Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'm on my first game, I'm playing as USA and my drat expeditions to map the northwest keep failing, i've had 5 failed expeditions in a row. The first couple I know were my fault because I picked the make progress/increased peril options, but the next 3 I think I just got unlucky.

On the other hand, seems like my economy is fantastic. it's 1861, 217 construction capacity being used, +67.6K money, 142 weekly innovation, 16.0 average standard of living. maximum taxes, maximum government wages, maximum military spending, 21.1M population, 1.30M radicals, 3.50 loyalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

I need to spend more money and IDK HOW!

edit: also, gently caress the western frontier expedition man, why does it always fail, i don't even get events to effect it anymore

fermun has issued a correction as of 09:18 on Nov 1, 2022

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

All the Vicky games are designed around some weird economic simulation, and fall apart based on that system's merits or failures. The chief limitation of them all is that transportation of goods has to be heavily abstracted for the games to run, you cannot possibly have hundreds of goods attempting to pathfind from province-province, let alone the million+ that's normal in those games.

I have a strong hunch that Victoria 2 was designed around a simulation that they realized mid-way was a failure. There's so much hacked off that game and so many undocumented "fixes" for the systems that I can't see it any other way. The most easily observed aspect of it are the various holes in the game's closed economy, where money disappeared into a void.

It's hard to call it a good game, but it's fun in a way that most eurojank is. Vicky 2 is like if the long 19th century was reflected in a funhouse mirror, what joy to be had has to be found in oohing and ahhing over the warped results it creates. If you actually get sweaty about it, all it is a simple wargame with kooky economics, so it's better to just have fun.

There's some Paradox employee comments in a Paradox megathread here on SA from around when it was released, but Vicky 2's economic system was designed by a Scottish Tory that believed in Ron Paul Austrian Economics as the best system and then he left Paradox just shortly before the game was released to design his own space 4x game, which was never released and after a couple of years he was given a job with Paradox again but never got put in charge of designing anything again. The game required a lot of hodge-podge fixes to make its economic system spit out anything that made any kind of sense and that's why it's so weird, a totally broken ultra-libertarian economics system that didn't actually function well patched over with all kinds of fixes.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I started KSP when the earth was flat and there were like 7 parts, on the recommendation of Games, I think, so I get what you mean. It took a long time to get to where it is.

I suppose I’m asking more why they didn’t wait until they had at least the content of the final build of KSP 1:1, everything except the interstellar stuff I guess. You can’t even do career mode now.
that would have been before their first publicly downloadable version, so probably not then, as the first version available for download did allow for orbit.

but yeah, they had even advertised that ksp2 would release in early access as a modern, optimized feature-complete ksp1

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

double nine posted:

is it in a different engine? not gonna touch it with a 100 yard stick but if it's built on a better engine it might make for more ambitious background simulation (spacecraft drifting when not under direct command for example)

** if it gets anywhere rather than shutdown of course, which lol, lmao

no, it's just a much more modern unity engine.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
looks like Rule the Waves 3 will be pushing the start date back to 1890 and the end date up to 1970
https://www.matrixgames.com/news/rule-the-waves-3-dev-diary-1-what-is-rule-the-waves

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

pfft this scrub hasn't been following RTW 3 on their ancient message board even before they decided to work with Matrix

https://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/RTW2_Expansion_Catalog.pdf

rad! thanks for that, looking at their message board showed me that it's available to wishlist on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008100/Rule_the_Waves_3/

edit: they also said that if you purchase from matrix instead of steam, you get a steam key with your purchase and the guy that makes the game gets a slightly larger amount without the steam fee

fermun has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Apr 25, 2023

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Rule the Waves 3 will be released on May 18th according to Slitherine's monthly news video (at 1:29)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFms3fho150

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Rule the Waves 3 review: It's good.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Anyways I just bought Rule the Waves 3 after wasting a week on Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought and it's kinda crazy how UA: D is basically the same game with worse design choices and a passable 3d engine

Yeah, RtW3 is a blast. In my game it's 1914, I'm playing Russia from an 1890 start, I won an early war against Spain due to an alliance with Great Britain, then won a war against Germany with their help, then a war against France with their help, all from super quick new wars and then Great Britain providing the numbers to blockade. After that alliance expired I won a war against Japan (that knocked out 4 old ironclad battleships in an opening surprise attack), but eventually defeated them, and I've been powerful enough since then to start winning wars against most on my own. I have the 3rd strongest navy and due to a couple tech sharing agreements at the time, I've maintained above average tech level though I am playing at 80% tech rate to reduce need to replace ships so frequently, which I suppose is a massive advantage for a country like Russia with poor education. I've also won 3 invasions in wars and managed to get a few colonies from events.

My goals over the next decade are to get into a war with France, one with Spain, and one with either Italy or Germany

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I've gotten to early '50s in Rule the Waves 3 and things have gotten wild. There are vintage battleships still around getting pummeled post-WWII missile cruisers, surviving by the sheer shittiness of the early missiles, while jets and prop planes somehow coexist. Carriers for prop planes became mature tech for about 6 months before jets were invented, and now every CV is technically obsolete. I'm Austria-Hungary so I have no loving money and I have to go bully France for their colonies just to keep apace of tech. I don't know this part of naval history at all and have no idea what to do. I decided to make a build an actual battleship in 1952 because somebody told me they can be useful as SAM platforms later. Nobody knows what a SAM is so what's on it for now is 15 inch guns and 4 dogshit Surface-to-surface missiles I stole from the Italians

I'm in 1945 as Russia, I have taken a ton of territories because i've won multiple wars with every country but the US and Great Britain. I have the biggest docks in the world and am building my first 2 jet carriers, and I actually have the largest prop plane carrier fleet in the world. I've got colonies EVERYWHERE, because I've got harsher peace deals on and am playing captain's mode so my destroyer/light cruiser torpedo runs absolutely devastate. I know that technically after 1920 or so it's better financially for your budget to not take as many territories as you can because the extra war score goes to war reparations that increase your budget but I love painting the map.

