Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It’s all going a bit wrong, a strange mist has risen from the seas, with it a new virus, the Pandora Virus - which causes people to go mad and walk into the water, those who have so far resisted are dealing with the very world around them mutating and changing.
This would be bad enough, but now something is coming FROM the sea, and it’s not the humans who walked into it.
Well, not recognisably.

We are Phoenix Point - at our height we were the ones who protected the world from the strange, cosmic horrors that threaten it. Then after a slight disaster on the moon, we suffered budget cuts and disgrace.
We failed to stop the Pandora virus from wrecking the world that was, now we need to fight to save the world that is.

The fight for Humanity starts here.

Welcome to my Let's play of Phoenix Point - a Xcom like game from the original creators of X-com, where we fight lovecraftian monsters and try to save humanity. I’ll be playing with all available DLC, but it should be noted I have yet to complete the game - so there is a good chance this will see me crashing and burning.
I’ve played about 20 hours, which is enough to know the basics, but that is over several restarts, so it’s not enough to spoil any of the later storyline.

Of course, I, being me, will of course make things harder on myself, as there is no shadowy council in this game, so I shall create one myself!
I will of course have a list of players to rename my soldiers, but on top of that, I’m putting the blame opportunity into your hand of directing my research, manufacturing and my relationship with the three main factions in the game.

To start with, Here is the tutorial - This is not because I need to learn the game, but it gives a good feel for the mechanics and some storyline.

So we have our base!

We’re located in the former nation of Tunisia, with a unknown contact to the south.

The base has all the basics, and has space to expand to five more slots. At the moment we’re still in the softer tutorial mode, but soon we will be able to use our materials to expand this.

Our manticore is loaded with all five soldiers we have available. The way I think this would work best is if people grab themselves a soldier and choose their upgrades.

I guess we should get on to customizing them! Most of the time they will be wearing helmets, but the option to hide it is there - as voices are an option, here is a short video running through the options - 2 of the characters are unique, but we will have plenty of other options.

Jacob has a skill up, he can get access to dash, which gives him extra movement for will points.

Sophia also has access to Self Defense - which would boost her pistol shill and hearing range.

So let’s make this first come first served on the characters, grab one, let me know if you want to rename them (I’m not 100% sure Jacob and Sophia can be renamed) and if they have leveled what you want to skill them up with.

Let’s see if we can save humanity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Eyyyyy ground floor - I’ll have a character please Grey!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lenoon posted:

Eyyyyy ground floor - I’ll have a character please Grey!

Which one?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Could I have a heavy gunner who wears as little armour as possible. Barechested if possible, otherwise the lightest stuff you can get.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Those equipment damage notifications look worrying and fiddly, I guess it fits with the survival theme but I could live with it being abstracted away.

Shove my name at a spare body, full face helmet and all.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Please add me to the list of hopeful recruits (who totally won't be eviscerated by a crab man)

I have no preference on classes or equipment, just go with what you need.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'll be anyone, just so long as it's Samuel O'Varr or something equally silly.

I heard a lot about this game in the run-up, but then... Not a lot of good stuff. I'll be interested in following this LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to enlist as someone who makes things explode - grenadier, rocket launcher, anything of the sort.

Anyhow, what little I've heard of this game was not very flattering, so I'm really curious to see what you make of it.

e: Alternatively, if there's too many people wanting to do that - a sneaky bastard stealthy unit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 13, 2022

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Well, might as well throw my hat to the pile of enlisted cannon fodder. I've heard many a thing about this game so it's gonna be interesting to see how it goes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Oh yeah xcum 3.

Please put me in wherever you need one. Preferably with someone who handles heavy weapons or explosives.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I'll be a sniper deadshot shooty man badass please thank you.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Once more unto the breach... can I enlist as a sniper, or if you already have enough of those, a scout with a marksman rifle sort of person?

I'm terrible at xcom and xcom-likes, but this game and the otherone with the conspiracy-theory theme (I forget the name) both looked pretty intriguing.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Anyone!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Offering to enlist as whatever's needed.

I thought this was an interesting game with a ton of potential that it never quite lived up to. The huge online fascist fanbase for this game did not help.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 13, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cythereal posted:

I thought this was an interesting game with a ton of potential that it never quite lived up to. The huge online fascist fanbase for this game did not help.

