Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these are bad (mutliple choice)
This poll is closed.
surface 7 3.45%
surface 2 8 3.94%
surface 3 8 3.94%
surface go 8 3.94%
surface go 2 8 3.94%
surface go 3 8 3.94%
surface pro 8 3.94%
surface pro 2 10 4.93%
surface pro 3 8 3.94%
surface pro 4 8 3.94%
surface pro (2017) 8 3.94%
surface pro 6 9 4.43%
surface pro 7 8 3.94%
surface pro 7+ 8 3.94%
surface pro 8 8 3.94%
surface pro X 8 3.94%
surface book 8 3.94%
surface book 2 9 4.43%
surface book 3 8 3.94%
surface laptop 8 3.94%
surface laptop 2 8 3.94%
surface laptop 3 8 3.94%
surface laptop 4 8 3.94%
surface studio 8 3.94%
surface studio 2 8 3.94%
Total: 12 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

always lol at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Touch is the optimal input paradigm in a very, very narrow set of situations. The sooner Microsoft figures that out, the sooner they might actually be able to make software that doesn't suck again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Touch is the optimal input paradigm in a very, very narrow set of situations. The sooner Microsoft figures that out, the sooner they might actually be able to make software that doesn't suck again.

that's not possible. nobody makes good software any more. everything's getting worse honk honk :^)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A friend of mine was very happy with his Surface Pro, one of the earlier gens. It seemed fine for what it was.

It's pretty nice to have touch even on Windows sometimes but I think the slate form factor is a very niche thing. I bought my mom a Chinese knockoff since she does online math tutoring and it's perfect for her to draw diagrams and formulas on the whiteboard for example. But another friend uses an ipad pro for navigation when flying and it's good for that. He also uses it as a travel computer and for that he has to use a separate keyboard and a nice chonky case (because the apple keyboard is :homebrew:) and it ends up being more awkward and weighing more than my X1.

The Yoga is imo a superior form factor for most people. You can use it as a perfectly normal computer 90% of the time, and if you're watching a movie in the airplane you can use the tent mode, or fold it completely to read a book or something.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
remember when microsoft paid the NFL $400 million to be the exclusive tablet partner and announcers kept calling them "ipad like devices"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

puck yeah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i played with the original surface prototype that was a giant table you could touch and move poo poo around on at CES.

i got it to crash by trying to resize multiple videos at once while playing using my hands and elbows and then asked if it ran linux

i was asked to leave the microsoft display

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Good job, you really showed 'em!

The Surface Go line always seemed like a terrible value, the tablet as well as the new laptop. From the Ars review:

quote:

Behave as though the actual starting price is $700, the amount it costs to get the configuration with 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. This is still closer to "budget" than "high-end" as ultrabooks go, but the list of omissions, shortcomings, and odd decisions does get harder to overlook as you spend more money. The generation-old processor. The un-backlit keyboard. The tiny port selection. A touchscreen that is neither particularly high-resolution nor very colorful. A 128GB SSD that will feel cramped for many people, and a 256GB option that (1) isn't all that much bigger and (2) adds another $100 to the price.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/07/review-microsofts-surface-laptop-go-2-has-a-lot-of-problems-but-i-like-it-anyway/

For $400, I recently bought a Chuwi Minibook X.
  • 12GB of RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Backlit keyboard (though I don't care, it's for losers)
  • 2560*1600, 100% sRGB screen, 360 degree hinge
  • Touch and digitizer input (the latter is a bit crappy though)

The Chuwi has some dumb poo poo too like the hole-punch camera, but, well, it's $400 lol.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i played with the original surface prototype that was a giant table you could touch and move poo poo around on at CES.

i got it to crash by trying to resize multiple videos at once while playing using my hands and elbows and then asked if it ran linux

i was asked to leave the microsoft display

another day volunteering at the ces microsoft booth. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the surface.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nvrgrls posted:

another day volunteering at the ces microsoft booth. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the surface.

You can gently caress the surface. The surface of my dick!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

You can gently caress the surface. The surface of my dick!!

golden joke

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't think I've ever used a surface. I really liked the ratty little cheapshit windows 8 atom tablets when they were around, though they were $150 and I set my expectations accordingly. $1000 for the same thing with an i5 in it doesn't sound like a good time.

the fabric-covered laptops were a pretty funny idea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is after just 1 intense gaming/masturbation session

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Hi, I bought my Surface laptop 2 in July 2019, my carpet has been dirty since then, could anyone please help me with this in detail and step by step

Thank you very much, I am attaching a photo of how it looks like

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/cleaning-the-surface-laptop-2-alcantara-carpet/6011773d-418d-4222-b4d4-221c4dbfaace

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

suck my surface, the surface of my greasy alcantara laptop!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i love a dirty carpet :pervert:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you must have indoor pets as well

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think I've ever used a surface. I really liked the ratty little cheapshit windows 8 atom tablets when they were around, though they were $150 and I set my expectations accordingly. $1000 for the same thing with an i5 in it doesn't sound like a good time.

