Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

they released the game without those things? pretty dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

I know that's not what you want, but you can definitely do that with a video game.

You just replace the idea of "orders" with "player input", heck make the interface annoying enough and you can have people fat fingering their way into all sorts of mistakes. Or just make them use a really bad mouse instead of a good one.

There was a video game like this for the c64. You were playing as the high command of an insurgency but the only control system allowed was pong paddles. This was done intentionally by the designer.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

skooma512 posted:

:yeah: Afghanistan '11 was fun enough, but rings hollow since the main objective of a campaign is turning everything over to the ANA, whose reputation was overrun by events, to say nothing of the Taliban.

UN AID DELIVERED

Well, turning everything over to the ANA did end the war in Afghanistan

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

I only played coh multiplayer with friends and it's the one game besides league of legends that made everyone want to punch walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1VV1p4NIVY

It is still just as relevant today

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

But seriously, I also got stuck with the most useless, reactionary, governor generals possible. Like three different ones in a row being insane fundies getting real mad about not enforcing anglican church on everyone as the one true faith.

Also complete refusal to change anything, because they were always landlords. I don't know if the game is scripted to just always force landlords on you, or what. Since it's not hereditary, and there's no successor shown I assume it randomly generates a character.

sounds pretty historical!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah this was a funny bug where if a building had just an owner but no workers they would take 100% of the buildings budget and hire no one else

this is historical

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Most of the content is a free patch which means the paid expansion is basically like two marginal mechanics and a bunch of flavor events for one country. Whether this is an improvement is left ad an exercise to the reader

love that eu4 model!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Could have probably called this "Obama's Legacy" lol.

good lord they could

no victory. just how good your administration will be seen by your neoliberal successors

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

Nah it's great there are some missions that are more stressful then others (dragon attack comes to mind) but it's pretty fun and the voice actors are great. More gold, your majesty!

Tax collector

I serve with pleasure

Praise Daurus!

Ooh, tough fight

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ooh! Pretty star!

You won't get my gold!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jazerus posted:

(said really weirdly) refreshing

Lighter! Brighter!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I played some Jagged Alliance. Man. If I was a video essayist I would absolutely make one using this game as an example.

The game is fun. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10 if that was the only factor.

Smaller quibbles are that the interface is a bit clunky, it's a bit crashy, and the mercenaries are very annoying. Remember how they were stereotypes in Jagged Alliance? Now imagine if those concepts were written by a 12 year old brought up on Marvel movies. They talk constantly and are never funny.

But the big thing. Oooh boy.

Remember how in JA2 you were hired by the deposed leader of a nation, and were fighting that nation's army?

Yeah. Here your client is ostensibly the daughter of a kidnapped president, but that's not actually true. She is not the one paying you. You are in fact hired by a mining company to reclaim their diamond mines. A mining company ran by someone who seems Spanish at first glance.

Not black. The country is very black. A former French colony. Every single enemy is black. Every single one. Whereas in JA2 your enemies were an army, with enemy types such as "recruit", "regular", "veteran" and "elite", here you are facing "goon", "marauder", "brute", "raid leader". Where in JA2 they wore uniforms, here they wear stereotypical "tribal" warpaint, headdresses (which count as armour, somehow), and leopard skins.

You are, of course, almost only white people. There are a few token non-white mercenaries. The only black mercenary I hired so far makes frequent references to crack pipes. The only Chinese mercenary is a doctor, but he does martial arts, wears a Tang jacket, is into spirits, and constantly spouts fortune cookie wisdom.

It's OK though, because the game opens with a "just don't get offended bro" graphic.

I think we should consider not allowing Swedish people to make games anymore.

It's a pain because the game is fun overall. I really wish someone would take the core structure of Jagged Alliance and make it about a people's revolution, rather than capitalist resource extraction. But I guess that would be Political in the way mowing down shirtless Goons and Marauders decked out in face paint isn't.

sounds rather problematic if you ask me

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

In Jagged Alliance 3 there's a dead politician who was gifted a statue from North Korea and he was actually by all accounts a pretty good guy. There's also a bad guy who used to work in North Korea as a military general. Kinda goes to show you that you can't judge someone based solely off their relationship to North Korea.

would you say the truth is in the middle?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

is mike in JA3 or did he have a canonical death in JA2?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

how do i get the communists to give me diamond money do I need to do the pamphlet side quest

you have to sell newspapers? lmao they have communism nailed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Don't torture me like that.

I would play the hell out of a game where you play St. Ambrose of Milan or any other late Imperial bishop or administrator, just trying to keep things going.

ooh yeah this would be good

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mokotow posted:

I always thought having a proper OOB system would be crucial for SR, but I think they’re not doing it because the AI wouldn’t be able to handle it and it’s easy to curbstomp it anyway with a properly organized front.

reminds me of HOI3 where the AI couldn't properly account for more than one nonsupport brigade in a division and so the meta was to make all the divisions with one brigade plus 3 or 4 support brigades.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Fuligin posted:

