Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Conspiratiorist posted:

Have you considered such generalizations are insulting to the people serious about effecting change from the inside??

People serious about effecting change would be raising merry hell until what deadtear posted gets done and should prob also be pushing for people yelling about cancel culture to follow Dear Leader out of the airlock. Can't say that seems to be happening but go ahead and prove me wrong?

Mederlock posted:

Anyways, I'm just asking you to not tar Amok with the same brush that you're painting the rest of the alliance with, because we're not like that, but that's just my take as a regular ole line member.
The way for Amok not to be tarred with the same brush is to either take over so the island of good is the majority of the org, or leave and no longer be associated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

feedmegin posted:

Not to defend Imperium dudes but...how? Same with the people who complain the directorate won't make heads roll. What concrete action do you think a director can take here, go round Mittani's house with a baseball bat? This isnt real life. There isn't actually a way of doing a Death of Stalin style housecleaning.

Hey I'm just giving the options, figuring out how practical they are is an exercise for the reader.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

feedmegin posted:

I used to be GSRecon director. I had zero power to do either of those things. Again what do you think a director is exactly? Mostly it's just access to a particular Jabber channel. Random directors don't get to kick and ban whoever they like let alone rebrand the alliance.

Generally what a director is is someone doing a key job, and what someone doing a key job can do for leverage is threaten to quit if poo poo isn't done.

Further, what alliances within the Imperium can do is demand change or they will leave. If the people who can press the buttons don't want to do it, you have to hold something over them to force them to do it, and what most large alliances have as their bargaining tool is the participation of hundreds of players. Use it, or sit meekly in a pile of polite requests while wondering why the rest of Eve including your former friends think you stink of poo poo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

General_Disturbed posted:

Staying in Goonswarm at this point is just, you're there to press F1. Nothing more. That's all you exist to do and be.
Hey now, they also get to be known to the wider community as apologists for a pedo defender.

And if any of you reading this are about to write an indignant post about how you definity don't endorse any of that: you loving do! Your continued presence is the endorsement! Please activate your probe launcher and scan down a loving clue!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
make me CEO and I pledge I will take GF back to the glory days of Nate Hammertown

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The whole "nobody will stay banned who wouldn't be banned before" is bullshit that does not recognise what a protest action is, and that the whole point of it is to be disruptive to draw attention to the issue.

This is like overthrowing a tyrant by storming the presidential palace, but all the people that broke down the door stay in jail under the new regime because "that's property damage you know"

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Please keep posting all of TheAdj's 'we are doing something' posts, especially the ones where the 'doing something' is trying very hard to pin the problem on the association with SA and not years of his own personal endorsement of a pedo enabler.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
hey bbtb did you just forget that Untitled Goose Game was a thing or what

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The corp was created by Americans and while I didn't encounter any screaming racist behaviour 15 years ago as a member I'm p sure it was exactly picked as a "lol look how we use the words we can't say" edgy name, so maybe it's time to stop all this weird equivocation.

e: it's the focus of attention because what do you want us to say? "oh jeez this story I have no details of at all is definitely our fault somehow, let us commence the self-flagellation forthwith"?

e2: edited bc I said there was no racism around the corp back then but there almost definitely was so not gonna stand by that statement even a little bit

Vando fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 26, 2022

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Mekchu posted:

then there you go, mystery solved. if only effort was put towards requesting ccp change it because of the problematic word insted.

It has been petitioned before but I think dismissed as a sour internet grapes thing, probably worth another shot now though after everything.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
When I say "no details" I mean like that it was anything to do with anyone posting here. I don't think we need to know exactly what happened to the victim to know it's obviously hosed up.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Endie posted:

I cannot remember the last time I read someone use "niggardly" outside of a discussion about Eve edge-lordism and it makes me kinda uncomfortable even to type. Of the three, it's the only archaism and for a variety of good reasons, and comes with a warning in some dictionaries.
Yeah the only time I've seen it is when people are trying to be Very Clever Edgelords and sometimes they will also turn themselves inside out to find a way to slightly modify the spelling and oh wait, look where we are now!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

meatmccartney posted:

That's some stuff floating in space....probably some of your stuff...

Oh it's all of my stuff, apart from a carrier and a dread somewhere around Saranen

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Trying to draw parallels with what happened with Lowtax is, if you're a Mittani apologist, really fuckin stupid. It was pretty much the textbook 'how to sever the poisoned head of an organisation' approach and is the one we all wish GSF were copying.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm pretty sure that almost nobody here is calling the rest of the org pedo enablers. Mittens was the enabler, people in leadership who fail to ensure a clean break with his legacy are pedo enabler apologists, line members are at worst selfish 'I see nothing' head in the sand types.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just ban the dipshits trying to repurpose actual social justice issues to make their pretend internet spaceship org's whitewash more bulletproof, bing bong problem solved.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Do you not know how to read the words "at minimum" and "at worst" or...?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Zakrello posted:

you can do what you wanted, at the same time I will just do what I want. you guys can call out entire GSF and label them whatever you wanted, but that doesn't make it the truth, full loving stop.

lmao

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I removed the projection from your post, but to your good point I wouldn't be here if this thread wasn't oozing from the infectious self-inflicted wounds of hypocritical disfranchising trends by the 10 active posters in here (yeah - the ones who haven't ever really played with the Goons that claim former affiliation with) against a literal community of 1000s of real people.

