Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
thats how the river crossings and assorted stuff in EU4 work. Its good for a game where combat is essentially about stacking modifiers but that wouldn't work for a game like total war where the actual meat of the game is the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Endman posted:

I honestly think CA's biggest problem is that their fans chuck a loving mad tantrum if they're not allowed to play even the most minor of factions, whereas if they just focused on making a game about running the Roman Empire or whatever, then they'd probably do a much better job. Everything else could be balanced around that central experience of running Rome.

Someone post that Pontus meme. You know the one.

CA has an absolutely awful fanbase. Worse than Paradox. Which is really saying something.

I do think CA has hosed up by always focusing on the combat as the main meat of the game and having the whole campaign mechanics basically function as a battle generator.
Firstly, it hardly ever generates battles anywhere near as interesting as the battles they actually designed, like they used to do with historical battles in Medieval 1 and Rome 1. I mean, the whole incentive is for players to optimize the fun out of it because why get yourself into a battle you might lose? The AI at least since Rome isn't good enough to ever really force you into one. And on top of that the time it takes to get through a tech tree juxtaposed with these games always being snowballs that reward going hard at the start means 90% of battles involve only units available at the start or near start, so there's not even much variety.

Secondly, a lot of players based on what I've read really enjoy the empire building part a lot actually. But CA has never seen investing in making that part of the game a real fun gameplay experience a priority. If these systems were deeper, while conversely the army management was actually a bit less accessible (ie. your available armies and their composition depend directly on the state of your provinces and internal politics, maybe even do away with standing armies and have them be raised for a campaigning season from a province or group of provinces or whatever) it might solve the issue of the AI not understanding how to build a balanced army at the same time as preventing players from breaking the game by going all in on the best units while ignoring all the other ones, and that combination might make the battles a lot more interesting. I dunno I'm spitballing here.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Apr 11, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
CA's fanbase is worse because unlike paradox where you are clicking buttons, in Total war games you get to kill people viscerally.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Probably for the best that you can't make a Total Hearts of Iron

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Its still there even though the procgen maps are gone now.

You don't get the cool bridge maps anymore, there's always at least 3 lanes to attack

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
in warhammer they have fancy natural bridges and its nice to do things like using magic as artillery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
watching someone play Hearts of Iron 4 Black Ice and lmao:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

watching someone play Hearts of Iron 4 Black Ice and lmao:

lol were they just doing a bit ?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

lol were they just doing a bit ?

afaik it's genuine/sincere: Black Ice makes it so that all that equipment in column A is necessary for something as "simple" as an infantry division (and motorized and armored divisions need even more stuff), under the premise that it creates more gradations between different nations to have your troops fighting with worse machine guns and worse (or fewer) uniforms rather than just "I have 1936-grade equipment and he has 1936-grade equipment"

the thing is, since you need to produce all of these little bits and bobs separately, if you want to approach the problem "rationally" by computing exactly how many factories should be producing what, so that you end up with an entire division's worth of kit by the time it takes to train those men, then you have to work it out like that

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tekopo posted:

it’s not even a minimisation, the end of the movie fully exonerates the colonel because apparently there were armed people in the crowd, and the evil prosecutors are punished, so the film expects you to look at the clip above where kids are blown away by concentrated fire and think “that is entirely justified”

the fact that this film was made before even 9/11 is wild

it's not wild at all

I think people forget how much of that generation's view on RoE was still shaped by the Vietnam War: where the prevailing myth coming from the right is "we didn't let our troops win"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

I will have to disagree on that. There was something about planting troops on a bridge knowing you could take a fight there and it would actually appear on the map and you could use it.

