Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

theshim posted:

In fairness, nearly everything you need to examine actually stands out reasonably well, so you don't usually need to spend ages pixel hunting.

Right up until you're hunting for that One Thing You Missed to advance and can't find to save your (client's) life. I adore the Phoenix trilogy and have played them easily a dozen times and I still find myself pixel hunting on occasion. You do at least find some great flavor text that way. The quality of life improvements in recent entries are really great and this is high on the list along with restarting from the specific testimony segment or question if you run out of health in a trial rather than going back to your last save or an semi-arbitrarily defined checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Edgeworth is the living incarnation of :smug: in this update.

And you were saying he had no smiles in his sprite sheet.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

which is explained exactly once back in case 2 and may never be mentioned again.

Pretty sure it's never brought up again. It's just video games from 1-2 on.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

Maya's not really in any personal trouble here. She's either really worried about seeing the finale of The Steel Samurai or concerned she won't have a job if we don't win this case.

Search your heart, you know exactly which of these is Maya's concern.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Truthkeeper posted:

You know what? I'm going to be a big enough man to admit that I completely loving forgot about this twist in the decade-plus since I last played this one.

Same. I do replay AA games every couple of years, but I rarely play this case because the others are either foundational to the series (Mia's death in case 2), a blast to play (both of the remaining cases), or both (case 4). I don't even remember whodunnit in this case, though I have some theories based on what we've seen so far.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

FoolyCharged posted:

Didn't Feenie already resolve that lie?

Doesn't mean the witness respects him enough to bother trotting out a new one. From a gameplay perspective it's also a good way to ease players into the day's testimony and engage them with the case again.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
His streak is totally intact: Edgeworth always gets a guilty verdict...for someone. It's just not always the listed defendant.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Quackles posted:

That woman sure has a lotta hair.

She seems pretty mad, too. I think Phoenix is going to be in a lotta trouble.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

Are there country redneck types in Japan? What did this conversation look like in Japanese? It's localized really well.

Doncha know we got us country types in this here Japanifornia?

I believe Lotta has a Kansai accent in the original, which has somewhat similar connotations as a US southern accent. It's frequently localized that way, at least, especially around the time this game was first translated.

This series has an absolutely amazing localization. All the names are separately punny in Japanese and English

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

...! posted:

The second time, they had purposely summoned way more potential jurors than necessary.

The California system takes this to an extreme. You get put into one group of many (think 10-20 per day), and then the night before you call in or check a website and they tell you whether your group might have to show up at the courthouse. If your group is potentially needed, you check again in the late morning to confirm whether you actually have to show. Once you get there I think there's one more round of winnowing based on how many trials settled or dropped charges at the last second before the regular selection process kicks in with the attorneys.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

You sank my battleship! Pawn to C5.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

(Because of DL-6...?)

Didn't DL-6 happen around the end of December? Does the school system in this game run on calendar years instead of Fall-to-Spring?

The Japanese (and thus Japanifornian) school year runs from April to December.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

Her science-glasses are tinted. I don't know what to make of that yet.

They're literally rose-tinted glasses.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

MarquiseMindfang posted:

These are some Advance Wars looking characters.

Andy, ???, Sonja, Kanbei and Kindle.

Caulder, maybe? Missing the facial hair but a somewhat similar sallow countenance. I could see art of Hawke that portrayed him like this, even if canon doesn't.

The "Phoenix" here also feels very Mega Man to me.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Quackles posted:

Sonic the Edgeworth?

No, wait, Sonic is more of a Phoenix. But that makes Edgeworth either Knuckles... or Miles Prower Tails. Not sure which fits more.

Definitely Knuckles. He wears red and is mildly antagonistic and only grumpily acknowledges friendship with Phoenix.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

bunnyofdoom posted:

Does this mean you are stopping after the first and not going into Justice for All next?

Either way, this has been a blast.

It's been downright amazing to see someone actually get through AA1 as a screenshot LP, especially of this quality. Big props to DKII.

I would also believe that JFA would be its own thread, and so this thread would come to an end.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DKII posted:

So it was the witness who took the victim's life...

and then proved so with her own testimony!

This is unprecedented!

Has the judge been attending the same trials we have?

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Congrats on making it through the marathon! I've played the original AA1 (and especially Turnabout Goodbye and Rise from the Ashes) easily a dozen times and I've never seen a bunch of the alternate dialogue you showed off or any of the new translation. Janet Hsu did a great job 20 years ago, but seeing how the new translation fixes some of the occasionally awkward dialogue was really really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Though one I've been wondering about is the police badge, which looks like either a claw machine or a person holding it up. Is that from anything? We see it on a couple of characters; here's a shot where you can see it on Jake from the same update:

Oh lol I always thought that was a cowboy hat lapel pin because he's Jake Marshall. I never noticed Gant had the same one...