Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

The original 3 movies have a very high correlation between film quality and the quality of their action figure lines.

JP is an all time classic with all time classic toy tie ins and lol at anyone who doesn’t think so. You got the iconic two vehicles, a big fuckoff goddamn visitors center playset with a hatchery, computer with voices and sounds, and lots of stuff on the building for the dinosaurs to wreck. There was even a big door on the balcony where the Trex could pop his head through and promptly corpse any unassuming figure. The dinosaurs all had DINO DAMAGE, which were little pieces of rubbery flesh-like chunks that you could have another beast bite out of them, revealing BONES and GUTS underneath. It also had maybe the best action figure play feature of all time, a Dennis Nedry (who looks like a secret service agent for some reason instead of Newman) who could have his loving ARMS RIPPED OFF.

TLW was unnecessary but also was a pretty okay sequel with good merch and toys. It also put Jeff Goldblum in the lead role which was an inspired decision. It also pretty neatly wrapped up the franchise with the island being a protected preserve and giving us the city rampage money shot sequence.

JP3 was an abomination and easily the worst of the franchise. This is also where the toys started going off the loving rails, replacing big rear end. Where you got a big rear end command compound for JP1 and a cool mobile command trailer for TLW, the figures for 3 were flimsy and cheap feeling, the vehicles were uninspired garbage not even in the movie, and the Dinos were crap too. Awful.

I'm an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Bula Vinaka posted:

I didn't remember that either. I agree, it's super weird that that would last so long (in a Jurassic movie anyways). Jesus.

Yea fair enough I didn't remember that. Reminds me of a nature doc I watched as a kid with orcas flicking a half dead seal around

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

ante posted:

Ignore the books. One of the few cases where the movie blows the book out of the water.

The only onscreen JP death is the lawyer, and that hardly counts

Wait Muldoon's death is on screen as well. Its partially covered by a fern but it drops for a second and you see the raptors mouth around his head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how at the end of The Lost World John Hammond talks about how the DInosaurs on Site B need to be left alone. Then Jurassic World says that he signed away everything with InGen over to Masrani who immediately opened up the park again, and then the next movie goes on about how Hammond was actually working with James Cromwell to clone human beings.

Just get the free trial for Apple TV and watch Prehistoric Planet for a few days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouurXEqn4BA

Proper Therizinosaurus

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 17, 2022

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I'll wait until JW4, where the we finally get the sexual tyrannosaurus we've been promised. The ultimate apex (sexual) predator!

C'mon science, don't stop this train wreck.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

ante posted:

Ignore the books. One of the few cases where the movie blows the book out of the water.

The only onscreen JP death is the lawyer, and that hardly counts

A dude has an extended death in literally the first scene of the movie. Grant's little speech to the kid about the guts spilling out and being alive while they start eating is also from the book except there it really happens to some guy. They also took inspiration from the book when the tiny dinosaurs somehow kill Peter Stormare in Lost World. They just aren't doing it exactly like in the books cause then the movies would be rated X or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Newman was gruesomely eaten alive, chunks of his flesh ripped off his body, even if his actual death wasnt on screen

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Who What Now posted:

Newman was gruesomely eaten alive, chunks of his flesh ripped off his body, even if his actual death wasnt on screen

I think you're misremembering, friend

Mooey Cow posted:

A dude has an extended death in literally the first scene of the movie. Grant's little speech to the kid about the guts spilling out and being alive while they start eating is also from the book except there it really happens to some guy. They also took inspiration from the book when the tiny dinosaurs somehow kill Peter Stormare in Lost World. They just aren't doing it exactly like in the books cause then the movies would be rated X or something.

Yah, I did forget the intro scene, and also the single frame of Muldoon's head in jaws

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Who What Now posted:

Wasn't this in Cool Hand Luke?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ante posted:

I think you're misremembering, friend

mudskipp posted:

Wasn't this in Cool Hand Luke?

poo poo you're right

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The World sequels wish they could be this cool, but failed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

You Are A Elf posted:

The World sequels wish they could be this cool, but failed.

Tag yourself. I'm the pteranodon's goiter.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Jurassic World is great because the CEO VP lady is literally why everything falls apart and for whatever reason morphs into the love interest and is actually good you see.

Meanwhile her assistant does her job IN addition to taking care of two poo poo kids and gets brutally murdered for it.

Maybe we'll finally get dinos with guns for teeth in the next one.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Jurassic World is great because the CEO VP lady is literally why everything falls apart and for whatever reason morphs into the love interest and is actually good you see.

Meanwhile her assistant does her job IN addition to taking care of two poo poo kids and gets brutally murdered for it.

Maybe we'll finally get dinos with guns for teeth in the next one.

We’re absolutely going to get some stupid bullshit like a war movie set in the Middle East but the US military has weaponized dinosaurs or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There was at least one game about Nazi dinosaurs

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Weaponised dinosaurs in the hands of the foreigners to force use of armoured vehicles so the US don't retire all their tank units. It's a long play by the MIC to ensure future sales.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

goatface posted:

It's a long play by the MIC to ensure future sales.

