Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Having a ton of trouble with the NJ armor. I think it's time to research Poison Weapons as a way to deal with that.

If we have a Gauss sniper rifle, i would prefer that to a laser or phoenix sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Time to run a couple of salvage missions!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A haven defence and a Special mission today. Things seem to be moving a bit more smoothly now I have supplies!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The auto targeting on the shoot command aiming for the spindliest bit of the giant meatballs probably gets infinitely infuriating over time. Although they don't meaningfully take cover so it's not as galling as waiting for the right point in an animation to try to manually target and freeze them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Another pandoran nest is taken down, which unlocks some nice diplomatic missions!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
If we still have room for new troops, put me in as a CQB assault guy! (I’m catching up on the LP, but I’m assuming you’ve researched and/or reverse engineered shotguns by now.)

Also, “gently caress the neofascists” is the best option always.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We take some losses, so I need to think what types of troops I need to hire up as replacements - what do you guys think?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I get the feeling that our weapons and armor haven't really improved that much since the beginning of the game, is that normal?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I get the feeling that our weapons and armor haven't really improved that much since the beginning of the game, is that normal?

Yeah, weapons and armour don't scale up like xcom.

I need to push up strength more to get more HP

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oof. That could've gone better. Ah well.

Been very behind on the LP and only just catching up in the last few days. Didn't even know I'd been conscripted, but I approve of having my explosive spider babies and also apparently being one of the gooniest-looking suckers on the team (if I saw that portrait clearly).

How is the post-Year One DLC (like Festering Skies) turning out, anyway? The general reaction seems to be a mixed bag but I also don't totally trust Steam reviews for much other than warning me if a game is bugged out and broken, so eh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SIGSEGV posted:

Most weapons are sidegrades or emphasize some particular thing. Gauss does good general damage and shred, and then upgraded gauss does huge penetration but loses the shred; meanwhile laser is more accurate over longer ranges but doesn't shred or hit as hard as gauss; then you get guns that may not do damage outright but have long lasting status effects that can cripple bigger foes.

Playing it myself I found that getting trainings in multiple weapon types so you can field multiple kinds of guns to be pretty good value because not every gun is good in every situation (but if you can only bring or make one gun, sniper rifles do some serious loving work.)

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 29, 2022

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A psionic mutoid named TGEK Jr.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Most weapons are sidegrades or emphasize some particular thing. Gauss does good general damage and shred, and then upgraded gauss does huge penetration but loses the shred; meanwhile laser is more accurate over longer ranges but doesn't shred or hit as hard as gauss; then you get guns that may not do damage outright but have long lasting status effects that can cripple bigger foes.

Playing it myself I found that getting trainings in multiple weapon types so you can field multiple kinds of guns to be pretty good value because not every gun is good in every situation (but if you can only bring or make one gun, sniper rifles do some serious loving work.)

The main thing is that eventually you get some extremely stupid supersoldiers because of skill synergies - there's an infamous Berserker/Assault + Heavy Weapons proficiency skill build which basically combines Rapid Clearance + Adrenaline Rush to clear half the map on its own.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Woops! I forgot to post the last video in here!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
On the subject of multi-classing:. Is it actually a good idea? It seems like a mixed bag, some classes have good synergy but for others it seems like an expenditure of experience for nothing but the chance to spend more on one or two abilities.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So far it really looks like an option that's good only once specific combos are available, so the early ones are underwhelming while the berzerker / assault combo does seem Pretty Good at its job.

Also, independently, I think I really like the armor shred weapons, just a generically good problem solving tool when armor values get a bit high.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Multi-classing is really good, with the base 3 classes mixing having some good mixes. Sticking jetpacks onto Snipers with Sniper/Heavy is great for accessing vantage points, or doing the weird Jet-Pack + Shotgun to the face if the unit has Close Quarters Combat, and Assault/Heavy is no joke the best melee build in the game, especially if the character has Close Quarters Combat. Assault/Sniper.... is probably pretty iffy just because you don't really have the WP to support their two basic abilities.

The Assault/Heavy is also notorious for ALSO being able to map-clear on its own in a similar fashion to the Assault/Berserker, only using melee weapons rather than heavy weapons.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 5, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Latest video's up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwngFSpDPNk

I'm helping!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Latest video's up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwngFSpDPNk

I'm helping!

Thanks, I'm a bit manic at the moment jabbing my brothers diabetic cat twice a day (and him not leaving enough needles to do so), so I'm in a rush at LP time!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Time to save another haven!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
No damage taken! Nice work!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have to rerun the mission.
It goes.... differently.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
sorry to report that after the 7 minute mark or so, after the loading screen, the video and audio just completely cut out, all that remains is a black screen for the remainder of the video

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

mortons stork posted:

sorry to report that after the 7 minute mark or so, after the loading screen, the video and audio just completely cut out, all that remains is a black screen for the remainder of the video

Bolloks. I thought the upload was taking a long time, apparently it was breaking.
I'll reupload tonight.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fixed!
I hope!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MVP is that arthron with the grenade team kill on the car sized alien.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I got overexcited yesterday, so you get the Lair mission today!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I fail to record most of a mission here, and have to bail on the second one, but I get a lot of goods, and I think I can finally start moving more now!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Time to defend another haven.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Slaan posted:

Having a ton of trouble with the NJ armor. I think it's time to research Poison Weapons as a way to deal with that.

If we have a Gauss sniper rifle, i would prefer that to a laser or phoenix sniper rifle.

how dare you post in a thread about murdering the hungry abominations from the ocean

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Where do you think they are getting all the new guns from? Certainly not sourced from underdefended Phoenix Project supply dumps that just happen to be "lost to the mist" :ninja:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No I'm finally into America, I take on a story mission and a pandoran lair!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today I take on a haven defence mission, then finally one of the special missions!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Just a salvage mission today, but things are getting tougher!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 28, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

HHTTPS? I am happy to see you so defiantly innovate web protocols.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Today we see a rather nasty Lair raid.....

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Having hosed around a bit, I heartily recommend that you invest in archeology to see if you can dig up some better weapons.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This does not go well at all!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My career as a Phoenix Project soldier was short, but it was glorious... Wait, it wasn't? Uh, did I at least live up to my username and focus on shooting things? :v:

Serious question, is there any way out of this spiral? You've survived long enough that in XCOM terms you should be at least on the verge of turning the tables, but since this game only seems to do sidegrades for gear, I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Serious question, is there any way out of this spiral? You've survived long enough that in XCOM terms you should be at least on the verge of turning the tables, but since this game only seems to do sidegrades for gear, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure there is, I just lost a third of my soldiers, and once again I can't reach the missions to advance the story. The Behamoth is active around my base.

Whats hurting me the most is the inability to trade away that absolute mountain of food I'm sitting on for materials. I could have another base or two online with that, but I feel like I'm scrimping and saving for everything.