I unironically loved the netbook fad.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I almost bought a netbook on the weekend. but I decided to spend the money on clothes instead

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nvrgrls posted:

Me too! Which is why I'm re-living it now with the Minibook X.

Back then I was waiting for exactly the right one, with a decent screen and keyboard. As a result I almost bought the HP Mini one but don't remember why I didn't get it, I guess the fad was over at that point.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I almost bought a netbook on the weekend. but I decided to spend the money on clothes instead

Boo!

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
big diff b/w furface tablet and the surface laptop. work gave me a surface 2 tablet, surface 3 laptop, and now a surface 4 laptop.

the carpet was a mistake. the 4 laptop is pretty nice, but touch is useless if you can’t do a full 360 with the screen. I even got the surface pen but it’s super awk to use it on a normal laptop screen.

other than that the laptop is needs suiting?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i have an older surface that a job let me keep and, while it works, it has cooling problems that make the wifi controller flake out hard until a reboot lol

at least for a little while it was useful as a plex host while wired up to external storage. now it's what i use if i want to play old dos games on a relatively low-power device.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I have a plywood surface at work to support my desktop computer peripherals, its very needs suiting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a desk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a desk

Does it support multi-touch?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

typically that’s how desks work yes

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have a surface book 2 and it used to be quite good back when CPU and GPU performance was stagnant

it's still okay now and looks good, but they didn't really keep up with performance once the pace of development sped up a bit

it's still good as a non-gaming laptop and can be enjoyable to use as a tablet

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

didnt know about the minibook. can you run linux on it and not have it be a clownshow?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Tankakern posted:

didnt know about the minibook. can you run linux on it and not have it be a clownshow?

this is an oxymoron

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

shoo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tankakern posted:

of course not; its linux

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

I haven't tried it before because I'm not a CJ but just for you, I got it to boot into the latest Kali linux version. Wifi, sound, touchscreen and stylus all work. For certain definitions of "work", at least, it recognizes touch and stylus movement but only as a mouse cursor, so I can't for example scroll a browser window with it. Also the screen is rotated 90 degrees since it's from a tablet, but I'm sure you could rotate it by recompiling the kernel.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't tried it before because I'm not a CJ but just for you, I got it to boot into the latest Kali linux version. Wifi, sound, touchscreen and stylus all work. For certain definitions of "work", at least, it recognizes touch and stylus movement but only as a mouse cursor, so I can't for example scroll a browser window with it. Also the screen is rotated 90 degrees since it's from a tablet, but I'm sure you could rotate it by recompiling the kernel.

lol @ kali linux

thanks for checking!

i had to rotate the screen myself when i had a ghd pocket, but fedora got built-in support for it pretty quick

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

lol @ kali linux

thanks for checking!

i had to rotate the screen myself when i had a ghd pocket, but fedora got built-in support for it pretty quick
Well yeah I pretending to be Johnny Mnemonic is the only reason to use linux for me.

BTW before you decide to get it, another goon apparently bought or used one at least and wasn't so happy:

Xander77 posted:

I feel like this is pretty garbage.

Overheats instantly and intensely, depletes its battery within an hour or two (just browsing online and editing documents), terrible keyboard layout (possibly an issue of getting used to it), the touch screen is apparently intended to be used with a stylus and only responds to your touch when you're typing on the keyboard and don't want to use the touchscreen.

No actual mouse \ usb connection, bluetooth \ stylus only.

Also, I have no idea how to get it to recognize a PC it's connected to via cable to transfer files, but that might be just me.

I haven't had any serious issues with mine and it lasts more than an hour but YMMV. I think as long as you keep in mind that it's a modern netbook, it's fine. poo poo, it costs less than the EEE PC 900 did.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Interesting but not $500 interesting for me anyway.

quote:

Back then I was waiting for exactly the right one, with a decent screen and keyboard. As a result I almost bought the HP Mini one but don't remember why I didn't get it, I guess the fad was over at that point.

it was probably that the touchpads were all literally unusuable iirc

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

no idea what kind of surface this is but I like the message

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nvrgrls posted:

Interesting but not $500 interesting for me anyway.

it was probably that the touchpads were all literally unusuable iirc
It's occasionally on sale for about $400 which is when I got it: https://www.banggood.com/Camera-Hol...ur_warehouse=HK, there are also coupon. But yeah it's not quite impulse purchase.

The touchpad might be it, didn't they also have the buttons in the left/right sides?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Clark Nova posted:

i don't use it for anything anymore, but the dell one i have still has a decent screen and it's a bit taller than an ipad mini and thinner than amazon fire tablets

just bafflingly fine hardware for the price, shame about the win 8 i had to wipe a half dozen times to fix regular broken updates. win 10 (free as it is) has never had a problem

nvrgrls posted:

ditto. i stuck my venue 8 pro into an ipad mini keyboard case and it was so close in size. if it had a trackpad it'd have been perfect

i guess i still have a picture of when i tried it for the first time lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

someone just posted this on hn

https://www.microcenter.com/product/649971/evolve-iii-maestro-e-book-116-laptop-computer-dark-grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i was at microcenter the other day and they have them out front labeled as “laptops for education” in a bin by the checkout