You could say it was… 65 million years in the making

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

GetDunked posted:

I haven't seen Jurassic world but after watching fallen kingdom I don't want to see it or the third one. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it

There's a part in Jurassic World where the evil scientist goes on a rant about how of course making the Super Dinosaur was stupid. This whole thing is stupid, but they're stuck with this dumb, crowd-pandering oneuppmanship because it's what the movie-going - err, uh, the park going - public demands. They don't even make the dinosaurs look real. They're intentionally making the dinosaurs look like what people think the dinosaurs should look like (because that's how they looked in previous films).

I kind of liked that part, but, imo, it doesn't excuse the rest of the film. You can't just roll your eyes at the camera, go "this is so dumb", but then keep doing the dumb stuff.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

There's a part in Jurassic World where the evil scientist goes on a rant about how of course making the Super Dinosaur was stupid. This whole thing is stupid, but they're stuck with this dumb, crowd-pandering oneuppmanship because it's what the movie-going - err, uh, the park going - public demands. They don't even make the dinosaurs look real. They're intentionally making the dinosaurs look like what people think the dinosaurs should look like (because that's how they looked in previous films).

I kind of liked that part, but, imo, it doesn't excuse the rest of the film. You can't just roll your eyes at the camera, go "this is so dumb", but then keep doing the dumb stuff.

For me it rang hollow. The park was crammed with people still, they still had a monopoly on the dinosaurs, and if their customer base was people who love dinosaurs then making an obviously fake one would risk splitting the fan base so to speak. You'd be better off continuing to develop new "real" species.

Almost as dumb as the secret program to develop laser pointer raptors.

Or an auction at a single location letting loose a handful of dinos equating to a rapid case of worldwide dinosaur infestation.

I guess what I'm saying is the JW story is bad.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ll spoil this for safe measure (even though I worded it vaguely enough) about Jurassic World. Read on if you don’t care about spoilers:

There's a persistent rumor that her death was one of the only scenes remaining from an early version of the script where that character mistreated and eventually abandoned the two boys that her boss forced her to babysit. The prolonged death scene would have been "earned" punishment for her choice to abandon the children, the same as Gennaro (the lawyer's) death in the original Jurassic Park. There are still traces of that plotline in earlier scenes where she's more interested in her tablet than paying attention to the kids.

Then 90% of that plot got cut so they could have Chris Pratt teach Raptors to drive motorcycles or some poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Still lolling that at the idea that that death is "targeted." It is one of the longer death scenes, but it almost looks like something that was designed for 3D.

Here are all the deaths from the Jurassic Park franchise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5G-6xeXFyI

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

goatface posted:

Weaponised dinosaurs in the hands of the foreigners to force use of armoured vehicles so the US don't retire all their tank units. It's a long play by the MIC to ensure future sales.

better option:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dino Riders loving owned and continue to own. :colbert:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Owen and Claire are two of the most boring leads of all time, and they get completely outclassed when the Jurassic Park leads show up. Even though the writing is uniformly awful, it's wild to see how much more fun Alan, Ellie, and Ian are in this stupid movie. Even if Alan becomes Indiana Jones for some reason.

There's also some weird stuff about motherhood in these movies. The clone girl has this whole crisis because she thinks she's a complete clone of her Mom and not a "real" person. Then we find out her mom carried her like a normal pregnancy, so suddenly the girl is a "real" person? And Claire doesn't find fulfillment in life until she gives up her job and becomes a mom to the clone girl.

It's really weird, I dunno, feels like somebody with some issues worked on the script.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
In Jurassic World, you can tell Owen is a cool badass since the other characters are always commenting about how much of a cool badass he is. Also he has a motorcycle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
thats one big load of horse poop

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Chris Pratt choking out a dinosaur is the funniest goddamn thing I've seen all year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kinda on the nose re his views, no?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Still lol'ing over the fact that an old man's lovely dinosaur park eventually causes a global catastrophe with irreparable damage to ecosystems worldwide

Did they ever give a non-flimsy answer as to why these invasive, man-made genetic abominations weren't immediately euthanized on sight

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As soon as they were generated they were endangered species. The WWF refused to allow any cull.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ChickenHeart posted:

Still lol'ing over the fact that an old man's lovely dinosaur park eventually causes a global catastrophe with irreparable damage to ecosystems worldwide

Did they ever give a non-flimsy answer as to why these invasive, man-made genetic abominations weren't immediately euthanized on sight

Look, we brought back a long extinct species that has no place in the wild and completely fucks the natural ecosystem. But that doesn't mean we have the right to erase them from existence again! Who are we to play God?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

ChickenHeart posted:

There's some stuff about them being miracles that should be protected, which kind of loses steam when you realize how easy it apparently is to keep cloning these things. You had a couple species escape at the end of the last movie. But by this movie, Biosyn's cloned dozens of new species, presumably without needing those other dinosaurs at all. Or maybe they did? Who knows, it's not explained, there's just new dinosaurs chilling out both in the real world and at the Biosyn facility.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Fill the country with wild dinosaurs then everyone will need their own dinosaur for protection, create yourself a market

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The constitution guarantees my God-given right to bear arms, and I have decided I will arm myself with dinosaurs!!!

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
God lord look at the finger nails in the first photo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mudskipp posted:

God lord look at the finger nails in the first photo
Dino DNA.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Stained yellow from boogers

Burns
May 10, 2008

Guns also dont work in the JW universe.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
dinoBORES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We have extinctified countless species on accident we could wipe out dinos over a long weekend