Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Problem description: If I manually put my computer to sleep, everything works fine. If I am logged in, it doesn’t matter what I put in the power plan settings (I’ve had both screen and PC at one minute for a while), it never puts itself to sleep. If I switch to my daughter’s profile—even without logging out myself—then it’ll sleep on its own just fine. This has been happening for easily a year.

Attempted fixes: I’ve looked at the registered power requests, and there aren’t any. I’ve disabled various programs like MSI Afterburner and Argus Monitor in case they interfered. The only thing left in my login items is Dropbox, in case I had something started there that was messing up.

Recent changes: the opposite, really: I recently replaced the motherboard with an ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (Wi-Fi), and for a little bit it went to sleep properly. After about a week it stopped working again.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, up to date including NVIDIA drivers.

System specs: 3950x, 32GB PC3200 RAM, Micron and Samsung M.2 NVMe drives (the Samsung is a new addition with the new motherboard). 3090 with 2 monitors attached (Alienware 32” 1440p ultra-wide and another 27” 1440p gaming monitor), Naga mouse, Logitech keyboard (had a WASD earlier in this saga).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Oh boy yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated and make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for the reply!

W10 is up to date, but I’ll check the BIOS when I get back. I feel like it’s not even trying to sleep, because it works manually for me, and automatically as another user.

Is there a way to reset all power-related things I might have set on my user? Delete my personal power scheme or something?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to reset all power-related things I might have set on my user? Delete my personal power scheme or something?

Yeah, open cmd prompt and type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zogo posted:

Yeah, open cmd prompt and type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Thanks, gave that a shot.

I had a weird entry in -waketimers that a bunch of people had reported trouble with:

code:
Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 10:48:05 PM on 怀⊎W.
The last few characters different everytime I run powercfg, like it's reading random memory. I followed the advice on this page and that wake timer is now gone.

Also updated my BIOS, so we'll see if things are working now. I'll do a repair install next if not, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured it out!

I tried installing a fresh copy of Windows 11 on a spare partition, and it had the same problem, so I realized it had to be a device I had attached.

A bit of binary searching with a 1 minute sleep timer pointed the finger at my DS4, and indeed after unplugging its charging cable from the computer it sleeps properly. Weird that nothing told me that the device was preventing sleep, but at least I solved it eventually.