I, uh... Did not hear about that. Can you expand?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samovar posted:

I, uh... Did not hear about that. Can you expand?

The New Jericho faction mentioned in the tutorial is basically 'Elon Musk founded and funds the Imperium of Man going CLEANSE PURGE KILL THE UNCLEAN.' They have a very outspoken bunch of fans online.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Put me in as whatever, I don't have a preference.

Also can you rename the base? If you can and want to put it up to a vote I think Neo New Carthage would be nice.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I will observe this from the shadows, as is appropriate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hey! A game I'm actually playing right now for the first time. I want to be a sniper.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The New Jericho faction mentioned in the tutorial is basically 'Elon Musk founded and funds the Imperium of Man going CLEANSE PURGE KILL THE UNCLEAN.' They have a very outspoken bunch of fans online.

New Jericho is interesting because Tobias West's hypocrisy is written in such a way that your attention is drawn to it - specifically, Tobias West genuinely loathes war criminals and bigots and yet... he does a fuckton of pretty shady military stuff and there's a couple of places where it's implied that his hatred of the Disciples and of Synedrion's non-reclamationist factions comes from being a germophobe.

It's weirdly appropriate that West's online fanclub would be people he would absolutely loathe.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Ground floor. Volunteering to be an all-around’er and leader of a team. Yes, Leonardo was my favorite ninja turtle, why do you ask?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We go out on a scavanging mission! we also finish the tutorial, and have access to all options - here are the research options we have.

We can also start builing up the base - I go over most of the options in the videos, but here are what I consider to be the best options.

So, I need votes on the two above - Lenoon and SIGSEGV - I need your skill choices. Also the video for the customisation should be viewable now. I hit the wrong setting.

The next update should be a bit longer, this is mainly settling in.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Turns out having both your arms broken is good experience. I'll take Far Sighted, in those games better recce is always very important. Actually perhaps Return Fire, I presume the sniper class will end up doing most of the recon lifting, and it'd be mean to saddle you with a useless jack of all trades.

Also you can't fool me, that croctopus is gearing MI kit, and I don't see any bugs around.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 14, 2022

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

Also you can't fool me, that croctopus is gearing MI kit, and I don't see any bugs around.

Art assets take time to make! I want to reuse them occasionally!

(I'm actually happy I've made something recognizable!)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's a good MI kit, and the new starship troopers game is good and gets the film's satire, which is something that apparently isn't entirely a given, for some reason.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I actually hit something. I wasn't expecting that.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Put me in Grey

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
If we ever get a Berserker, I'd like to be that madman.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Oh I backed this and played it when it first released from that. Had a good enough time with it but didn’t fall in love with it like XCOM2. Keep meaning to go back to it to see what changed.

Throw me in as whatever if you end up needing more recruits!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll take a gunmans too, either a basic assault or one of the advanced faction classes when you get one

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Voting for building a Training Facility since better dudes (slightly) faster sounds like a good deal early game, and let's have a Mindfragger Autopsy to see how best to serve them for dinner - that's what the extra supplies represents, clearly.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
If this game has any way to shoulder check an enemy off a cliff I'd like a character that gets as close to that as possible. A hand to hand fistyman. Otherwise explosions.

Also Training sounds good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I recommend going for Mist Sentinel Autopsy, I hate those things and the bonus damage is nice, and build a Research Lab.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Lovecraft in XCOM? :v:

If you still need more soldier guys, make me one? I'm not sure what kinda character I'd want to be, so whatever floats your boat?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I will take far sighted because I do want to be a useless jack of all trades

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Ooh, if there's still room for more named dead-guy goons, I'll take a heavy.

And I second getting that damage bonus on Mist Sentinels ASAP, because they are an immense pain.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Any room for a psionic named TheGreatEvilKing?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Sign me up to be a soldier, please! No class preference.

disposablewords posted:

Voting for building a Training Facility since better dudes (slightly) faster sounds like a good deal early game, and let's have a Mindfragger Autopsy to see how best to serve them for dinner - that's what the extra supplies represents, clearly.

Echoing these votes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'll take an Infiltrator, when we eventually get one.

We should get an additional research lab since training facilities should be in a dedicated site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up, just want to go for maximum speed build on whoever I get.

And Training facility and Mist Spreader autopsy seem like good picks
Oh, and general "gently caress the neofacists" whenever a choice presents itself.