Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarde Aduck posted:

fair enough, might get it when its on sale

i'm a combat mission kind of guy at heart so i don't really know why i was whining about shoestring budgets

reject the fail combat mission, embrace the dialectical graviteam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Combat Mission has the potential to be much better than Graviteam but people had to fight them on the forums for about a decade before they agreed to offer their games on Steam.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Close Combat 3: The Russian Front will always be the best WW2 RTS in my opinion

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well, at least they're honest about it.

But seriously, I also got stuck with the most useless, reactionary, governor generals possible. Like three different ones in a row being insane fundies getting real mad about not enforcing anglican church on everyone as the one true faith.

Also complete refusal to change anything, because they were always landlords. I don't know if the game is scripted to just always force landlords on you, or what. Since it's not hereditary, and there's no successor shown I assume it randomly generates a character.

Everyone was so tired of their poo poo that I just ended up forcing electoral reforms and ended up with a socdem super majority.

Also I'm like propping up UK so much. I still have no idea what the AI is doing, but the only reason it's still it's the number one great power is because it's leeching off like half my production and income.

Edit: Also this patch could still be bugged. Because the petit bourgeoisie have suspiciously low support. Everyone is either a progressive liberal or a peasant/worker.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

But seriously, I also got stuck with the most useless, reactionary, governor generals possible. Like three different ones in a row being insane fundies getting real mad about not enforcing anglican church on everyone as the one true faith.

Also complete refusal to change anything, because they were always landlords. I don't know if the game is scripted to just always force landlords on you, or what. Since it's not hereditary, and there's no successor shown I assume it randomly generates a character.

sounds pretty historical!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Also I'm like propping up UK so much. I still have no idea what the AI is doing, but the only reason it's still it's the number one great power is because it's leeching off like half my production and income.

Edit: Also this patch could still be bugged. Because the petit bourgeoisie have suspiciously low support. Everyone is either a progressive liberal or a peasant/worker.

bedpan posted:

sounds pretty historical!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Endman posted:

Nice try but it's Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Bunch of anglophiles ITT

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

So how many Indian VOs do you think they'd need to do the 8th Army justice? I guess central India and Punjab, plus Pakistan?

they could use generic north indian voices and it would be fine. Punjab/Pakistan as far as the war goes are essentially the same thing and accents have changed a lot over the last 80 years. They should grab a couple of fresh off the boat sikhs and have them curse with strong punjabi accents.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds historically accurate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

Correct.

Orange Devil posted:

Wrong.

The east-west back and forth operational meta is vastly superior to all the strategic map bullshit that came after, it's just peak CC. Also not being locked into weird unit structures that force you to do dumb poo poo like fielding tanks with no infantry or whatever instead of just having a point pool to buy whatever.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So yeah production methods are one the fundamental flaws in Victoria 3. Or at least letting the player control them.

Using powered tools, dead labour, only reduces the amount of living labour needed, it doesn't increase the overall productivity. So it only impacts capital accumulation. Less jobs, more money for capitalists.

This works fine for European countries which might have small populations, and need every single capable worker more productive. Except that doesn't work at all for larger populations in Qing Empire, British Raj, Russian Empire.

Just use manual labour for everything and you'll have a permanent, enfranchised, powerful proletariat. One weird trick, bourgeoisie hate it, capitalists btfo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
OTOH, close combat 2 allowed you to take out tiger tanks with gammon bombs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
So did Medal of Honor: Airborne

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
just finished a full game of Civ 4 this time - another Domination victory, ending in the 1800s, just as I discovered Rifling

I did a lot better than my last game of Civ 4 last year, mostly due to understanding the need for critical mass: have piles of units already built and raring to go by the time you declare war, which is doubly important with Civ 4's battle mechanics. Making sure you win all your battles also keeps the war weariness way down, which makes a protracted war easy to continue

I also made good use of sea transport this time around - I had something like a dozen Galleons shuttling troops from my main continent to the enemy's, and then shuttling the army from one coastal enemy town to the next. You move so much faster this way compared to trying to slog your Maceman/Longbowman/Trebuchet stack one tile at a time through enemy-controlled territory that prevents you from making use of roads

communism is very powerful in Civ 4 because it lets you make full use of Workshops to maximize production in cities

what I need to work on is using Forests - I don't chop them at all, but then Lumber Mills come in way too late, and I think I could be doing better in that regard

___

on the design front: there's an interesting dichotomy that you discover once you play 4 and 6 back to back:

in Civ 4, you have the Market, and the Grocer, and the Bank, as your economic improvements
in Civ 6, the equivalent is the Commercial Hub as the base district, with the Market improvement, and then the Bank, and then the Stock Exchange

in Civ 4, you have the Forge and the Factory as your industrial improvements (and also the various power plants, technically)
in Civ 6, the equivalent is the Industrial Zone as the base district, with the Workshop improvement, and then the Factory (and then also the power plants)

and so on across the various parallel tracks of improvements that specialize in religion, entertainment, military production, etc.

