Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's a third tier of weapons that consume their own resources via archeology, apparently good play on the strategic map means you can skip second tier weapons entirely, air combat seems like a questionable addition to the game IMO and I don't have a piece of standard advice ready-made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SIGSEGV posted:

There's a third tier of weapons that consume their own resources via archeology, apparently good play on the strategic map means you can skip second tier weapons entirely, air combat seems like a questionable addition to the game IMO and I don't have a piece of standard advice ready-made.

The only real solution to air combat is "you need twice the amount of aircraft and they need to be packed full of NJ guns" and they made aircraft harder to get without pissing off the factions.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I get why this is a thing, for various reasons, but drat I wish it wasn't so hard to absorb losses in so many of these New-COM style games. Fewer soldiers overall with more abilities each does make for more interesting gameplay, but a "war" where you're unable to bear much more than a token set of casualties is always going to be weird and annoying for me.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

IMO the game gets its scale entirely wrong, the new XCOMs don't give a drat about their scale or settings, they are primarily about getting their abstracted board game working and getting you to have assaults run and gun at big things with big shotguns, but this game cares too much about its setting for that and with the population numbers, totality of the warfare, and obvious technology level it feels like it should be wargame / warno style gameplay, with air assaults on the attack and militias and all sorts of vehicles on the defense. I don't know where soldier abilities would go there but it's not like hero units never happened, I guess.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 5, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I feel the problem here is the behemoth. It’s the DLC that probably makes the game worse. Not only does the introductory mission have ‘gotcha’ reinforcements that are basically designed to kill stragglers unless you get lucky or you know about it ahead of time, the air combat game is unfortunately really crappy. There’s no real nuance to it. The behemoth just unavoidably kills at least a couple of havens each time it comes out since you have to wait while it spits out smaller things to kill. There’s no way to actually protect a haven that’s being targeted by the behemoth. And you’re essentially forced to steal ships from a faction because you need some dedicated combat ships and ships are expensive to build.

Overall the festering skies DLC is one that tries to add aerial combat because it should logically exist in the world, but the implementation is complete crap. The behemoth is unfairly punishing, the mini game sucks, it doesn’t even make the slower ships any better because your weapons will get blasted far before your ship’s HP matters if it comes to it, and it largely adds only early game difficulty because that’s when you’re the most resource starved. I wish games that try to add more difficulty stopped loving up and front loading it all on the early game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I honestly don't even agree that air combat should logically be part of this conflict. The Pandorans come out of the sea, unlike XCOM where the threat is actual spacefaring aliens who cruise around the sky. If anything naval combat would make more sense.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's actually a fair point I didn't consider, I guess I mixed up Phoenix Point's and X-Com's stories.

That probably reveals I didn't really pay much attention to Phoenix Point's story even though I played it so much. Whoops.

I stand by all my other points about Festering Skies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I beat the Festering Skies dlc with save scumming, something Grey isn't doing any of, and all I got out of it were some skill points and the behemoth went away. Your reward for beating the DLC is turning the dlc off.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, I beat the Festering Skies dlc with save scumming, something Grey isn't doing any of, and all I got out of it were some skill points and the behemoth went away. Your reward for beating the DLC is turning the dlc off.

poo poo, really? My current file for Phoenix Point is kind of on hiatus because I was finding things tedious, so I haven't actually finished a game with Festering Skies on. I'm not turning it on ever again if that's literally all there is to it.

In terms of the question if recovery is possible... I don't think so. Grey Hunter is basically getting shafted by all the DLC being on, and all of the DLC frontloading its difficulty spikes, so there's little real direction he can go as a somewhat blind player to try to get less horrible missions. The Pure is another example of this, where they did the boneheaded thing of having the heavy armor be the first set of bionic upgrades. So whenever it's a Pure combat mission, all the assault rifles, shotguns, and HMGs become useless. It becomes a heavily melee/paralyze melee/sniper rifle fight, which is rather specific to set up for unless you know to prepare for it ahead of time. Or you need Berserkers with their armor shred ability, which requires a one-two punch for any individual unit when the entire enemy team is armored like that.

Corruption has a similar effect, where the effect's largely penalize your Willpower unless you research the ability to spend Mutagen to fix it. Which... hits hardest in the early game when your stats are at their lowest.

The base Phoenix Point is a good game, but it has the unfortunate factor where the DLC follow-up can ruin the experience. If anyone is interested in playing it themselves, I do think the core experience is very good, but turn off half the DLC. Kaos Engines, Legacy of the Ancients, and Living Weapons Pack are the only ones I'd recommend being on if you want to have some extra stuff, and that's because all of that content is opt-in. It's not adding extra pressure in the early game to a player that is still learning what they're doing. We haven't even seen a proper Legacy of the Ancients map yet (though I think it'd probably wipe Grey Hunter in his current state).

Corrupted Horizons and Blood and Titanium can potentially add options to the combat that you like using, but they're too much of a frontal loaded slap to the face. Turn them on in a second playthrough if you like the game enough, otherwise nope.

As marshmallow creep has said, Festering Skies gives you nothing of worth. Never turn it on.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I'm not feeling this is salvageable - I'll probably do another video as a wrap up and move on to something else.

I've got Terra Invicta sitting on my hard drive, or Shadow Empires.
Anything you guys would like to see me cover?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terra Invicta has sounded interesting recently.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Terra Invicta seems absolutely hilarious but I heartily recommend some light reading of just about every guide, or at least early game guide, so we can actually get to the part of the game that has fights in it.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
drat.

I'm on vid 25, and here I was, about to make a post about getting on the roster..

Terra Invicta does seem interesting

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ah well. Sucks that you got caught in a death spiral, and really sucks that it seems like it's so easy to do so - or so impossible to pull out, but I've already griped on that.

It was interesting to see as a comparison to UFO: Aftermath, a game apparently based off of some of Gollop's aborted work on post-X-Com: Apocalypse titles. Glad Gollop got to finally handle a lot of those ideas himself. Even with poo poo going south, this was neat.

Also going to echo the interest in Terra Invicta.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

And here we go with a wrap up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014240