Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cubone posted:

my sister disappeared when I was a teenager

the cop who came to interview my parents was very considerate and personable. we saw her a lot over the next few days

she helped gather up and instruct volunteers for a walking search of the area where my sister went missing

I remember hearing my dad cried because she told him that if they found my sister's body not to go to her because it could destroy evidence

it shouldn't matter, but since it does, I'll mention that we're asian and the cop was too, and we've never been rich but we were doing alright

that was my first and only good experience with a cop

it was nice
not my sister disappearing, that was hosed
but the cop did everything she could to make the situation as easy as she could for us

whenever I think about it it kind of bums me out
because that's not what cops are, but it's what society will tell you cops are, and... it was nice
it would be nice if, in dangerous or volatile situations, there were people you could turn to, kind and compassionate professionals who were entrusted with keeping the peace in our society, protecting ordinary people, and who you could trust to behave decently and not have to worry that they’ll randomly loving murder somebody or shoot your dogs or something
I think that's kind of the quiet tragedy of the whole thing that gets lost in the noise- it's really sad that as a society we've just utterly failed to provide that

you had a good experience. not the first or the last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
in high school a cop busted me with weed and he said i shouldnt buy it because the guy selling the dime bag might see i have more money in my wallet and rob me so ty for that life saving advice mr police man

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Unless it's an easy thing, the police always show up late.
I am happy to provide examples if anyone asks.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 18, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Unless it's an easy thing, the police always show up late.
I am happy to provide examples of anyone asks.

explain

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The cops showed up at my house and deigned to join in on my daily salah, Allah preserve them

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Multiple times, at work, we have called for the police for people that are aggressive and violent. They take their sweet time. It take hours.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The cops showed up at my house and deigned to join in on my daily salah, Allah preserve them

did they stop to praise God and prey towards Mecca?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
When my friend is skating to a local park, it takes five minutes for the police to show up because they said he was suspicious for wearing a black Sabbath shirt.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
They show up quick for that because they know they have to do no work.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Multiple times, at work, we have called for the police for people that are aggressive and violent. They take their sweet time. It take hours.

ok

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i was skateboarding at a school when I was like 11 drinking Jolt cola and this cop showed up to kick us out and he took and poured out my Jolt cola while looking at me like a bully from a disney channel movie

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The police are lazy violent bastards.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

ACAB except for one time only the cop that showed up when my wife was having a PTSD episode knew what was going down, didn't shoot her, and called for a counselor. The lack of violence and human compassion makes me wonder if he was really a cop.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Guy Patron posted:

When my friend is skating to a local park, it takes five minutes for the police to show up because they said he was suspicious for wearing a black Sabbath shirt.

wearing a black sabbath shirt is cool as hell

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Guy Patron posted:

The police are lazy violent bastards.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
a cop in philly bummed a smoke off me once

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vanadium Dame posted:

ACAB except for one time only the cop that showed up when my wife was having a PTSD episode knew what was going down, didn't shoot her, and called for a counselor. The lack of violence and human compassion makes me wonder if he was really a cop.

a valid question

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Vanadium Dame posted:

Well you're rolling. A D20. The cops hate, really hate having to do their job.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Also, my brother, wife and a few friends were hanging out on July 4th in 2008 I think.. The city fireworks display takes place near the middle/high school which was across the street from my old house. We were all drunk as gently caress and decided the best thing to do was fire bottle rockets out of a long pipe just over the heads of people who were collecting donation money for something at the entrance. After like 20-25 shots, here comes a police bicycle to my front door. I knew exactly who it was and in my best Barney Gumble voice, I open the front door and the conversation went something like,

"Good evening Officer Davis"
"Jesus Christ, Kirk. Uh, what's going on over here? They said someone is shooting bottlerockets in their general direction."
"Hmm...odd."
At that point we all moved outside and I squeezed his brake handle and pushed down on the fork and said, "cop brakes...cop shocks."

He laughed and we shot the poo poo for awhile before he told us that if we were the people shooting fireworks at the people collecting money at the school where I teach, we should probably stop.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was at my friend's house out in the county..... well I guess I was too. But he had a bit of land and 4 of us brought some guns and maybe tannerite out there (i think that was a different time. This must have been like 2001-2002. We were blasting away for a little while and the sheriff's dept showed up and just told us to cut it out. We got pictures of them with us and they were like "Just don't put it up on the internet" or something. Well we did.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was at my friend's house out in the county..... well I guess I was too. But he had a bit of land and 4 of us brought some guns and maybe tannerite out there (i think that was a different time. This must have been like 2001-2002. We were blasting away for a little while and the sheriff's dept showed up and just told us to cut it out. We got pictures of them with us and they were like "Just don't put it up on the internet" or something. Well we did.

not here you didn't

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I was once had some cops surrounded me at night with their hands on their holsters and accuse me of breaking into a building and stealing equipment. I didn’t want to go all sovereign citizen so I just let them search my bag, which only had books in it, then they let me go. I was confused as gently caress the entire time but at least they didn’t murder me.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've had about 5 cop encounters over my life. Mostly traffic stops. They were all super dicks who pulled me over for bullshit reasons hoping to get free points for being dicks.

One time I got a ticket for going 5 over in a 50 MPH straight road that was not residential.

I had to go to "traffic court" where the judge was a complete twat. They never said there was a dress code but the people who showed up in flip flops or shorts were told to come back next month (ughh) for "not paying respect to the court".

I was white and wearing jeans and a polo so I got a 50 dollar fine from the local AG and was sent on my way... The judge was such a dick to everyone.

