Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

A 3d version centered around the American campaign in north Africa came out recently, I found it mediocre. I loving love close combat and I would dearly love it if someone could make a mod for the old 2d games that made the ai not-garbage, a feat that seems would be really easy with modern technology. Successfully executing a pin and flank with infantry, or an advance under smoke cover, or flanking a kv1 and forcing the crew to bail for morale reasons alone is just incredible.

Cross of iron is my favorite because it doesn't have the dubious strategic map layer, you just get that beautiful back and forth ebb and flow of retreating and advancing over the same piece of ground over and over, being able to just flee to positions in the rear is imo much more realistic than the bullshit morale bar of the later games that requires you too get completely hosed up before you auto bail.

I believe the issue with the ai was them literally not adapting it to the bigger map sizes as the series went on. This is why by the time you get to battle of the bulge the ai clusters in one corner. That corner is the size of the entire map from the older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush posted:

the ussr should have finished the job

it's a real shame about nukes because they'd have stomped everyone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

it actually already IS possible to simulate the attack on the Moskva

https://weaponsrelease.com/2022/04/18/simulating-the-sinking-of-the-moska/

yeah its interesting seeing the usual suspects flip between 'Russians are all incompetent and bad at war' and 'all their stuff is really bad'. Because if they're incompetent how would you even know how good the equipment was? Is the T72B3 a bad tank because a lot of them got blown up, or were they just being used poorly (it's probably the latter due to very little screening infantry). I just wanna ask these dumb fucks what they think would happen if a Javelin slammed into the roof of an Abrams, or Challanger 2 or Leopard 2. The Abrams might come off best with the blow out panels but the crew is probably still swiss cheese. Challanger 2 has 2 part ammo/charges all over the turret and hull and would probably go up like a roman candle. Best protected tank in NATO bla bla.

I don't get grogs that can't do critical thinking. Why even be a grog if you're not overanalysing everything? Just to be a curmudgeon?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

Combat Mission made sure to include Indians (Sikh or Muslim units), Free French, South Africans, Poles, Brazilians, New Zealanders, Canadians. The SD2 DLC has all of that plus Co-Belligerents and Greeks. In COH it's an easy way to get unit diversity, some fun voice lines etc.

That's too bad.

COH 3 seems like it was made on a shoestring budget and a development time of about 5 months

i don't really get what happened with it unless Relic were about to go under and just put something out really quick

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tankbuster posted:

the basic gameplay feels really better though. It's cool to go from COH2's high ground shenanigans to playing a game where it actually matters and is fun.

fair enough, might get it when its on sale

i'm a combat mission kind of guy at heart so i don't really know why i was whining about shoestring budgets

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i wish the weird boomers that make Combat Mission would just hire someone to make an engine properly so it at least ran at 900 fps with the current graphics

like it'd be nice if they improved the graphics as well but i'll accept it just running at greater than 20 fps

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

this is why you beeline slavery

many people are saying this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

that feeling when you first realised 'democracy' meant deregulated

"NATO has OPENED YOUR MARKETS TO PRIVATE INVESTMENT, no need to thank us"

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

You know reading that makes me hope the British just continue to inflict as much pain as possible on themselves.

the ones that run the system aren't the ones being hurt

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*tugs collar*

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

So it was completely unthinkable is what you're saying?

most empires do seem to sleepwalk into their own downfall as if it was always an inevitability

i guess the banality of evil just infests everything until all relevant positions are filled with fail sons. It keeps happening.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone should be ethnically cleansing anyone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Did search get much, much worse? It takes me 30 minutes or more to find things I know I've looked up before. Even finding photos of things that I know there are photos of and have seen before is an exercise in frustration.

it's designed for marketing now but they've gone above and beyond what they needed to do just to make advertisers happier

they've kinda closed off the internet, either deliberately or through incompetence

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

i remember ppl got mad over how much they reused between Napoleon and Empire TW

well that was a weird point but not for reusing perfectly good assets, it's just that Empire was basically Napoleon but done properly

still had a load of bugs that were never fixed like the AI being really bad at doing invasions from the sea to the point it barely tried

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i liked the flaming pigs in rome

more flaming pigs please

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

is there actually a good WWII naval strategy game?

