Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i watched the trailer again and it really looks extraordinarily poor. i wasn't expecting much, but it really does look like wish.com tolkien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I kind of disagree. It looks fine to me, what bothers my broken nerd brain is the squishing of the timelines from thousands of years apart into the same timeframe. I’m terms of visuals I think it looks good, though it doesn’t have that gritty physicality of Jackson’s trilogy, to be sure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it looks fine, but it's also like... an extreme pastiche of the Jackson LOTR movies. There's nothing really to be gleaned from this trailer other than wow remember those films

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It looks like the live action trailer for a AAA LOTR MMO that isn't Lord of the Rings Online.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably be more excited for this if they took inspiration from Tolkien's illustrations rather than Wow This Looks Just Like Alan Howe Again

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Im surprised people here are saying this looks aesthetically similar to the Jackson trilogy...I mean the wide landscape shots look really good, but not much else. I think part of the reason why the fandom's reaction to this has been mixed/negative(not the racists mad about brown people) is that it doesn't look much like Jackson's trilogy which for many has basically become the definitive look of live action Middle Earth for a lot of people, especially normies.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont like the jackson movies either but at least the costumes werent the worst part of them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I really like the landscapes/establishing shots fwiw. But then I also really liked them in the movies.

They do seem to have a bit of a different vibe this time. More detailed, more explicit, less calendar-art, less dreamlike. Just a vague impression of course and I'm probably thinking of different images than others might be.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Gresh posted:

I'm not feeling the way the Numenoreans look tbh. Like most of the costumes here just look look uninspired and even kinda cheap/campy

Costume on the right looks like they've raided someone's attic for their Christmas wrapping paper

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That photograph looks kinda Games of Thronesy and not very LOTR

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
A layer of film grain will do wonders

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hopefully the show won't look like that, or the numenoreans better had better break into song if they're gonna shoot it like a musical

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

Costume on the right looks like they've raided someone's attic for their Christmas wrapping paper

Yeah, nothing about that to me says "ancient and advanced powerful kingdom of men that rescued the Elves by completely routing Sauron's armies and forcing him to surrender.

Stuff like this is what I imagined the Numenoreans to look like.

Citadel guards in Return of the King have a great Numenorean look

Fan art of Ar-Pharazon and Tar-Miriel

For the Numenorean Queens/female royalty, I think something like this would've been cool, just swap out the oranges and yellows for black, silver, and blue/gold. Image is from Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the people in that screenshot also look oddly modern. they look like they all work in an office together and were signed up for a team building day at the local improv theatre

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I love LotR but I don’t understand how this costs so much. I don’t think it looks very good and they don’t have any real actors I recognize except some people from CW shows, which is another bad sign.

I hope I’m wrong as the time period could be pretty cool but the actors look like they are out of a fan film sometimes.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Does this show have anyone who could be considered a "showrunner", or was it made from start to finish by a committee?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We're going to hear a lot of whinging about the Notion Club the Inklings if that piece of criticism gets traction

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 18, 2022

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The trailer looks fine, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the Peter Jackson films. Hell, even Peter Jackson couldn't make another good Lotr movie.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BoldFace posted:

Does this show have anyone who could be considered a "showrunner", or was it made from start to finish by a committee?

Yeah, there are two, JD Payne and Patrick McKay, both of whom have been writers for 20+ years but never ran a show or writer's room before, let alone at this scale, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. There was a big writeup in VF earlier this year about the production and their experience:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/02/amazon-the-rings-of-power-series-first-look

e: I forgot they compared themselves to Frodo and Sam, then several other more experienced execs essentially became their Fellowship lol

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
There was not a single pure adaptation of his works. Also almost everything past LotR and Hobbit was edited and published after Tolkien die. I dont know if i am the only one who is fine with whatever adaptation comes up. There are many signs saying its not gonna be great, including 4 episodes being directed by wheels of time director (havent watched it, but it was not great from what ive heard). But I am still absolutely looking forward to it. Just dont dwell on hobbits too much please.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the hobbits in the trailer look like unsufferable "yes milord" stock peasants with muddy faces and dressed in rags