I think Hearts of Iron would work a lot better if it started in like... 1930 or 33 or something, maybe even earlier in the immediate post-WW1 era, with a faster tick rate and longer tech tree. A lot of the alt-history stuff would feel less ludicrous with more time to breathe. Simplify focus trees so that diplomacy is an actual system players can use to sway and interact with other powers, a la other paradox games, instead of a track determined by their tree. And for god's sake add some mechanics for managing alliances and coalition warfare, it's so loving stupid how factions in HoI IV just end up heaping all their divisions together in a mess on one front unless seriously scripted to do otherwise

anyway thats my HoI V fantasy that won't be realized

I'd like a post ww1 game. Something that was either set right after the brest treaty or after the german surrender and then have the game be about reshaping he postwar world.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

The focus trees were a terrible idea imo

As mentioned, they make the diplomacy system mostly useless, and make the game into a choose-your-own-adventure book rather than any kind of dynamic simulation.

agreed. something that turned me off really hard from HOI4 was experiencing that the focus trees operate in a special netherworld that nonetheless overrides everything else in the game every 45 or 90 days.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'll die before i touch hoi3 again

fav hoi3 meta was to make every infantry division with just one infantry brigade because otherwise the AI would get even more confused

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

meticulously setting up the command layers only for the AI to never advance the HQs leaving them permanently out of radio range of the units

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

HoI3 map on release having Stalingrad massively in the wrong location was very funny. Especially if you combine it with the dev diary going into how they were basically simulating the weather using temperature and humidity per province area or whatever they called them in that game.

Like just excellent use of development time and very emblematic of everything that would be to come for that game.

I think there was a dev diary shortly before release that mentioned as an aside that the AI routines for the countries did not exist yet. As in entirely did not exist and had not been written.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

You'll have to wait 70 days.

or 35

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

Call me David ben Gurion but I do know how to conduct an ethnic cleansing without running afoul of the rules-based international order. Just, you know, musing on the morality of it. I mean I guess I can pretend that all those starving Yang drones are being assimilated into the genejack factories of Morgan Industries, but we all know most of them are ending up as mindworm food.

Speaking of which, is there a link for your mod? There's probably more than a few veteran SMAC players here who'd be willing to toy with it.

iirc in SMAC you could get yourself elected council president then pass the law legalizing chemical weapons. equip the units who storm enemy cities with the now entirely legal and legitimate defensive weaponry and presto, no problems with garrisoning captured cities

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the largest issue I had with any of the total war games is that after the novelty of the first battles wore off, I was much, much more interested in the diplomacy, character, and province management. give me total war without the tactical element.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't that Crusader Kings

yeah but Crusader Kings doesn't have some of the neat late roman empire settings

I'd be much happier with TW if the diplomatic functions were more robust.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Jan 18, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

goddamnit now i need to reinstall coh1 just to hear the voicelines again

"all we had to do was follow the drat train cj" is by far my favorite

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Endman posted:

Studying Late Antiquity turned me into an insane person who sees the decaying of taxation systems in the west and the basic hygienic functions of empire falling down like a blind beggar profit, wildly gesticulating at the historical precedent like a madman

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Yellow and blue counters are the new black

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the only xcom 1 I know is UFO enemy unknown

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

it was very funny that I was able to successfully do Dengism in the 1880s, but the fact that it works and was so easy is not exactly a point in the game's favor, lol, it's so poor at simulating the logic of imperialism that subordinating myself to a European power as a subject was actually a net benefit to me and a cost to them

it's like it treats the 'benevolent civilizing mission' rhetoric of the 19th century as literally true, with wealth flowing outwards from the metropole to enrich the colonies and the colonies giving back little in return

even the United States, who should have viewed me as a natural competitor, gave me very little trouble, and indeed actually indirectly benefited me by acting as a source of immigrants - again, literally the entire black population of the United States had migrated by the end of the game, and I also had small but definitely-present populations of Dixie immigrants

Lincoln's original plan was to deport all the black people (they were not citizens lmao) to Corn Island and Liberia

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Typo posted:

it's poo poo like this which prompted the HOI4 style choose-your-own-adventure focus trees

at least you clearly define what happens in X scenario so weird buggy broken poo poo like this don't happen

well until the focus trees interact with other countries. then the whole system breaks down again

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

also later byzantium gives you starting provinces that are spread out in a very pleasing way

Tankbuster posted:

because it is a hard start and makes it fun to retake land

FirstnameLastname posted:

yeah it's already got the imperial administrative structure + massive amounts of former claims with cool alt province names and can expand in any direction or play tall without it feeling implausible and starts with nothing in eu, ppl always like the clean slate minmax starts

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

That's how colonialism works. Colonial powers do export production methods and infrastructure to the colonies. The wealth is still extracted because the infrastructure does not benefit the living conditions of the locals but resource extraction, the production methods do not allow for the locals to enjoy the full value of the labour but let the metropole extract more value from their labour.

this nuance is not present in Victoria 3

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

1 air magic, 1 water magic, 2 astral magic, and 3 sacred magic?

lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

traveling with the army. . .a honor to be sure

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

my fav victoria 2 strat was to drag out an occupation so that the enemy's factories start to go bankrupt and close

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

makes me think of and appreciate the Soviet command doctrine that has been posted about

but if he stopped the attack then the people who died would have died for nothing

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

the EIC was the first private sector gig you got for sweet sweet cash.

then you could go on half pay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Megamissen posted:

how have they changed it?

its a big contrast compared to fallout 1 and 2

my unpopular opinion is that the best of the original fallouts was fallout 1. much more cohesive and focused. the time limit was a great gimmick too