Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I'm super-tempted to give wormholes another shot. The last time I did was when they first came out and I didn't last a week :v: I'm hoping that all of the new stuff added to the game since then makes them a bit more tolerable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Jesus this garbage game is $20/account/mo now?!?!

They ran a limited-time discount during the changeover if you had multiple accounts: Each extra account gets to sub for $15 :v:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i've been learning some new moderation tricks and i'ma just blank all the posts pointing this out and then ban everyone who mentions it

no doubt this will effectively silence criticism and not create a massive backlash

mods!? MODS?!?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

spazzhole posted:

The person to kick Mittens out of corp should be the new GoonWaffe CEO tbh, as their very first act

lookin' forward to the next version of

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

aioli is just mayo posted:

Edit: actually isn’t echoes the mobile client because never mind I’m just an old man yelling at the clouds

Eve Echoes is a mobile game, but it's a whole separate game from Eve Online. It came out in 2020 and the first two weeks after launch had a speedrun of a full Goonswarm rise-and-collapse before Goosefleet rose from the ashes.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

it was good harmless fun at first, but it got so overused (not just there, but everywhere for a while) it's now in the category of "the cake is a lie" in my brain.

I don't have the same association with "honk", but I went to a Huge Nerd College when Portal came out so I get this feeling.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Good Dumplings posted:

this one's good, but not for the reason he meant

faaart posted:

[1:37 PM] globby: Imagine where we'd be if we didnt lose our poo poo over nothing at [lovely Goonswarm Echoes CEO]

lmao is this referencing the GoonSwarm Empire Night Commander that said "if you don't like how i'm running things, there's the door" in discord, which resulted in literally everyone leaving as soon as the sentence finished

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

BigD7976 posted:

I'm not saying whoever made that donation is going to regret it, but, they're going to regret it. This whole thing reeks of a scheme to collect cash.

i mean we're in a hole and we're setup w/ web services so it's going pretty great so far.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

it belongs in a museum

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Besides, if the dude waddles back into the fold somehow, he can just be 86'd immediately and life goes on.

it would be poetic if he tries to kramer his way back in and scores one of these in an EVE-theme

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i don't even know what you guys want any more, to be honest

from where i'm sitting it looks like a bunch of incoherent screaming

it can't be being unbanned, not a single one of you is ever going to go back of your own volition even if you could

Hi, welcome to the Eve Online thread! :)

There are people asking to be unbanned as a sign of good faith, even if they don't plan on returning. This is a goodwill gesture that a current director has offered to help with! Because the bans occurred due to a now-ex-CEO, reversing these bans would show that the bans applied as retaliation by them were not deserved, and that leadership does not reflect the previous CEO.

I hope this helps clears it up! :)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

the problem with living in wormholes is id rather die than shoot rats. i'll stick to pouncing on people with my lovely astero alone every 2 years

Okay so I thought the same thing because when I first tried wormholing, it was when they first came out. We were living out of a POS shield before I bailed after a few weeks. It sucked a lot of poo poo and the cash wasn't worth the amount of Not Fun there was.

Now, we've got Citadels set up with station services, a map tool that our amazing scanners keep updated with routes and scan sites, and best of all: a permanent route to anywhere in nullsec where we can pop out and ruin someone's day or steal their ratting cash on a whim. Even our new players are getting in on the ESS shenanigans with oversized AB Stabbers.

Wormholes are Fun now, come give 'em another shot.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I don't have time to play this any more so it isn't really a question for me but I figured others may wonder the same:

Is wormspace viable to live in as an alpha clone?

We've been working hard to make it viable! Right now we have scanning ships for Alphas, logistics/tackle, mining/gas huffing/salvagers, and even setups for just loving around in nullsec. You'll still be limited on stuff like PI or most anything requiring a skill at V, but we've got enough corporate skill plans now that you can browse those and see what would work for your alpha character.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

and huffing gas is a whole shitload easier with a porpoise pal offering compression to the entire venture flock. I warped off because my hold was full, someone in fleet chat loled at me and taught me how to right-click farts once I warped back. :honked::yaycloud:

In-space compression is legit one of the best things they've added to this game in the last decade and I'm always happy to roll my porpoise out to help people crush rocks and gas :toot:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

seems like a kind of dangerous thing to do, going afk in a porpoise with everybody's gas in your hold

at least, I wouldn't want to be the guy to waste a significant amount of everybody's time because I walked away from my keyboard to grab a second bowl of curry

The best part is the module isn't just for compression on the porpoise, it lets anyone within ~44k of it compress gas/ore in their own ore holds too. No need for the porpoise to hold everyone else's gas, they can lose it on their own!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

:honk:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

whats are the odds at that this makes it out of beta

Out of beta, and exclusively on Playstation 5.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Solus posted:

I have 100 billion isk how do I use it to be as funny as possible

X-Type Ibis

bonus if any officer mods fit on it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