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mameluke posted:

We're going to hear a lot of whinging about the Notion Club if that piece of criticism gets traction

That Tolkien movie was surprisingly good, maybe there's something in an adaptation of all JRRT's literary buddies hallucinating about Numenor over ale at the Bird and Baby

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shibawanko posted:

the hobbits in the trailer look like unsufferable "yes milord" stock peasants with muddy faces and dressed in rags

its dope that you are continuing this gimmick in another thread

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its dope that you are continuing this gimmick in another thread

what gimmick

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I really hope this show doesn’t suck.

The Hobbit movies were such a disappointment. IN THREE MOVIES they didn’t even have Bilbo play riddles with Smaug’s smart rear end — imagine how good that moment could been with a good screenwriter, director, and art direction.

Please be better than The Hobbit movies, at least. Please.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MLSM posted:

I really hope this show doesn’t suck.

The Hobbit movies were such a disappointment. IN THREE MOVIES they didn’t even have Bilbo play riddles with Smaug’s smart rear end — imagine how good that moment could been with a good screenwriter, director, and art direction.

Please be better than The Hobbit movies, at least. Please.

Not likely. This adaptation is also expanding a relatively small amount of material into something that's larger than it can bare.

Tolkien's work just doesn't work as the type of political drama modern prestige genre tv likes either.

It'll be the Laketown + the extra Gandalf portions of the hobbit films.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

what gimmick

my man you have irrationally hated any LOTR content besides the books in the Tolkien thread forever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my man you have irrationally hated any LOTR content besides the books in the Tolkien thread forever

i dont though. i actually like most of the games, i was hoping this'd be less bland than the movies but it looks worse. it's not irrational to not like something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gresh posted:

I'm not feeling the way the Numenoreans look tbh. Like most of the costumes here just look look uninspired and even kinda cheap/campy

I don't think it helps that you can clearly see the main dude's wig line.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fez_machine posted:

Not likely. This adaptation is also expanding a relatively small amount of material into something that's larger than it can bare.

Tolkien's work just doesn't work as the type of political drama modern prestige genre tv likes either.

It'll be the Laketown + the extra Gandalf portions of the hobbit films.

Not that I'm disagreeing (the show could very well suck), but I would say that the nature of the insufficient-butter-spreading is way different this time. The Hobbit was small because it's a comedic children's book; the Appendices are small because they're a vague outline of thousands of years of political intrigue with hundreds of hinted-at characters.

The Hobbit had to be fleshed out by adding dumb action scenes and love interests and pointless complications to an otherwise very straightforward story. With the Second Age they'll have to make up their own character dramas and plotlines, true, but there's a lot more framework to hang it on and a lot less central narrative, I think; it'll be a matter of interpolation rather than extrapolation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Not that I'm disagreeing (the show could very well suck), but I would say that the nature of the insufficient-butter-spreading is way different this time. The Hobbit was small because it's a comedic children's book; the Appendices are small because they're a vague outline of thousands of years of political intrigue with hundreds of hinted-at characters.

The Hobbit had to be fleshed out by adding dumb action scenes and love interests and pointless complications to an otherwise very straightforward story. With the Second Age they'll have to make up their own character dramas and plotlines, true, but there's a lot more framework to hang it on and a lot less central narrative, I think; it'll be a matter of interpolation rather than extrapolation.

yeah, basically all we are doing is critiquing production stills and poo poo until we actually see what they do with the story. it could be godawful writing and be turned off in 15 minutes, or could be ok and fun, we just have to wait till September to find out.

the good signs are that in general the costumes and poo poo look decently well done, with embroidery work and whatnot instead of easier, cheaper options. not all fo them look good but its a huge show so we'll see how bad it gets. The sets seem large and well made, with lots of stuff in them to make it look good as opposed to the loving empty rear end sets in the WoT show. I at first hated the Numenorean armor but it does seem like they are intentionally trying to make it seem overdone and busy, hopefully more normal people have less silly stuff on. So there is some attention to detail, and that often indicates the general attitude of the production crew, and it seems they give a poo poo.