Yeah IIRC that was the only way I could beat the Mongols as the Rus; just planted my troops on one of the river provinces so the battles would always be over a chokepoint. Choked the rivers with thousands of dead but the blue blob was saved.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

afaik it's genuine/sincere: Black Ice makes it so that all that equipment in column A is necessary for something as "simple" as an infantry division (and motorized and armored divisions need even more stuff), under the premise that it creates more gradations between different nations to have your troops fighting with worse machine guns and worse (or fewer) uniforms rather than just "I have 1936-grade equipment and he has 1936-grade equipment"

the thing is, since you need to produce all of these little bits and bobs separately, if you want to approach the problem "rationally" by computing exactly how many factories should be producing what, so that you end up with an entire division's worth of kit by the time it takes to train those men, then you have to work it out like that

The last time I tried to play they had separated horses (cavalry), horses (wagons), horses (field artillery), and horses (horse artillery), and the same amount of rivet counting gradation for uniforms, let alone motor transport.

It's fine in WitE, but to have that in a Paradox game really combines the worst of both worlds.

Typo posted:

it's not wild at all

I think people forget how much of that generation's view on RoE was still shaped by the Vietnam War: where the prevailing myth coming from the right is "we didn't let our troops win"

Literally, in that movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC71Vlua-gU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrnyyTEy3kg

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

It was unwielder as the timeframe dragged on
This applies to EUIV, and honestly every other Paradox game probably.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my fav victoria 2 strat was to drag out an occupation so that the enemy's factories start to go bankrupt and close

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Hadn't seen this movie so looked it up on wiki and lol:

Even made up atrocities have to be minimised. It's all right there in the clip!

Don't worry at the end of the movie its revealed to be self defense because all the women and children killed in the crowd actually had AKs

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Main Effort: 8:20AM

[...]

Divisional Recon has taken casualties just past Buckendorf. They've also identified and engaged a number of Abrams, and the player appears to be set on fighting instead of retreating. :negative:

As another staff member put it:

Fresh turn today, let's open up the .pdf report

:negative:

I think what happened is that a good player had to drop out, and the last minute replacement does not seem to understand he commands a recon battalion, not a Guards Tank Regiment.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

makes me think of and appreciate the Soviet command doctrine that has been posted about

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
they've just transformed into ablative recon

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Megamissen posted:

makes me think of and appreciate the Soviet command doctrine that has been posted about

Seriously, yeah

:stare:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

but if he stopped the attack then the people who died would have died for nothing

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think what happened is that a good player had to drop out, and the last minute replacement does not seem to understand he commands a recon battalion, not a Guards Tank Regiment.

Put a bullet in his skull and let whoever is 2nd in command take over asap.

Might not be written in the doctrine manual, but it's implied.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
charge of the light recon brigade.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Recon Commander: Give me your toughest battles.
Zeppelin Insanity: But you're a recon battalion.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Apr 12, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Time to bust out the 'ol starve failure.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

beat him over the head with a "recon for dummies" manual until he becomes a competent comander

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

give us the lowdown comrade staff man

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Thank you all, those were all hilarious. Now for the actual writeup.

Main Effort: 09:20

I haven't filled in the staff recommendations section yet, since I want to consult with the other staff c-spam staff.

We're still in a tremendous traffic jam. The problem with Flashpoint Campaigns, quite visible in the raw data .pdf generated by the game, is that unless you are very specific with your orders and waypoint delays, all units try to move on at the same time. They encounter an overfilled hex, and get delayed for a few minutes. This, in turn, stops everyone else from moving. And if units try to move past each other, rather than dispersing in the easiest direction, it becomes a major problem.

That's the issue facing Divisional assets right now, though both Tatiana and Maria have not attempted to move most of their regiment. Perhaps they took the idea of an advance guard a bit too literally, and only sent out their guard, rather than sending the rest after a delay. I suppose we'll see. They definitely need to get a move on, because two other regiments are due to arrive in 5 minutes, and then it's going to be a total clusterfuck.

Let's return to Div Recon Ablative Recon, callsign ALEXEI.

It has committed all of its companies to the brawl in the forest. This is not what Recon should be doing, but as I am merely a staff officer and CRTA, it wouldn't be right for me to try to micromanage by giving orders to regimental commanders, much as I would like to.

We have more losses. Alexei has been absolutely mauled, and is nearly completely attrited. We also have no claimed kills. However, the fighting appears to have stopped at 8:30, and one of the companies executed a big of a zigzag movement pattern that likely would have stumbled on some enemies if they had been there. This leads me to believe that the Abrams withdrew, probably because three batteries of 152mm dropped HE and cluster rounds on their heads.