Hey genius, just because thousands of people are happy to ignore problems doesn't make their community magically good.

The reason people are not satisfied that GSF is salvageable isn't because of 'playing the game less', it's because the policies of the last month do not instil faith that the organisation will be a good place to be in the future. If it takes the likes of Delta Squad losing their poo poo publicly for anything to be done about The Mittani, what will it take for something to be done next time? Will the people who speak up then also get banned? Will people avoid speaking up at all because hey, I don't want to get airlocked, better to just keep my head down and let the <insert bigot of choice here> do the boring space job while I avoid them?

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions taken so far all point to 'we would prefer whistleblowers just be quiet thanks'. There sure are a lot of words about how the actions definitely don't mean that though!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vilgan posted:

Vengefully kicking isn't the right thing to do imo. Not only would it rub a lot of people the wrong way, but you risk him getting motivated and starting his own thing which could fracture the Imperium. Let him drift away in inactivity and let Asher start making Goons 3.0.

Stop thinking that "avoiding fracturing the Imperium" is essential! Ideally you would try not to, but if there are truly *that many* Mittens diehards that this is a risk, you are going to have to fracture the Imperium to get rid of them, they're not going to change their attitude just by ignoring them and hoping it goes away.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I mean, it's pretty easy. In Asher's first meeting with all of the alliance corp directors and sub-directors he should simply say "in seven days I'm kicking Mittani from this alliance, banning him from services and blacklisting him. If any of you or your members have an issue with that, you know where the door is. Oh and anyone that wailed and gnashed about a cancel culture woke mob has seven days to get out as well"

Yeah, in fact it's even more weird this isn't happening when 'strong arm tactics to quell unrest' is the reasoning behind no mercy for Delta. It just makes it look like certain things are always going to be accepted (whether that's because of direct agreement or because keeping the supply of F1ing bodies is seen as more important is irrelevant) and that bringing it up is the real problem.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everyone on the GSF side seems to be (wilfully?) avoiding the fact that the reason you need a Mittani ban is because it's a *lot* easier to PR spin a "return from self-imposed exile" narrative down the line than it is to have to explain why the guy who was banned is suddenly accepted again.

It's more than symbolic, it does provide at least some level of barrier to re-entry, and if you think that inactivity purging him will have the same effect you're a loving idiot, sorry.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
There does seem to be something going around GSF where people can blatantly cross about five lines at once but if they say they definitely won't do it again it's all good, carry on. Airlock these dipshits, what are you playing at?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Anyways, guilds like this really show the bad side of MMOs which is basically exploiting depressed people or others who are looking for social connections into doing stuff like fueling POS towers for years and cutting them off from society in general. Probably more of a Eve Online problem than a Goonfleet specific one, but GSF certainly made squeezing people into being perma-online more efficient than all the other big groups.

This. I don't really expect it to change because its what makes the whole thing work, the reason I keep pushing "this is what actually needs to change if you want things to have a chance to end up good" is for the benefit of the people who see themselves as good people who keep stopping by this thread to talk about how things will definitely be getting better soon.

If you are staying with GSF or other Imperium entities on the promise of things being better, you need to understand what "being better" looks like. You also need to understand that people who won't take your word for it without demonstrations of those things are not going to be swayed by your plaintive goodpersonposting. Please go away and enjoy your cognitive dissonance somewhere else.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's not about having power in this instance, it's about being present at all. How is that still not understood?

You guys are being really obtuse about this and it doesn't fool anyone, you can't keep shuffling deckchairs about this stuff and expect it to be taken seriously.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Saying "GSF is superior in every way" while there are still question marks about its attitude to things like transphobia and misogyny is kinda proving everyone's point btw

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't think he's trolling in the sense he's saying things he doesn't think are true, yes he's obviously intentionally saying things people won't like but he's giving his honest opinion.

If I was a GSF person thinking things could be reformed I'd be pretty pissed because he's demonstrating the exact opposite.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Once again: saying "it's just X" is pretty much the entire problem and it doesn't reflect well on you

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Rust Martialis posted:

You fell for globby trolling.

You really need to grasp the idea that whether it's trolling or 100% genuine doesn't matter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The guy who supposedly posted the announcement both said it was fake and that it was not accurate to his views, and really without any other evidence I see no reason not to believe him.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The point of not punishing people for speaking up is so that people don't avoid speaking up because they think they will be punished.

It's not for the benefit of people who have left, it's for the benefit of people who remain.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nothing remains but the husk of a fat bee at the centre of a golden throne

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Keep on tweaking the story until you think it will work on us, I reckon there's a bit more work left to go still though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I dunno, for me it's just "okay, poo poo's hosed; :sever: -- turn my back on it and move on." I think my response to everything is being deadened by having already dissociated with GSF years ago. Or maybe from always keeping an arm's length from everything, no matter how deep I got.

Some of us have this brain problem where we see an org of thousands of people that is still riddled with red flag people and, while we're not in it, we'd still kinda like the poo poo we've seen happen not happen to anyone else.