Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

A Moose posted:

I'm trying not to have too high expectations for this. It would be so easy to make it better than the Hobbit trilogy. It doesn't have to be as good as the Lord of the Rings movies, just good enough.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and I will watch it, as much as I hate giving amazon attention.

This is basically my perspective on the show. I'll watch season 1 with an open mind, and if I enjoy it/don't hate it then I'll continue watching. If it's boring or crap, I'll stop watching and just ignore it. I've enjoyed the books for 30+ years, it's not like that's going to change any time soon.

Though I will make an exception for baiting the people who say "oh I just don't want politics in my Tolkien show", asking them exactly what they mean by that (it's always racism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So are they gonna be allowed to actually use words like Hyarnostar since they don't have rights to Unfinished Tales or will it all be like "uhh we live in Fanfic Town, Numenor"

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Are those barefoot folk the early Hobbits? Looks like that meteor lands near them. Would that be a catalyst for them to leave their lands and go Westward to avoid any conflicts?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mameluke posted:

So are they gonna be allowed to actually use words like Hyarnostar since they don't have rights to Unfinished Tales or will it all be like "uhh we live in Fanfic Town, Numenor"

I think that they can make references to things but what they can't do is an entire episode about The Fall of Gondolin or something like that. But like, "yeah thousands of years ago there were 2 trees and they whipped rear end" is ok.

SyRauk posted:

Are those barefoot folk the early Hobbits? Looks like that meteor lands near them. Would that be a catalyst for them to leave their lands and go Westward to avoid any conflicts?

They are Harfoots, the first type of hobbit to make the journey west across the misty mountains. the show is pulling their appearance forward by ~1.5k years, but Tolkien never said "the hobbits were created by Eru in 500 of the Third age" so its plausible that Hobbits have likely existed as long as Men have.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 14, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

webmeister posted:

I also have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the super cool First Age stuff like the Oath, the Trees, Kinslaying, Helcaraxe etc is going to be part of a 10-minute background montage in episode 1, similar to how Fellowship starts with the story of the Ring up to Bilbo's party.
I mean, if that's Al-Pharazon, they sorta have to or else the plotting's gonna be all over the place, no? There's thousands of years between the Trees and the Downfall.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

webmeister posted:

This is basically my perspective on the show. I'll watch season 1 with an open mind, and if I enjoy it/don't hate it then I'll continue watching. If it's boring or crap, I'll stop watching and just ignore it. I've enjoyed the books for 30+ years, it's not like that's going to change any time soon.

Though I will make an exception for baiting the people who say "oh I just don't want politics in my Tolkien show", asking them exactly what they mean by that (it's always racism).

Pretty much. If the show sucks, we'll always have the books and the Jackson Trilogy to enjoy, those aren't going anywhere and will be around forever. I want the show to be good, but I'm not gonna set myself up for disappointment and go in expecting the elegance of the Jackson trilogy which I'm not sure could've been done any better. They don't even have the rights to the Silmarillion, just the LOTR appendices.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Galadriel is nice, but really, really scary powerful. The following is a comprehensive list of characters you see on-screen in any LotR or Hobbit movie who Galadriel could not effortlessly slap right across the horizon:
  • Sauron

I feel like Gandalf, Saruman, and Elrond would require at least some effort.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Anshu posted:

I feel like Gandalf, Saruman, and Elrond would require at least some effort.
Elrond is so much younger than her that she doesn't actually know how much, because there was an extended period there before they invented days that she was around for and he wasn't, and he never saw the Trees. He's an adorable little baby by her standards. As for Gandalf and Saruman, she told the Valar to pound sand to their faces. Two pissant Maia with power limiters on? I doubt she's breaking a sweat.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

what's up with these sword handles

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gresh posted:

Actually, those are swaffs. Part sword, part staff.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Elrond is so much younger than her that she doesn't actually know how much, because there was an extended period there before they invented days that she was around for and he wasn't, and he never saw the Trees. He's an adorable little baby by her standards.
All true, but Elrond is of the line of Luthien, heir of Eldar, Atani, and Ainur, and a Ringbearer; I figure those count for something.

