Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yo you got any dog stomping trading cards my goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Is this the one where a raptor gains the ability to use guns and it runs into a children’s learning center with an AR-15 while chris pratt’s character plays with his phone outside?

I’m sorry I’m on a lot of medication right now so I’m losing track of stuff as of recent.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

The Walrus posted:

He's talking about when the lady gets hosed around with by pterasaurs before being eaten by the Ichthyosaur

It's 45 seconds tops including 20 seconds of kid reaction shots

the actual evil villain gets a raptor lunging towards him and then the movie cuts away. you can't even pretend it wasn't super weird to torture that lady.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah I also didn't really find it notable at the time, but looking back on it, it's pretty weird and I'm struggling to think of any other person being tortured more in the series. Maybe the Lost World compy attack.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

He's talking about when the lady gets hosed around with by pterasaurs before being eaten by the Ichthyosaur

It's 45 seconds tops including 20 seconds of kid reaction shots

Wtf?! None of those things are dinosaurs!!!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mooey Cow posted:

Wtf?! None of those things are dinosaurs!!!

wait until you see the new movie

not even just talking about the dimetrodons

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yo you got any dog stomping trading cards my goon

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/85506/cid/6199232/1988-Topps-Dinosaurs-Attack!-8-Crushing-a-Canine

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
yeah that's not great

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
rip canine

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
The tone of those cards veers widely from goofy camp to gross and mean.

I like the dude surfing on a dinosaur’s head in no.23: https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/85506/cid/6199247?PageIndex=1

Also the pro-wrestlers tag teaming a dinosaur in no.40: https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/85506/cid/6199264?PageIndex=1

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The original 3 movies have a very high correlation between film quality and the quality of their action figure lines.

JP is an all time classic with all time classic toy tie ins and lol at anyone who doesn’t think so. You got the iconic two vehicles, a big fuckoff goddamn visitors center playset with a hatchery, computer with voices and sounds, and lots of stuff on the building for the dinosaurs to wreck. There was even a big door on the balcony where the Trex could pop his head through and promptly corpse any unassuming figure. The dinosaurs all had DINO DAMAGE, which were little pieces of rubbery flesh-like chunks that you could have another beast bite out of them, revealing BONES and GUTS underneath. It also had maybe the best action figure play feature of all time, a Dennis Nedry (who looks like a secret service agent for some reason instead of Newman) who could have his loving ARMS RIPPED OFF.

TLW was unnecessary but also was a pretty okay sequel with good merch and toys. It also put Jeff Goldblum in the lead role which was an inspired decision. It also pretty neatly wrapped up the franchise with the island being a protected preserve and giving us the city rampage money shot sequence.

JP3 was an abomination and easily the worst of the franchise. This is also where the toys started going off the loving rails, replacing big rear end. Where you got a big rear end command compound for JP1 and a cool mobile command trailer for TLW, the figures for 3 were flimsy and cheap feeling, the vehicles were uninspired garbage not even in the movie, and the Dinos were crap too. Awful.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Pretty sure the main villian in this shows the hero's a bible and mentions it has no dinosaurs in it and the movie just ends

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ante posted:

Yeah I also didn't really find it notable at the time, but looking back on it, it's pretty weird and I'm struggling to think of any other person being tortured more in the series. Maybe the Lost World compy attack.

It feels like they tried to set it up that she didn't give a poo poo about the kids she was supposed to be watching and therefore deserved it, but in that case bdh should have been up there with her.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I like when they introduce a little side villain who's built up like a big deal with her own trained raptors and then she totally disappears from the movie.

Then there's ANOTHER side villain that shows up right near the end, like he's the main bad guy's secret bodyguard or something, and he also just disappears.

And I really like how the main villain keeps asking for food bars and you think this is going to pay off but it never does, instead he dies in a really bizarre homage to the first movie that seems to suggest he's somehow aware of events in that first movie that nobody in the world could be. Which is fitting because he also has access to the shaving cream can that was buried in mud in a random spot on an island that was then abandoned and eventually destroyed by a volcano.

The main villain in JWD is Dr. Lewis Dodgson, aka the guy Nedry met with at the resort in the first JP. This is funny because in the first movie, he comes off as a shady merc middleman/info broker type, but JWD wants us to believe he earned a PHD, transformed himself over the ensuing 28 years into Tim Cook (he honestly looks like a Tim Cook impersonator and acts like a mix between him and Steve Jobs) and became the head of a shadowy evil science company that is clearly meant to be Dinosaur Apple. This is why he has some knowledge of the events of the first movie, and why the Barbasol can is in his office.

Of course, the movie never bothers to remind/tell you that the big bad of the movie, and ostensibly the entire trilogy in retrospect, is in fact a very minor character from a movie that came out 28 years ago. It’s “Somehow, Palpatine returned,” but instead of Palpatine it’s a random Jawa who had like 10 seconds of screen time in 1977. That’s part of the reason the ironic death mirroring of Nedry’ s in the end falls flat.