I called the cops once, when I lived with my parents, when I was outside drinking a beer in college, and saw a car slam into a parked vehicle on the street 3 houses down from mine.

They never showed up. The car was able to do a runner and that was the end. The car came back like 2 hours later and asked me if I had seen any police and I was like "no, but i did call them" it was a couple of college kids who were drunk out of there mind and definitely live in the area.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

I was once had some cops surrounded me at night with their hands on the holsters and accuse me of breaking into a building and stealing equipment. I didn’t want to go all sovereign citizen so I just let them search my bag, which only had books in it, then they let me go. I was confused as gently caress the entire time but at least they didn’t murder me.

what books did you have?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
they didn't shoot me yet I guess

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what books did you have?

Just some textbooks.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

Just some textbooks.

Boring!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The only thing modern cops care about is preparing for the day when they'll finally be allowed to cleanse society of the evils that have corrupted it: Liberals and minorities, for this is what God wants.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Yaldabaoth posted:

The only thing modern cops care about is preparing for the day when they'll finally be allowed to cleanse society of the evils that have corrupted it: Liberals and minorities, for this is what God wants.

:hmmyes:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

police, can't live with 'em (they'll kill ya) can't live without 'em (they'll kill ya)

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've had a few run ins with the police. It actually worked out nicely each time. They were very nice to me (white). But they almost always took me to a mental hospital. I've gotten out of at least a ticket before for being a firefighter. I was also apparently not driving so well after a few drinks and someone reported me but I pulled into a gas station because I wanted nachos. The city police confronted me in the parking lot. But a sheriff pulled up and was like "yeah we know him, just let him call his mom to pick him up." So I got out of that. I've gotten I think two speeding tickets before.

gently caress you drunk driver

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ziv Zulander posted:

Yeah it was bad. Like 10 years ago. I do a lot of planning for having to transport myself while intoxicated now.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ziv Zulander posted:

I'm a drunk driver too Ziv. It's why I spent 90 days in jail.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm in WI and the drunk driving laws here are absolutely insane. Yeah you've heard we're all alcoholics, well, yeah probably. At least big drinkers. And I've heard of people (in the news) having like 7 DUIs.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtUnmG5WP78

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was on jury for attempted murder case and learning how bad cops hosed up investigation due to laziness was an experience lmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you ever have a knife fight with someone by a functional and plainly visible security camera don't expect anyone to even try to get the recording for a year lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you ever have a knife fight with someone by a functional and plainly visible security camera don't expect anyone to even try to get the recording for a year lmao

well, that is just good advice

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was jumped by about ten guys when I was 15. I was bicycling home from school, turned the last corner and could literally see my parents' house past this group of guys in the road, so I figured I'd ride right past them. Next thing I know, I'm being dragged up onto the sidewalk, hit in the face and kicked in the ribs. They ripped my backpack and shirt wide open, took my wallet, cellphone, and watch. One of them pulled a big knife, maybe a machete, out of his bag and said (in kind of a laughing tone) "if you call the cops we'll come back and kill you," or something to that effect. I didn't think people actually said that kind of stuff, but he did.

Like I said, I could see my house, so I walked to it. My neighbour happened to be outside in his daishiki, tending to his garden. As an aside, this is a guy who did several years in US Federal prison for trafficking marijuana, and literally wrote a very successful book about it when he got out. He was a very nice guy. He saw me stumbling around with my shirt ripped open and asked what was wrong. I said "I think I just got mugged?" and he said "well go inside and call the cops." So I did.

At the time I didn't know it but my street was the dividing line between two police divisions, so within a minute or two there were sirens coming from all directions. The first officer to respond was a woman; she pulled up fast and asked if I needed an ambulance. "No, I don't think so, just bruises." She goes "OK, get in, we're gonna find these guys." I was taken aback by that, but I obliged and sat in her passenger seat while she flew up the street, sirens blazing, zig-zagging up and down residential streets and slowing down past local schools and groups of teenagers.

Eventually the call on the radio came that they'd found a group matching their description. These idiots were waiting for a streetcar, at the terminus of the streetcar line, not even two blocks away. Two undercover units had pulled up on them and had them all at gunpoint against a fence. We drove past and she asked me if I could ID them. I saw my bike, it was the right guys. Went to the station, gave a video statement and barely heard anything about it again, except while I was sitting in the station lobby waiting for my bicycle, one of them was released and walked right past me out the front door.

I was already on a bit of a pipeline to becoming a CHUD around this time; the friends I most hung out with were all budding gun nuts and in the early days of the internet, 4chan and that, we were pretty reactionary dumbasses (a few of us still are). So this was one of those incidents that made 15-year-old me think "maybe I should become a cop." I've long since done a 180, shaped by other much more negative experiences with cops, and also, you know, reading the news. I largely look back on my proto-CHUD days with embarrassment, but they definitely helped shape me into who I am.

Get at me if you want to hear about the negative ones, like
- My experience at the G20, largely the catalyst for becoming a leftist again (honestly there isn't much to this, I was fine I just saw some poo poo)
- The one who pulled me over on the motorcycle for speeding, and added an extra 'obstruct plate' charge, almost definitely because I was wearing an antifa patch on my backpack
- Actually this one isn't negative but a roommate and I got mugged again in college, also mere feet from our house. We were the talk of the school for the next day or two, and the detective who showed up to our college-boy house looked cool as gently caress
- The time a cop said he'd shoot me a bunch of times if I thought about spitting on his car

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 18, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Colonel Cancer posted:

One thing I've heard about knife fights is..... one person dies there, the other dies in the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I occasionally cut myself at work. and that poo poo sucks.