CapnAndy posted:

As for Gandalf and Saruman, she told the Valar to pound sand to their faces. Two pissant Maia with power limiters on? I doubt she's breaking a sweat.

Standing up to the Valar certainly required moral courage (or at least obstinacy, depending on which incident in which version of her history we're discussing), but I'm not convinced it required a great deal of magical power, since the Valar kind of bend over backwards to not force the Children of Iluvatar to do anything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

All true, but Elrond is of the line of Luthien, heir of Eldar, Atani, and Ainur, and a Ringbearer; I figure those count for something.

Standing up to the Valar certainly required moral courage (or at least obstinacy, depending on which incident in which version of her history we're discussing), but I'm not convinced it required a great deal of magical power, since the Valar kind of bend over backwards to not force the Children of Iluvatar to do anything.
Yeah, but I figured "quarter Human" balanced out "quarter Maia" in Elrond's case. Fair enough point on how it's not like the Valar actually took the fight the elves were picking, but I still think she's more than a match for the Istari. Like, do you think she'd be seriously discomfited having to deal with a Balrog? I don't, and that's a Maia who hasn't been forbidden to actually use their power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hughmoris posted:

Actually, those are swaffs. Part sword, part staff.

Well now I feel foolish

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I hope Annatar get to be a fun character

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gresh posted:

I'm not feeling the way the Numenoreans look tbh. Like most of the costumes here just look look uninspired and even kinda cheap/campy

it looks like a bad star trek episode

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

YaketySass posted:

I hope Annatar get to be a fun character

he might be too old now, but back in the 00s after the trilogy came out, I always thought Cillian Murphy would've been perfect as Annatar. Put him in one of Peter Jackson's costumes with long silver or gold hair.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but I figured "quarter Human" balanced out "quarter Maia" in Elrond's case. Fair enough point on how it's not like the Valar actually took the fight the elves were picking, but I still think she's more than a match for the Istari. Like, do you think she'd be seriously discomfited having to deal with a Balrog? I don't, and that's a Maia who hasn't been forbidden to actually use their power.

I think conceptualizing Human heritage as a penalty that cancels and is cancelled by the bonus of Ainu heritage is a mistake. We see over and over again in the legendarium that free and willing cooperation and combination create results that are greater than the sum of their parts. And regarding Galadriel dealing with a Balrod, I do think it would take her serious effort to simply drive one away, and if she intended to kill it, I have difficulty imagining she could do better than Ecthelion or Glorfindel, both of whom were Calaquendi themselves and slew Balrogs only at the cost of their own lives.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The line about men and their fields of grain again has me wondering where elves get their food from since they apparently aren’t farmers.

I think dwarves just trade metal and gems for it?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Elves probably practice permaculture.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pioneer42 posted:

Curious how you could know what the Kinslaying is but NOT know Galadriel was around.

It’s been ages since I read the Silmarillion. I’m very fuzzy on a lot of the details, especially regarding specific characters, I tend to remember the big events in better detail (Fall of Gondolin, War of Wrath, etc.)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is the meteor? Is this something mentioned in the Silmarillion? I don’t know all the lore like a lot of you do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Might be Anglachel/Anguirel?

That's some pretty deep lore that has no direct impact on anything Second Age though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gonna guess it’s something completely mundane like a trebuchet shot.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
not sure about the costuming, but at least from the trailer its cinematography doesn't look like total dogshit (unlike wheel of time)

cautiously hopeful!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
check this out https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Elmo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TAke a look, y'all:

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Mungo_Baggins
https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Bungo_Baggins

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The bar for "new big fantasy show" was set so low after Wheel of Time that this Lotr show actually looks incredibly good compared to it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Someone didn't watch the Shannara show

Note: Everyone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Someone didn't watch the Shannara show

Note: Everyone.

