Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Something Awful Last Read browser plugin also adds a "link directly to this post" button underneath the post itself, with the "show only posts by this user" and the "mark this post last read" buttons.

Also, glad I'm finally caught up on this, I love these games and have played through the first one three times over the years, twice on DS and once in the 3DS port of Trilogy. Seeing a blind playthrough is real interesting.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truthkeeper posted:

I'm going with Oldbag, just because I think Edgeworth hates her as much as we do and will go along with it.
Everyone hates an Oldbag.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tarezax posted:

I think it's partly just the genre shift. A lot of JP media to make it over in that period featured broody characters like Squall in FF8, which gave you a lot of "..." dialogue boxes. The closest you get to that here is Edgeworth, but in court it's his job to talk so you don't get much of those. Plus I think the animations can get across a silent reaction without wasting a dialogue box
IIRC Squall's incessant "..." was actually somewhat increased in the localization. I know his "whatever" catchphrase was used in places its Japanese equivalent wasn't in the localization.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Carbon dioxide posted:

Japanifornia is probably more walkable than California.
They could also hypothetically be taking public transportation, like buses and trains. I don't have a license, it's how I get anywhere I can't walk to. I'm on the East Coast, so I don't know how the public transit is out on the West Coast, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

achtungnight posted:

The fanboy seems tolerable, but needs to learn not to accuse people without proof.
Yes, he should become a moral, upstanding member of society like our protagonist, who would never do such a thing. :objection:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an Awkward Zombie comic I'd post in response to that, but it's definitely spoiler territory. If you follow that comic you probably know what I mean here. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

achtungnight posted:

Studio One where the rehearsal was taking place and the script would have been needed, presumably it was the episode they were shooting that day?
:yeah:

It would have been easy to forget you left a script there after discovering a dead body there too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I hope the two of you had fun with whatever celebrating you did today.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also I was assuming the doo-dad on his hat is a topknot, because he's the samurai show director. Not sure how that scans, and also dunno if the towel signifies anything other than his greasiness.
I'm assuming he's wearing a piece of the show's official merch.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I've been trying to avoid the memeing as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

For Phoenix, that's nothing new.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah. This game manages to do surprisingly a lot with very little.

On that note, DKII - there's a climactic bit in a couple of updates (once you manage to figure out who the murderer is) that you really want to capture on video. Both to demonstrate the above, and because it doesn't really work as gifs with "music starts" and "music ends" notes.
Considering DKII took a week off to get an update buffer ready I'd bet they're past the point you're thinking of already.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rapid-fire revelations that challenge your understanding of the case? The real Ace Attorney starts here!

Cody must really be an obsessive Steel Samurai fan of he can tell who's in the suit through an affected limp.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This comes up every so often and the general advice is "filter by the OP's posts and set to one per page". Either that or "put OP on ignore so you have to click on their posts to see them in a new tab", but the latter seems kind of rude.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omobono posted:

How many GBA/DS players got their mind blown when they realized the sky in the employee area wasn't a ceiling painted blue?
I know I was one. This particular mistake is possible only on low resolution screens.

what the gently caress that was an S and not a reverse 2? :psyduck:
Even playing on DS I figured the Employee Area was outside, though as much through the inference of there being a trailer there as through conveyance via the graphics present in the game.

Similarly, I never noticed the "T" on the gate, but I did figure the letter on there was an "S" and not a "2".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Judging by the state of the studios, Penny is almost certainly an underpaid, if not unpaid, intern. She does as much cleaning as she's paid to do, and I respect that.
See, I just assume "intern" and "under-/unpaid" go together like "corpos" and "wage theft".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, we don't know where the Steel Samurai costume is yet, and it's the third day of trial so unless it comes up in the proceedings today it's unlikely we're going to find it. There seems to be a good chance that it's been incinerated, though. And I don't know how much framing WP actually matters, per se, it seems like this set-up was more to create an alibi for the producer who's the studio bigwigs' darling (and also probably has dirt on a few of them through her "mafia" connections).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Foxfire_ posted:

The whole frame job seems kinda weird/pointless.