The people running the show have made it clear they indeed have read and re-read the Silmarillion and other relevant Tolkien works, so changes they make will be done intentionally. That won't make them good, but like with Movie Faramir, the writers thought the character as-is was too perfect and it would be jarring for a film audience for this random new character to refuse the ring. So there hopefully will at least be logic behind changes. for instance the time compression makes sense. trying to write a show wherein you keep making hundred year jumps, and some humans stay alive while others get old, and then new characters show up and are gone in an episode could be real bad for a person with no knowledge of the books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kind of funny that WoT (the book) very heavily emphasizes its descriptive text on clothes and elaborate costumes and embroidery and physical appearances, whereas LotR is famously all about "landscapes". These promo stills look like if WoT fans made a Tolkien show

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't have any problem with the costumes. Ostentatious colourful fabrics are more accurate to the historical societies that are the loose basis for the Numenorians anyway. The popular vision of Greeks and Romans wearing white all the time only owes to eighteenth century people looking at statues that the paint flaked off of.

If anything Ar-Pharzon should be wearing a gently caress-off purple robe made from twice as much fabric.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

CommonShore posted:

I don't have any problem with the costumes. Ostentatious colourful fabrics are more accurate to the historical societies that are the loose basis for the Numenorians anyway. The popular vision of Greeks and Romans wearing white all the time only owes to eighteenth century people looking at statues that the paint flaked off of.

If anything Ar-Pharzon should be wearing a gently caress-off purple robe made from twice as much fabric.

I dont think it's the colours of the fabric. More that they look like crap, like very low budget, local drama production whipped these up in a few hours vibes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it looks fine, but it's also like... an extreme pastiche of the Jackson LOTR movies. There's nothing really to be gleaned from this trailer other than wow remember those films

Yeah, I said this in the trailer thread, but I find it hilarious that the big nostalgia shot at the end of the trailer is of walking. Gotta play the hits.

I wanna like it. I LOVE the Jackson movies. I watched the special features on the 4 discs almost as much as I watched the movies themselves. It's where I started to learn about how movies are made (I don't work in the industry or anything, I just like to pretend I know what I'm talking about). They're the closest I ever came to liking a trilogy as much as Star Wars. I'm definitely going to try it. But nothing I've seen so far is inspiring much hope.

As a side note, like, I remember when the Fellowship of the Ring 4 disc special features had a thing on Digital Grading, and what that could do to change how a shot/scene looked like. It blew my loving mind. In my head, you just shot the scene you had, with the exception of lighting. "You can do that to a shot? Or even just one part of a shot? Like, just Orlando Bloom's eyes?" Just to draw your attention one way or another. Storytelling through digital grading. Wild, to college aged me. I wish more movies had indepth BTS stuff like that. Even bad movies. Hell, especially bad movies.

edit: Found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqCT2Jq8o1E

Some parts seem basic, now. Some parts still seem like magic.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 18, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol @ 2:56 2000s era blue wash digital grading

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I said this in the trailer thread, but I find it hilarious that the big nostalgia shot at the end of the trailer is of walking. Gotta play the hits.

They even have song about walking in the trailer.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know why they're bothering aping the visuals when they've clearly embraced the absolute worst of jackson, walsh, and boyens' takes on the dialogue. people will feel that iconic lord of the rings feel with classic lines like "this could be the beginning of a new era"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Mameluke posted:

they've clearly embraced the absolute worst of jackson, walsh, and boyens' takes on the dialogue

How do you know this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TipTow posted:

How do you know this?

No Tom Bombadil