Also fun fact: Cameron Thor, the original actor who portrayed Dodgson in JP went on to serve 6 years in prison for sexually assaulting his then 13 year old acting student, which MAY have something to do with the fact he wasn’t asked back with the rest of the old crew.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 16, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

iirc in the book he's a lot more that type

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

lmbo

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

bloodysabbath posted:

... and why the Barbasol can is in his office.

how did it get there though. nedry dropped it in the mud in jp

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah that was dumb and an incredibly obvious plothole they introduced for fan service no one cared about

Maybe they made a ton of them and gave them out to a bunch of people. But the one they showed was hosed up in the same way Nedry's would be, and I'd imagine most people would take better care of theirs. So I dunno, I'm trying to justify something dumb

Edit: now they gotta normalise dinos everywhere and like, not make it a big deal or anything. I want a new Airbud with a pachycephalosaur playing volleyball

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grCRBa0n72c

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The can should have been the easiest thing in the world, blah blah there was a transponder for a team to later retrieve bloopy bloop. But they DGAF.

I think this was actually the plot of a Sega JP Arcade light gun game, so I guess I’ll just pretend that’s canon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the super nintendo JP game with the top town and the 3d inside sequences was too hard

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
you could be a dinosaur in the genesis version, this was a big deal in it's advertising so

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nobody gets eaten by an ichthyosaur in Jurassic World. I don't even think they have one.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'm still boycotting this franchise until they include ONLY Jurassic period dinosaurs. None of this Cretaceous period bullshit. It's about truth in advertising.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ll spoil this for safe measure (even though I worded it vaguely enough) about Jurassic World. Read on if you don’t care about spoilers:

Jurassic World had a horrifically drawn-out death that was totally unnecessary for someone undeserving of it. I get that the filmmakers were going for an “all bets are off and anyone can die by dinosaur” universe in World, but it seemed targeted to me because it was the first woman to die in the JP franchise.

It also occurs during a rampant dinosaur attack, and while other people are shown being attacked in the background, it’s minor, no one else seems to die during this attack, and the focus is on the 2 minute death of the character.

It was an uncomfortable thing to watch, and I’ve only watched JW once for that particular death, and because it just wasn’t a very good movie. Then I saw Fallen Kingdom and realized the World sequel franchise was gonna be hot and messy rear end diarrhea and I refuse to watch Dominion. I value the few remaining working cells and neurons I have left in my brain.

So yeah, you did good on not seeking out the other two World movies.

I don't remember this at all then I looked it up,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjVbTfD67s

Ya it was pretty gratuitous but also your literally going to see a movie about people getting hosed up by dinosaurs so :confused:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
God that movie was bad

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Some times the right man for a dinosnack is a woman.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Yeah idk what I expected, this is pretty gnarly lol.

Love the energy of groom & bride & triceratops below tho

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mr. Crow posted:

Ya it was pretty gratuitous but also your literally going to see a movie about people getting hosed up by dinosaurs so :confused:

I said so in my post.

quote:

I get that the filmmakers were going for an “all bets are off and anyone can die by dinosaur” universe in World…

JP wasn’t originally conceived to showcase gratuitous dinosaur deaths, it was about escape and survival from dinosaurs. That was all thrown out the window once the World franchise debuted. They have been poo poo rear end butt movies since lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Nobody gets eaten by an ichthyosaur in Jurassic World. I don't even think they have one.

It was a mosasaur (scaled up about three times too big). Ichthyosaurs look like fat dolphins and do not appear in the movies.

Also pterosaurs cannot grasp and even if they could they couldn't lift a a person.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 17, 2022

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

You Are A Elf posted:

I said so in my post.

JP wasn’t originally conceived to showcase gratuitous dinosaur deaths, it was about escape and survival from dinosaurs. That was all thrown out the window once the World franchise debuted. They have been poo poo rear end butt movies since lol

All the main characters do escape and survive from the dinosaurs tho?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I can’t wait for Jurassic Space.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Imagine going to see JW3 JP6 The Dinoreckoning when you can waste just as much time watching the latest Dr Strange at home.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

JP wasn’t originally conceived to showcase gratuitous dinosaur deaths, it was about escape and survival from dinosaurs

Are you sure? All the many deaths in the books are like extremely gross and way too detailed.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't remember this at all then I looked it up,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1AjVbTfD67s

I didn't remember that either. I agree, it's super weird that that would last so long (in a Jurassic movie anyways). Jesus.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Modern blockbusters suck my nut. Make Titanic II and Gladiators.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
do you think theyll let me gently caress the dinosaurs?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hector Delgado posted:

Pretty sure the main villian in this shows the hero's a bible and mentions it has no dinosaurs in it and the movie just ends

That's Chris Pratt

Probably

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mooey Cow posted:

Are you sure? All the many deaths in the books are like extremely gross and way too detailed.

Ignore the books. One of the few cases where the movie blows the book out of the water.

The only onscreen JP death is the lawyer, and that hardly counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

great casting for a fan edit