The Shannara show at least had the scene where the steampunk hipster town watches Star Trek and boos at Spock because they think he's an elf.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The trees being in the trailer made me think we were going to get Melkor doing the deal with Ungoliant, and I have been dreaming about seeing that on-screen in some way or another ever since I first heard the story, especially the follow-up with him trying to betray his promise to her and getting so hosed up in the process that his screams wake up the Balrogs who come save his rear end. But based on what the OP says it seems like the show is set after that time and we may only see the trees briefly in a flashback or something which... well.... boo!

Still, I'll give this show a chance and hope for the best. Galadriel is certainly an interesting - and terrifying! - enough character to carry a show, if the casting is right.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
My concern is they split the story between too many characters and storylines, especially geographically, with the result over 8 episodes we get a lot of portentous one liners and little real dialogue, plot or character stuff because it’s all spread too thin. Even in a show like the Witcher I think it really suffered cutting back and forth between different storylines in a single episode, it’s a curse of a lot of recent prestige serialised stuff.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Will they bring in sexy Shelob lady is the question of the hour.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gresh posted:

They are real big, but historically there were swords like that, for instance the Japanese Nagamaki, and some European 2 handed swords have very big handles, so for a fantasy sword it's not the worst, as long as they actually use them considering that.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The line about men and their fields of grain again has me wondering where elves get their food from since they apparently aren’t farmers.

I think dwarves just trade metal and gems for it?

Elves had to farm since they existed well before humans and stuff and would have needed food in larger quantities than permaculture and whatnot could provide. Tolkien just never went into agricultural habits of anyone except the hobbits, whom he specifically wanted to frame as pastoral, peaceful farmers.

Same for dwarves where nothing is explicitly laid out, but feasts and stuff are mentioned. So either they have surface farms or some dwarvencraft means of farming underground.

Tolkien may sometimes go overboard on some details, but he knew not to just go into insane depth of stuff that did not matter to his story.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

I think conceptualizing Human heritage as a penalty that cancels and is cancelled by the bonus of Ainu heritage is a mistake. We see over and over again in the legendarium that free and willing cooperation and combination create results that are greater than the sum of their parts. And regarding Galadriel dealing with a Balrod, I do think it would take her serious effort to simply drive one away, and if she intended to kill it, I have difficulty imagining she could do better than Ecthelion or Glorfindel, both of whom were Calaquendi themselves and slew Balrogs only at the cost of their own lives.
Dammit, I forgot that there was precedent on Badass Elf v. Balrog. I yield, you are the superior nerd.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh man I kind of hope they have just one short clip of a balrog with wings just to make this thread go berserk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Elrond is so much younger than her that she doesn't actually know how much, because there was an extended period there before they invented days that she was around for and he wasn't, and he never saw the Trees. He's an adorable little baby by her standards. As for Gandalf and Saruman, she told the Valar to pound sand to their faces. Two pissant Maia with power limiters on? I doubt she's breaking a sweat.

Powerwise Galadriel doesn't really stand out from the crowd. She didn't face off with Morgoth or Sauron for example. Meanwhile, Gandalf is the only one to have battled a balrog and survived.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Alhazred posted:

Powerwise Galadriel doesn't really stand out from the crowd. She didn't face off with Morgoth or Sauron for example. Meanwhile, Gandalf is the only one to have battled a balrog and survived.

Though it literally killed him as well, so yeah, balrogs are bad news.

(Which makes it even more hilarious that you get to stomp one in Shadow of War but hey vidyagames gonna do that).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Book: nobody has ever heard of mithril except weird loremasters and Dwarves

Games: yeah mithril is the universal currency

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh man I kind of hope they have just one short clip of a balrog with wings just to make this thread go berserk.

They need to take a leaf from the books and just alternate between wings and no wings in consecutive shots with no explanation or even mentioning that it’s happening.

Though as always the PJ version nailed it, with wings made of shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Galadriel is nice, but really, really scary powerful. The following is a comprehensive list of characters you see on-screen in any LotR or Hobbit movie who Galadriel could not effortlessly slap right across the horizon:
  • Sauron

That doesn't even make her the most powerful elf in Middle-Earth considering that Luthien actually did that while Galadriel was busy chatting with Melian.