in Civ 4, any given city can have all of these improvements, provided you have enough turns and production to build it all
in Civ 6, that doesn't happen: since the districts have to be placed on tiles on the map itself, then you can run out of room to place all of the districts that you might want. As well, any districts you build beyond the first require that the city grow to a certain size: four population for two districts, seven pop for three districts, and so on

the trade-off is that in Civ 4, cities cost maintenance. Any given city can have as many improvements as your time and production can support... but until those improvements (and the general development of the city) come online, it's costing you more money just to have it exist
in contrast, cities in Civ 6 are "free", but cities are limited in how well-developed they can possibly be, due to the physical space constraints of districts, plus the population constraints of needing large cities before they can drop more districts

having said all that, this shift in design is not equivalent: Civ 6 still doesn't have a mechanic to discourage "infinite city spam" (besides sheer management tedium) because a new city is always a net gain, even if it were but a small one. But I thought the comparison was interesting as far as revealing that the designers did have some kind of "tradition" or baseline that they were drawing from, then they decided to invent the District mechanics

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Correct.

Wrong.

The east-west back and forth operational meta is vastly superior to all the strategic map bullshit that came after, it's just peak CC. Also not being locked into weird unit structures that force you to do dumb poo poo like fielding tanks with no infantry or whatever instead of just having a point pool to buy whatever.

CC2 is superior precisely because of the way the strat map layer works. It introduced the 5-map series that CC3 uses, but ties multiples of them together in a larger operational framework, which CC3 doesn't do, and has you play with multiple battlegroups concurrently which, depending on how you do, also end up interacting with eachother, which CC3 doesn't do. CC3s map layer is a step back from CC2. From CC4 onward they had the strategic map where the player had much more "control" over moving battlegroups around, and that never actually worked well at all.

Also because CC2 has a higher focus on infantry combat which is what the series is best at. Too many tanks and the gameplay starts to fall apart.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:04 on Mar 14, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Airborne was a fun game, it was an interesting mix of multiplayer mechanics like spawning and progression/unlocks in a single player game.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Bridge Too Far didn’t have a strategic map, it had the schedule and XXX Corps progress tracker, plus DZ maps. At the end of each day there was a video, and a report on where XXX Corps was, if the Allied player could get reinforcements.

The two remakes of A Bridge Too Far added the stuff you’re talking about.

e: Basically what Orange Devil said

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Not sure if the new Vicky 3 patch is good because I've just been playing Chile and there's not really a ton going on in that part of the world in my game yet

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's kind of hosed up how UK gets to teleport armies to it's puppet states in the middle of India when you try to get independence.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

It's kind of hosed up how UK gets to teleport armies to it's puppet states in the middle of India when you try to get independence.

The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was not so great as they say.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol I lost a game of Civ 4. About 30 turns in and three barbarian archers spawn three tiles away from my capital. the two warriors I had were exploring and couldn't make it back in time. no gold to rush-buy another warrior. one warrior garrisoned. the barb archers attack - first archer dies, the second kills the wounded garrison. my only city gets conquered, complete game over

in all my years of playing this is the first time things have lined up like that before. the only way to prevent it would have been to add to my garrison absent any visible threat, because the spawn was a random event

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol I lost a game of Civ 4. About 30 turns in and three barbarian archers spawn three tiles away from my capital. the two warriors I had were exploring and couldn't make it back in time. no gold to rush-buy another warrior. one warrior garrisoned. the barb archers attack - first archer dies, the second kills the wounded garrison. my only city gets conquered, complete game over

in all my years of playing this is the first time things have lined up like that before. the only way to prevent it would have been to add to my garrison absent any visible threat, because the spawn was a random event

this is why you beeline slavery

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

this is why you beeline slavery

many people are saying this

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I still have no idea how this war score poo poo works honestly.

What am I even supposed to do with the independence goal?

Killing half a million anglos is apparently not good enough.

Edit for better jpg quality.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

it’s kind of a crapshoot on what will trigger the ‘hold their capital’ condition, if you’ve got a prewar save you could try again without demanding reparations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

The 20 seconds from :40 on are forever burned into my brain

you're not allowed to do that poo poo on either of the bf1942 servers that are still running and that still see players daily

it sucks rear end!!! you just get autokilled if you go into an enemy uncapturable base and they kick you if you fire artillery into it or bomb it or whatever. i hate it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ro5s posted:

it’s kind of a crapshoot on what will trigger the ‘hold their capital’ condition, if you’ve got a prewar save you could try again without demanding reparations.

Yeah I guess just not making any other demands whatsoever is the only option.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Not sure if the new Vicky 3 patch is good because I've just been playing Chile and there's not really a ton going on in that part of the world in my game yet

Chile is funny because it starts with colonialism and you can instantly start colonizing Pacific islands if you switch interest to Oceania. You can also invade Hawaii before the USA

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHS7-8t9g8

Endman
May 18, 2010

:pcgaming:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Endman posted:

yeah I agree, also Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far has a lot of potential. I've posted about it before but I'd buy a remake, just the straight-up original games with modern graphics/resolutions that run on a modern OS. Improved UI, pathing, and maybe improved AI and balance would be bonuses. I wasn't a huge fan of the new strategic layer that the newest versions (Last Stand Arnhem for example) tacked on for some reason, the originals were pretty close to perfect imo.