Germany went Nazi, but even when I had them blockaded for years and their unrest forced them to declare peace, they didn't stop being nazis. My constant warring with few losses has given me the 3rd largest fleet after US and Great Britain. I'm allied with the US so I'm hoping to provoke a war with Great Britain before that's over. I think I'm going to be the first to get jet carriers out based on what intel I have, so as soon as the first of those finish working up in about 11 months, I'm going to be trying to get in a war with great britain to test them out.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i believe it was that they all fired at the start of the rebel barrage and as the barrage continued individual cannons would stop firing and not fire again until the assault to make it seem like the barrage was taking out the union artillery pieces

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

my dad posted:

I tried out Ultimate Admirals: Dreadnoughts at some point.

I played the earliest start as Austria-Hungary, made hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of the fastest torpedo boats I could build, and paired them up with cruisers with maxed out operational range and highest caliber guns they could carry. The results were hilarious and unexpected - I won.

This is also great in Rule the Waves 3, your entire destroyer squadron will be destroyed on the charge, but if you get one battleship or even heavy cruiser it's worth it, and also ensures you'll always have the latest destroyer models, as all of your destroyers will be destroyed so quickly you'll never have time for them to become obsolete, you'll just be designing and building new ones

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I just picked up Xenonauts 2, hope to play enough to write a little review before the weekend starts
https://store.steampowered.com/app/538030/Xenonauts_2/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
my initial impression is that its harder than the first xenonauts. money's tight, soldiers die real easy, i think easier, tanks are expensive and die really easy. but a base in the middle east seems to be able to keep the soviet union, the EU, and africa pretty happy. xenonauts is a universe where aliens infiltrate governments starting in the 1980s to keep the cold war going and on the brink of nuclear war and xenonauts 2 is continuing that during a crisis period in 2009. i'm actually considering turning the difficulty down to the easiest difficulty level to re-acquaint myself with this sort of game because i can't really tell right now if it's just super hard or if i just super suck. also you can have initial soldiers that just were a bad roll and they are bad.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i played a game of the new xcom 1 when it was released on the highest difficulty level but i didn't really care about my crew and i renamed all my soldiers after sci fi/fantasy authors and any character i named iain m banks was always killed by panicked friendly fire from a character named benedict jacka. i posted summaries of each deployment on twitter after each play session and that happened 4 or 5 times before benedict jacka the author asked me to not name characters iain m banks anymore and benedict jacka the character never panicked again

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

The Paradox devs desperately trying to make capitalism work even if the games show it doesn't - not the way it's said to anyway - has been a strange turn.

what's funniest about it is that Victoria 2, which makes capitalism incredibly bad compared to communism was designed by a scottish tory that is fully on board with austrian economics and set up the system in the game to function that way, and it was totally unintentional that state intervention through either state capitalism or command economy communism would be more efficient, because the guy made those options but didn't test them because he only played laissez faire.

then victoria 3 they had just a bunch of people with more mainstream economics views build the economics system and it still turned out that communism was best so they decided to boost capitalism to encourage a more historically accurate result where most nations would go capitalist in the end

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the other game that they licensed their hoi2 engine to for a fan remake was arsenal of democracy and i got that for free because they ran a giveaway on twitter and i was the only person to enter

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah canning and then obviously rail and motor transport. I've heard it argued potatoes as well, since they're more dense (and also a lot easier for peasants to hide from foraging soldiers)

Depending on the weather and variety of potato, potatoes have a much longer harvest window than grain, some even can be overwintered, so peasants could often leave potatoes in the ground and harvest them over a longer period of time as-needed during the time armies were actively campaigning before the armies set up camps for the winter or dispersed back home to re-form back in the spring, whereas grain has a much stricter harvest time and then is stored. A marching army has time to go to a village and demand all their stored grain, they don't have the time to go to villages and demand a lot of potatoes be dug up.

There's a bunch of stuff that shows potatoes were adopted more quickly in areas where there were frequently armies on the march in europe.

in prussia they even gave free seed potatoes to peasants and told them to grow them on marginal land with instructions on how to best grow them and told them to feed livestock with them, knowing that when there was war, they could have their armies take the cows, pigs, and horses, demand all the grain, and that the peasants would probably still survive so they wouldn't be demolishing their tax base as badly.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

jenbo (@irockgnomes) is a good friend of mine and let me know that sid meier sent her a video to pass along to her mom. sorry about the video's format, this is how jenbo sent this to me:
https://i.imgur.com/s9RVM4r.mp4
sound on

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

inadvertently proving that communism is the optimal economic system is a time-honored vicky tradition tho
i love that story

the entire economics model of vicky 2 was designed by a scottish thatcherite that left the company shortly after release and got hired back after about 3 years because his startup failed, but he designed the economics model to specifically benefit laissez faire economics and wound up just never having the time to test how it would work in the game because he was planning on leaving the company and it turned out he had accidentally made it so that the more communist you were, the better

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Banished sounds like it's up my alley

I've been hearing good things about Manor Lord as the new Banished replacement, but it's not out for a couple weeks so it could just be good marketing.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the anarchists also operate under a system of societal pressure more oppressive than an actual authoritarian state would be to force everyone into doing exactly what the non-state state demands, idk if she actually did read it while she was writing but the tyranny of the structurelessness came out while she would have been writing

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
it's a really good book, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
in rimworld i only accept baseline humans and pigmen in my colonies.