Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:dance: Here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance:

I'm going to enjoy seeing this LP through to the bitter end.

quote:

We only have two things right now - our attorney's badge (looks like we really are a defense attorney) and the autopsy report for the victim. If these two things are really all the evidence we have as a murder trial is starting, our client is screwed.

Here's hoping it doesn't become a habit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

achtungnight posted:

Your Honor, my client would like to plead insanity. Among the evidence, he hired me as his lawyer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Faillen Angel posted:

The US's is, like, 94%.

:eyepop:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

There's a whole form of playground sign language in Japanese using sounds and gestures to translate to syllables. The one that most immediately comes to mind is clapping one's hands, "pan"; holding up two fingers for "tsu"; making a circle, "maru"; and pretending to look at something in the distance, "mie". That runs together into a sentence that means "Your underwear is showing." Seen that one in two different contexts. There's also a mini-language using the pronunciations of numbers to spell words. Japanese has few enough syllables (and enough different ways to pronounce numbers) that it's possible to do all sorts of things.

I think there was a reference to this in Bowser's Inside Story, where the combination to a safe means something in this mini-language.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

We don't get another shot, though. The gavel bangs and the doors are shut in our face. We're then dumped unceremoniously back to the title screen. I hope you saved recently!

Starting with game, like, 5, they got a lot nicer about this - you get the option to Continue and pick back up from the same testimony.

Fitting, because the trials started getting longer.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Be prepared for lots, lots more punny names going forward. :frog:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Side note: That's not the jury in the stands there. Just the crowd.

I'm told they sell tickets.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Haar_Dragon posted:

Someone said so earlier, but in JP, the game is explicitly set in Japan. But I'm told that when someone asked a rep from Capcom why "California" had a bunch of really obvious Japan-isms, the official answer given was that it takes place in an Alternate California in which Japanese Internment during WWII wasn't a thing, and they were instead allowed to influence the local culture.

This never really goes away. I'll point out examples when they show up.

DKII posted:

Tokyo is 7 hours ahead of Paris. That means the localizers tampered with the evidence!

I believe it was originally that she had traveled to the US of A from Tokyo. Same time difference, conveniently.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tarezax posted:

His speech quirk originally was the use of gratuitous English inserted into his sentences.

The anime went with the original gratuitous English, and it is hilarious. I'll post a video a bit later on when we're out of spoiler territory.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

how would making me play as the detective lead to a story in which the detective would be competent?

[Disco Elysium intensifies]

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

I don't think that kind of conflict of interest applies to the defense - after all, you're allowed to defend yourself, which seems like the biggest possible conflict there could be. If the defendant approves them, and they're qualified, it's hard to imagine anyone in the judicial system objecting to it. It definitely exists for most of the other courtroom positions, though, and is at least a potential disqualifying factor for jurors, in universes where juries exist.

I somehow get the feeling that no one in the Ace Attorneyverse has heard of conflict-of-interest laws for any legal position.

Just call it a hunch.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Wow, ok. I'm going to skip commenting on that outfit. What's with the hands up in almost a boxer ready position, though?

It's an anime thing - a cutesy gesture meant to resemble cats (or catgirls) holding up their 'paws'.

Example:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Court Record is... weird. They don't ever really say how it works.

It could be an absolute font of comedy in the right hands, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gumshoe's great, honestly.

Edit: (The update is near the bottom of the previous page.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

These presses are at least good for revealing more Edgeworth sprites. He comes off like a smug rear end in a top hat in every single one though.

That's our Edgeworth!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Fun fact: In all versions through the DS version, there was a typo here and it read "wonton winking".

They fixed it for the collection.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welcome to the heart and soul of Phoenix Wright: the multi-day trial. With few exceptions, every case from here will play out over the course of several days.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay April May is a cromulent name, but Redd White??? Come on that's obviously a fake name, these people are jerkin you around.

Welcome to Ace Attorney. :objection:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So in the Japanese version, Redd White's verbal tic isn't making up grandiloquent words. It's gratuitously using English, instead.

My first exposure to this was when I was innocently watching the anime, and it is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6R0gc8pnmE

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raifield posted:

Many, many years. But if you told me he was born with that moustache, I'd believe it.

quote:

"Ah, the mustache of my youth..." Like the scent of fresh lemon, you see.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, they do say a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. :objection:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here we go here we go here we go here we go :dance:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can't believe I've played these games near half a dozen times and I never noticed the Judge's grin before now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'd argue that Turnabout Samurai is one of the best cases Ace Attorney 1 has to offer.

Also, fun fact: Maya's favorite food in the Japanese version is ramen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mr_stibbons posted:

24 may be a granpa by anime standards, but it's still amazing prodigy by real lawyer standards. Phoenix would have to have skipped a couple grades to have passed the bar by 24. The game is just trying to find a compromise.

The real question is: will it lean into the anime side, or the lawyer side?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SirSamVimes posted:

A lot of the humour in Phoenix Wright comes from the protagonist being a sarcastic straight man to the goofy anime antics around him, so pairing him up with a goofy anime sidekick just means we get more of that and it rules.

Honestly, the default unit of Ace Attorney is the comedy duo.

• Phoenix is the straight man to the partner's funnyman... ditto the wacky witnesses and others.
• The prosecutor is the straight man to Phoenix's funnyman, as he does ridiculous antics in the courtroom to keep in the trial.

And so on. The roles trade back and forth depending on circumstance.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Do you have an opinion on doughnut holes?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

By the way: Be sure to examine the stepladder in the Employee Area. No reason. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Huh? The only ladder I see there doesn't light up and just says "No clues here" when I click on it.

Oh, huh. I must be thinking of another ladder. Never mind, then.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SoundwaveAU posted:

For the record, it does indeed appear to be a stepladder.

But that also makes it a ladder, right? :objection:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cyouni posted:

I learned the perpage=1 trick from the Umineko LP, incidentally, which as you can imagine featured A Lot of images on pages.

Without perpage=1, it cannot be seen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Sorry, kids have been sick again so no update tonight, but feel free to continue with the "..." discussion. I was real tempted to just post "..." in this reply.

"..."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SoundwaveAU posted:

These posts can only be the work of THAT person.

I'm told that "that person" is the translation of a particular sentence construct in Japanese that's hard to turn into English without being clunky-sounding, or rewriting entire sentences entirely.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DKII posted:

Wait, so how are they running around town during these investigations then? Is Maya driving? Prodigious taxi usage?

In the anime, Phoenix makes do with a bicycle.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Commander Keene posted:

They could also hypothetically be taking public transportation, like buses and trains. I don't have a license, it's how I get anywhere I can't walk to. I'm on the East Coast, so I don't know how the public transit is out on the West Coast, though.

In actual LA, which I have seen, there is almost no public transit. I think there might be buses somewhere or other, but most of getting around is done by the infamous LA freeways— and it takes an hour to get anywhere!

In Japanifornia, who knows? I think I remember Maya mentioning she took the train to get to Phoenix's office at one point.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

theshim posted:

Mia's here! That can only mean one thing...

Is Mia.......a clock?!

No, no, Mia's clearly a statue :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Tree Reformat posted:

Same, but in a deep, drawn out contralto that makes her sound like a Broadway diva. Who is talking completely seriously about a goofy monkey statueclock.

Doesn't Dee have low-pitched voice blips when other female characters have high-pitched ones? That might be how her voice actually sounds.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, the trading card subplot. Turnabout Samurai really is "These people are wacky, the case". :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What a trying trial!