War on the sea is 'ok' but is seemingly abandoned and still needs work

Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnaughts was getting good but then seems to have stalled out and the campaign system is terrible. Got bought out by a mobile game company around the time things started going bad. Not hopeful.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh you said strategy, i'm too stupid for those

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh ho

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think it could be fun but only as a space psycho which is the only type of empire people from the games forum ever made

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol i just bought ja3 but hadnt played it yet... wowie zowie

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
eurojank is going to hit differently now they've become political again

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that euro "we did racism but we did it smartly and it's so funny" smug rear end tone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
now i'm pissed off at the game it's time to actually play it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I think Far Cry 2 actually did a pretty good job at parts of this, while still being a retelling of Heart of Darkness in video game form.

Of course, the important thing about Heart of Darkness is that the real savages, monsters in the shape of men, that cause the ruination and evil encountered moving deeper into the interior are the Europeans. Somehow that's gotten lost eh?

So they did research, but then uh I guess decided on a certain art direction.

lol at western weapons being rare in the age of the US getting ran out of Afghanistan and having to leave all their poo poo behind

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm surprised we discussed why xcom is problematic and didn't mention that your head scientist's personality seems to be a weird pastiche of Mengele

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

thats in the first new xcom, in xcom 2 the scientist is a burger guy

oh yeah i forgot she is written out

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

That and Suez were the last independent actions of Europe as a power. Which if you want assert being an independent power bloc you might need something more than 2 actions more than a half century ago

I think the neoliberal mindset has made it so they can just move to the US once they've sold out everything. Under neoliberalism the aspirational ideal is 'number' which is to be made to 'go up'. So who cares about the EU? The US is the current HQ of number. So they'll be Good little EU bureaucrats until everything is hollowed out then move. I assume they hope to be awarded for their deeds once in the heart of empire.

Essentially the EU died the moment neoliberalism became a thing and profit motive replaced god

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I just want Aurora but with good UI and maybe visual gameplay.

not allowed

i've been wanting Battlefront.com to have some kind of epiphany and licence an actual engine for the combat mission games. But it can't happen. Can't have grog elements that really add something to the feel of the game AND have good graphics and UI

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
combat mission: shock force 2 has individual missions where you can play as Syria but they never made a Syrian army/insurgent campaign. As far as I know it's the only CM game where one of the sides has no campaign

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

the Long War team made Terra Invicta which is one of the most insanely, impressively ambitious games I have ever seen, it's what you would get if you took one of those dream 'perfect game' ideas you came up with when you were eleven and gave it a budget and a dev team

it mostly fails at meeting those ambitions, but they aimed so goddamn high that the result is still honestly pretty compelling

the game is simultaneously a turn-based Illuminati-simulator grand strategy game where secret societies jockey for control of the Earth's governments from behind the scenes and a hard sci-fi 4x space strategy game with Newtonian spaceflight, a full orbital mechanics simulation, and tactical fleet combat, each of them with enough poo poo stuffed into them to be an entire game all on their own, both running concurrently, and both of them janky and a bit busted

has it not improved since release? I was kinda hoping one day it would just get updated into being the one 4x to rule them all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i mean possibly but it was mostly 2000ad and dune

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that game looks mechanically good and i wanted to play it and then i found out it's some more weird anti-russian poo poo

wonder how many of these types of games were going to get

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

huh, had no idea that existed and by the looks of it no one else did either

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring posted:

While CoH2 had many flaws (the nazi apologist campaign being a big one), its biggest sin was not having the Soviet rifle squad say "Comrade, tie your loving laces"

lol at the time the nazi apologia seemed so random and now we know its because Relic are Canadian and Canada was the secret nazi hq all along

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that just makes me want to play close combat

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

oh no

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i was once worried that this game was gonna just fall back on pvp multiplayer to avoid having to have some depth, thank god the dev is a true dork and is going to make this my dream game

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Whilst waiting for more content (not touched it in a few months), I got really into Children Of A Dead Earth which does scratch an itch that may involve Newtonian mechanics and railguns.

Oh yeah I got this the moment it released and loved it. Got some more out of it with lots of dumb mods. Shame the guy doesn't seem interested in making a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
everyone remembers where they were the day zebras became political