I don't think my tactical rts needs this kind of thing but then again I could be wrong. Keep it very abstract and focus on the best part, moving little squads around on a battlefield.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Last Stand Arnhem sucked.

It feels like a lot more people played CC3 then CC2 (A Bridge Too Far) but I just don't buy anyone prefering CC3 over CC2 for any reason other than CC3 featuring the Soviets. Gamepay wise CC2 is just obviously superior.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
now that last part is plain wrong.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Name a single thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cc3 had different units depending on the year etc

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Cc3 had different units depending on the year etc

The tighter focus to one week in September was probably a positive considering the story A Bridge Too Far is telling. The forces are already decided, what the British, Polish and American paras had with them, plus XXX Corps. Given the scale of gameplay and map size, it makes a campaign where you tank those forces through the end of the campaign satisfying and plausible. Sgt Smith, the winner of a VC for his 17 Pdr knocking out multiple Tigers, that's a soldier you can get invested in. In CC3, you're discarding forces as the war goes on, until you get to I suppose T-34 Model 1943s. To really get invested in the soldiers, their leadership, morale, to learn the tactics used for a formation really well, I do think you need to play out your whole campaign with US AB BAR squads or something, rather than experiencing the huge variety of changes in equipment and tactics over the war.

This reminds me of an ad I can't find online anywhere for the Original Close Combat. I think it was in MacAddict magazine, though I'm sure others. At the top is text about ordering your rifle squad to attack a tank with a bazooka against all odds and blah blah and then the artwork is a GI standing in bocage country flipping off the reader. Introducing individual soldiers with their own states and morale and stuff was a big leap, and part of what makes Close Combat special. Not only would the soldiers very not likely do it, even if you had a Heroic or Berserk soldier that did, you get invested in them, so there are two checks on their behavior: their own in terms of suppression and morale, and yours in terms of starting to see them as your guys. Close combat does it the best, above even Combat Mission which I agree in theory could merge the large and small scale but is really held back by the developers, and I would suspect their small team and limited resources.

I like, and I've always commented this in developer feedback, the ability to follow large forces through a longer period of time, including equipment changes. That works for something thing SPWW2 and (variably) Combat Mission, it worked well in Theatre of War 2. I like being given a force, getting invested in them and fighting it out over a long period of time, but with the exception of maybe Armoured Brigade, nobody's quite managed to pull it off. Either the work required to make the huge variety of art assets required is too much, there isn't attention paid to TOE and OOB, the campaign doesn't feel right, personnel management isn't great. Whatever, I understand it's difficult.

A Bridge Too Far asked you to take a platoon from the 82nd AB who landed in the middle of the Netherlands and take Nijmegen Bridge. It asked you to take another group of guys from the 82nd and fight for the Groesbeek Heights. How they do, the qualities of their leaders, their fatigue, medals, that's a huge part of the game. XXX Corps showing up isn't just important strategically, you know "British Armour, 1944 Unlocked. British Motorized Infantry, 1944 Unlocked", it's taking some of the pressure off guys who have had to knock out StuGs and halftracks with bazookas for at least two days. Then you have new people to get invested in as you get to know your British tank crews. Just in that one area, which is just in the Nijmegen sector.

I had thought by 2020 with the computing we have there'd be a Grand Unified Wargame that could marry that with SPWW2s diversity of forces, scale, time frame, but it really has not happened yet. Maybe if a AAA studio set their minds to it, like I'm sure Rockstar could probably make it work, but otherwise, it seems very hard to get all of these pieces in sync.

Ideally we'd have, I don't know XCOM x Battlefront WW2 x a John Tiller Game x Combat Mission (x SPWW2), but nobody has managed it yet.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Mar 15, 2023

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
one of my favorite childhood gaming memories is still taking a Republican force through a whole-war auto-generated Spanish Civil War campaign in SPWW2 - it doesn't even matter that the scenarios were all random on random maps with no narrative to speak of, the additional context of having carried those little squads of militia and makeshift armored cars and WW1-era tanks through three years of fighting gave the campaign a weight that single disconnected scenarios just can't pull off, even when they are chained together in a narrative.

A Bridge Too Far did it even better, though, and I think I could still play and enjoy the original now if I could consistently get it working. Last Stand Arnhem is perfectly playable but I agree that the new strategic map is actually worse than the old way the campaign was structured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Close Combat 3 had me conduct a fighting retreat all the way to the kremlin and during the moscow counterattack missions afterwards I got to see the destroyed remains of the german tanks I had blown up in the previous operation. Also 3 had stuff like vehicles' engines freezing over in the brutal steppe cold.