar_Dragon
Aug 21, 2015
...I never actually knew Edgeworth's photo showed up this early. Interesting!

Anyway, yeah, this case in particular makes a hell of a first impression - because let's be real, last case was the tutorial mission. Decent enough, but this one is where the game really wants to grab you. Does a good job too, it seems, seeing as I've never heard anyone say "Oh yeah, I didn't really like 1-2 that much." I didn't even catch all the attention to detail this early in the case my first go-round, it's great!