Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, is that what that was? Sweet.

My initial reaction was "the Trees? Does that mean we're getting Feanor?", so Feanor confirmed loving rules. Is that maybe who Galadriel was having her dick-measuring contest with? Because it'd be entirely in character for both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BigglesSWE posted:

I didn’t know Galadriel was present for the Kinslaying. Goddamn she had a life and a half didn’t she.
Galadriel was present for the Kinslaying and also (and I'll spoiler this poo poo because it looks like it might get covered in the show) also present for Feanor burning the swan ships after he used them like the supreme dickbag he is, stranding her in Valinor, and then Galadriel is chief among the elves who decides "well gently caress that rear end in a top hat but I still want to leave and do my own thing" and they go on a horrific forced march through a frozen wasteland for literal years.

Galadriel is nice, but really, really scary powerful. The following is a comprehensive list of characters you see on-screen in any LotR or Hobbit movie who Galadriel could not effortlessly slap right across the horizon:
  • Sauron

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

webmeister posted:

I also have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the super cool First Age stuff like the Oath, the Trees, Kinslaying, Helcaraxe etc is going to be part of a 10-minute background montage in episode 1, similar to how Fellowship starts with the story of the Ring up to Bilbo's party.
I mean, if that's Al-Pharazon, they sorta have to or else the plotting's gonna be all over the place, no? There's thousands of years between the Trees and the Downfall.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

I feel like Gandalf, Saruman, and Elrond would require at least some effort.
Elrond is so much younger than her that she doesn't actually know how much, because there was an extended period there before they invented days that she was around for and he wasn't, and he never saw the Trees. He's an adorable little baby by her standards. As for Gandalf and Saruman, she told the Valar to pound sand to their faces. Two pissant Maia with power limiters on? I doubt she's breaking a sweat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

All true, but Elrond is of the line of Luthien, heir of Eldar, Atani, and Ainur, and a Ringbearer; I figure those count for something.

Standing up to the Valar certainly required moral courage (or at least obstinacy, depending on which incident in which version of her history we're discussing), but I'm not convinced it required a great deal of magical power, since the Valar kind of bend over backwards to not force the Children of Iluvatar to do anything.
Yeah, but I figured "quarter Human" balanced out "quarter Maia" in Elrond's case. Fair enough point on how it's not like the Valar actually took the fight the elves were picking, but I still think she's more than a match for the Istari. Like, do you think she'd be seriously discomfited having to deal with a Balrog? I don't, and that's a Maia who hasn't been forbidden to actually use their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Anshu posted:

I think conceptualizing Human heritage as a penalty that cancels and is cancelled by the bonus of Ainu heritage is a mistake. We see over and over again in the legendarium that free and willing cooperation and combination create results that are greater than the sum of their parts. And regarding Galadriel dealing with a Balrod, I do think it would take her serious effort to simply drive one away, and if she intended to kill it, I have difficulty imagining she could do better than Ecthelion or Glorfindel, both of whom were Calaquendi themselves and slew Balrogs only at the cost of their own lives.
Dammit, I forgot that there was precedent on Badass Elf v. Balrog. I yield, you are the superior nerd.