Dee already had success disappearing a body from the death fence, and had goons at the ready to dispose of Phoenix and Maya.

"High profile murder at TV studio" also seems worse for her reputation than "TV star vanishes mysteriously"
I dunno, maybe she couldn't "disappear" the body in time to avoid notice from the others at the studio? And I can't imagine Oldbag staying quiet about the death of her heartthrob for any amount of bonus pay. Also have to wonder how many Yakuza goons she had sitting in on that meeting.

Or maybe she panicked after the act and did the setup in the heat of the moment?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So has Phoenix, so far.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure blackmail is still illegal anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detention Center. We have to talk to Edgeworth before we start assuming we're going to be defending him. I mean, we all know we are going to be, but we have to go through the motions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

bladeworksmaster posted:

Think it’s only natural to explore the park thoroughly. After all, Gumshoe’s got a meeting to attend to so let’s give the man some time to get that done.
:yeah:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think we just haven't shown him our badge enough! We have to show him we have the persistence and tenacity to win the case!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's right, so he'll be being the most unhelpful person imaginable of his own free will this time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LJN92 posted:

They were all orphans from the same orphanage, and Maya's mother was their caretaker.
Channeling spirits causes memory loss. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Got called to jury duty once, but I forgot the court date and never showed up. Nothing ever came of it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ah, the dreaded schedule slip. Happens to the best of us.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Unfortunately for Nick, this courtroom is run by kangaroos. Seemingly literally, sometimes, with the way the Judge hops from verdict to verdict.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Koalas are pretty darn vicious. Don't mess with them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean yeah, our Judge's profile specifically calls him out as wishy-washy, but von Karma couldn't have been able to get this one specific judge his entire 40-year(?) prosecuting career. He might have the pull to choose to what judge he works with nowadays, but certainly he couldn't end up in the same courtroom for every case he handled?

His ridiculous power in the courtroom is in-universe due to his flawless prosecuting record.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Samovar posted:

Again, another great line from Phoenix here.

But alas, I am too dumb/innatentive to propose a grid choice... Unless it's C5? Is Edgeworth right-handed?
The murder weapon has prints from Edgeworth's right hand and the shooter is using their left. :objection:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

But, the hand the gun is in in the first screenshot does match Lotta's photo! :eng101:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Koboje posted:

I think any generous interpetation of Lotta here is unwarranted, she lied and claimed she saw something for attention and knew it. So perjury you would think would be a pretty massive terrible thing, but how could you prove that a witness thought they saw something vs what they actually saw? The mind can also just plain fabricate evidence for itself at times though so even if it is a blatant falsehood compared to the facts, can you actually charge someone with perjury for saying they saw something that simply could not have been observed? In this specific case the witness outright WITHDREW her version of what she thought she saw and claimed to not see poo poo, I feel that would be the same as admitting she lied, as compared to just sticking with her story knowing it is not like someone can prove beyond a reasonable doubt she knowingly lied.
The operative words here being "reasonable doubt". This is Japanifornina, courts here don't operate on "reasonable doubt". They operate on "guilty until proven innocent". Might be better to just say "oopsie, I made a fucky-wucky" and hope the prosecutor's too busy to take you to court.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, pretty sure in Japanifornia Perjury does not even exist. Have we even had a witness who didn't lie at some point?
Gumshoe, perhaps? He's not a liar, he's just not very good at his job.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Larry managing to accidentally singlehandedly create a Loch Ness monster rumor just by being Larry is very :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Foxfire_ posted:

It's pretty surprising that DKII has never seen a traditional American kotatsu before.
DKII should get one, and then eat some traditional American burgers at it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe the building code makers and inspectors in Japanifornia are roughly as competent as the police force :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, he could be overacting. You never know. Or maybe he will be going crazier over time. That has happened with our adversaries before.
Everyone in Japanifornia is constantly chewing the scenery, it's full to the brim with overactors.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Say the line, Phoenix!

:objection: : :sigh: "Almost Christmas means it wasn't Christmas..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

...! posted:

Show the attorney badge
But who do we show it to? Larry wasn't impressed, so we need to go find someone else to bother "question".