Let's look for good news. What's up with 45th GTR, callsign MARIA?

They have successfully pushed along their axis of advance. Their recce and first battalion have identified and engaged some enemy scouts. A smoke barrage was requested and carried out at some point, also.

Here we run into another problem with Flashpoint Campaigns. Artillery ammo is NATO-brain limited. The command cycle is very long, and unit movement very janky and unpredictable, making pre-planned fires challenging. The game's answer to this is the FSCC setting - Fire Support Control Center. It allows units on the ground to generate fire missions, which batteries (that have FSCC turned on) respond to automatically. That's nice, but you cannot set any limits on this - it's either on or off. So these cavalry scouts, already being engaged by BRDM-2s and a whole company of T-80BVs, also get 40 122mm cluster munitions (which I expect to be nearly all the clusters 45th GTR has) and 60 HE mortar rounds dropped on them. On two M113s!

We don't have a claimed kill, but surely this level of overkill has got to have an effect.

The good news is that Maria has not taken any casualties. Great! Their 1st battalion is also exactly on schedule according to the plan. Excellent! They haven't moved the rest of their regiment and are hogging the entry to the area of operations. Boo!

211th Guards Tank Regiment, callsign TATIANA.

Their recon arrived at Konigsfeld, and paused. They have not spotted any enemies. Then, 1st battalion arrived and lost 3 T-80s. Boo! Though that's not the end of the world. They are also exactly on schedule. Yay! The rest of the regiment also hasn't moved. Boo!

I wonder if the exact same thing happening with both regiments - both moved their recon and their 1st battalion, but nothing else - is a coincidence, or evidence of another issue with the engine.

What else can we do?

Our helicopters have arrived:
MUKHA are a squadron of unarmed Mi-2 recon helicopters.
SOBOL are a squadron of Mi-24 gunships.

The original plan envisioned Mukha scouting ahead of Maria, since that's where some of the most open terrain is. Sobol was supposed to pick off targets spotted by Alexei, but, well, we've seen how's gone.

I pose these questions to the wise staff of C-SPAM:

As I see it:
Alexei could hold and wait for relief by the next regiment. If they get attacked again, they might generate a fire mission for my artillery. They could withdraw east, the safest option, and get themselves reorganized and wait while we see how the battle develops. Or they could withdraw south, link up with Tatiana, then attempt to continue along their planned route.
Maria should likely simply continue.
Tatiana is in combat, but hasn't seen the enemy. Since the recon was not fired upon first, it seems an educated guess that the enemy likely did not have a good line of fire to them, which would imply they are north or north-west. I was thinking of firing off a smoke barrage to obscure them from the Hohenhausling direction. This would only require smoking two hexes, and protect them from potential long-range fire, letting them focus on any nearby enemies.
Mukha could stick with the plan, or do something else. I was thinking of having them flyover Stadelhofen -> Grossziegenfeld -> Bojendorf, then east. Then what? Perhaps they should simply follow closely behind Maria's forward element, and hope to spot better?
Sobol could hang out near Alexei, but that's a waste if no enemy contacts appear. They could help Tatiana, or help Maria. Or perhaps both helicopters should join up, and act as a recon\combat group together?

I can only advise, so I cannot guarantee that any of these things happen (as we've seen :negative:), but I might as well pass my C-SPAM's suggestions along the chain of command.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the last minute replacement does not seem to understand he commands a recon battalion, not a Guards Tank Regiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6WIbR1eQw

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This makes me curious. FF what do you do when you are deployed in the field and you find out someone with an important job is a complete loving failure?

I mean from the perspective of a grunt vs an officer you gotta grin and bear it while looking for a nice fragging location, I get that, but like, what if you're the CO of this operation and your head of recon is doing what we're dealing with here in real life?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

This makes me curious. FF what do you do when you are deployed in the field and you find out someone with an important job is a complete loving failure?

I mean from the perspective of a grunt vs an officer you gotta grin and bear it while looking for a nice fragging location, I get that, but like, what if you're the CO of this operation and your head of recon is doing what we're dealing with here in real life?

Maybe you just frag them with 155mm\152mm HE?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Well, a "galloper" from staff would drive down there in G-Wagon to figure out what the gently caress is going on, and if he explained he was charging BRDMs against Abrams in the woods for some reason (???), relieve him of command on the spot. He'd probably be fired formally once there was time to write up the order and make the transition to the 2IC official.

During Normandy, Monty sent his staff to unfuck 7th AD, and they fired George Erskine, then XXX Corps commander Gerard Bucknall, as well as many of their subordinates, putting Gerald Verney in charge.

If it was an absolute crisis, .455, but you probably couldn't do that now. It happened in 1914 during the retreat from Mons, and iirc during the retreat to Dunkirk in 1940.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Well, a "galloper" from staff would drive down there in G-Wagon to figure out what the gently caress is going on, and if he explained he was charging BRDMs against Abrams in the woods for some reason (???), relieve him of command on the spot. He'd probably be fired formally once there was time to write up the order and make the transition to the 2IC official.

During Normandy, Monty sent his staff to unfuck 7th AD, and they fired George Erskine, then XXX Corps commander Gerard Bucknall, as well as many of their subordinates, putting Gerald Verney in charge.

If it was an absolute crisis, .455, but you probably couldn't do that now. It happened in 1914 during the retreat from Mons, and iirc during the retreat to Dunkirk in 1940.

John French was an absolute gently caress up in 1914 and nothing happened to him?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

sullat posted:

John French was an absolute gently caress up in 1914 and nothing happened to him?

French famously was under the protection of powerful friends and patrons throughout his whole career and repeated fuckups, stretching back to the start of his career.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i cannot for the life of me remember the title but i read a book on the us military from a management perspective that argued the entire reason it's a trash clusterfuck now compared to ww2 is that officers were demoted and removed from command constantly then and now that never happens no matter how loving stupid an officer is

was very reductive and obviously missing another million problems with the us military (and also idolizing a ww2 military that also sucked compared to other belligerent armies) but definitely not wrong

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

atelier morgan posted:

i cannot for the life of me remember the title but i read a book on the us military from a management perspective that argued the entire reason it's a trash clusterfuck now compared to ww2 is that officers were demoted and removed from command constantly then and now that never happens no matter how loving stupid an officer is

was very reductive and obviously missing another million problems with the us military (and also idolizing a ww2 military that also sucked compared to other belligerent armies) but definitely not wrong

Was it this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWxxZ2JGE

His book is "The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today" and seems to be about the same subject.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

Was it this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWxxZ2JGE

His book is "The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today" and seems to be about the same subject.

yeah that was the book

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah it's pretty much impossible for someone to get fired, barring the CDS' who have gone down for #MeToo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Orange Devil posted:

Put a bullet in his skull and let whoever is 2nd in command take over asap.

Might not be written in the doctrine manual, but it's implied.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I was looking at Victoria 3 mods and found this in a performance optimization mod.

quote:

1. Removed the constant checking of flag definitions for default countries:
Come on, while we all agree that dynamic country flags are brilliant, their performance cost is ridiculous. In essence, the game is looking at every country in every tick to see if they qualify for a different flag at that moment. This is the script item that contributed the most to early game lag and it continues to play a role throughout the game. Even though disabling this means that some countries might have funky flags (most notably colonial administrations), I would rather my game run smoother than having dynamic flags per se. I might change it to a more sophisticated method if there's a way to only refresh the flag when needed (but it seems like the engine doesn't permit that)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3213294110

It seems like Vicky 3 is looking at every country's flag every single tick (multiple times per in-game day) and check if it should be changed. The proper way to do it is to have an add commands to immediately update the flag after certain events (revolutions, elections, declaring independence, etc) and then have a maintenance event that runs every year or so and checks every country just in case you forget to add the flag update command somewhere.

Paradox needs to hire either more devs or more competent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drat that's almost as bad as the ck2 bug where every greek noble was evaluating everyone in their court to consider whether to castrate them or not every month