We talkin' "starting up a posse" here, or is it a whole new group of words chosen by a whole new group of puritans?

what puritan words are you thinking about?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

Help me out here. Someone was posting about "the R word" earlier and I've not no clue what they're taking about.
I'm just trying to figure out how outraged I should be.

they may be referring to this one. ableist slurs are a no no!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

hailthefish posted:

I will helpfully post a list of slurs no longer acceptable on something awful in tyool 2022, list is as follows:

honk
HonK
HONK
hONk
honk
honkey
hONk
honK
h0nk
homnk
hornk
homk
homk
hionk
honk
hnk
honk
HOnnk
Honk
hoonk
honk

dont forget the worst of them all :honk:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Solus posted:

shoot blues hangars

holy poo poo lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

"Ask A Director", the forum for asking the Directorate questions directly (and line members get probed for replying because they're not directors). Generally you get at least one director response before the thread gets closed, but I guess not this time.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

psilocybin laden posted:

please do not quote people on my ignore list thank you

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Sure, the one night I pick to go run errands and I miss out on getting blown up hilarously :negative:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

I think I quit Eve right about when that became a thing. Was it true you could use a dread to bombard hapless FPS players from orbit? That's kinda funny I guess but only if you can send them in-game messages after you nuke them.

It wasn't just dreads iirc, there was a special module a ship could use in-orbit around a planet, and if any DUST players called for an orbital strike then you'd be allowed to activate it. It was a super-simple EVE/DUST integration, but it was still pretty neat.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

The best part of DUST was the dropships. Not for moving people around, but for literally dropping out of the sky onto people like a space-age thwomp.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Zerg Mans posted:

was Dust just PS3 exclusive planetside 2

p. much, also you had to buy enough weapons/mods to respawn with

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

folks what about this one

themadj

theAss

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

ploots posted:

Is there even anyone left at ccp who was around for t20?

Uhhhhh Hilmar? That's all I can think of, everyone else hopped ship.

They've been slowly trying to get devs back into playing the game rather than their blanket ban after T20. I believe they're not allowed to hold positions of leadership in player groups or go "Hey I'm A Dev" but other than those caveats it's at least a good way to get them to dogfood their own changes again.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

There really is no incentive to nullsec rat compared to 15 years ago. Back then rat bounties were higher, and with a solid amount of ratting you could easily afford enough ISK for ships and even game time codes.

Then they reduced the amount of bounties nullsec rats gave and implemented the DBS which could theoretically increase the payouts of rats but requires it be in a system where people are already actively dying. If it's in a safe system the ratting payouts go down.

15 years, and all they've done is reduce the amount of money that nullsec rats give. Their only carrot involves enough people getting blown up in ships in a single system to increase the DBS multiplier, and that only works if people are playing the game. Meanwhile the cost of literally everything in the game has increased - with one month of gametime now over 2 billion ISK. You'd have to shoot at over 1,000 nullsec BS rats to even get close to paying for a month and that is just Pain.

Double the rat bounty payouts, and you'll get people to consider undocking again to get some of that cash. Then you'll get more roaming gangs trying to catch these greedy new ratters, which means more people getting blown up and buying new ships. No one's going to undock and shoot at a literal thousand rats in a month unless they're a masochist.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What is TTT? Asking for ny uninformed lurker friend who never posts.

Tranquility Trading Tower is a keepstar citadel in Perimeter that's co-owned by three alliances: GSF, Horde, and TEST. Everyone gets a split of all the fees the station generates from people buying and selling PLEX/Injectors there.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

i made this as a joke a while back. i am sorry it is coming true.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

40 lbs to freedom posted:

when i got back i found out we had fed a couple cruisers to some people who rolled into our wormhole. we talked about bikes and how to cook pork. 10/10 mmo experience.

I lost a Caracal to three bait Kikimoras and honked as my pod warped away during pork-and-bike-chat, would lose it again :c00lbert:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Or you can ping out "kitchen sink shitstack death roam" and get chased all the way across Querious by the world's worst interceptor in a fleet comp where no two people are flying the same ship.

Don't forget ISK-positive because you happened to pop a 1.2b pod that was in a pacifier with the wrong implants :v:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The Cerberus HAM range increase increase is neat but good lord, switching range to shield boost kills the ship lol

good

but i just got a cerb :negative:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

So glad that Helios decided to save us the time of running 8 Core Garrisons and just gave us the money directly :allears: I have never slammed F1 harder to kill a covops.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

CCP has a long history of being told "If you do X, Y will happen," and when Y happens are surprised it happened - and then proceed to do Z which makes things even worse.

In that specific case, they made Rorquals hoover up a shitload of resources. When they were told "If you do this, we will mine the poo poo out of space and be untouchable" they went ahead and did it. After 5 or so years of Rorquals making every nullsec bloc ungodly rich and untouchable, they decided to balance with an overcorrection by removing most minerals from nullsec - to the point that some regions had no asteroids at all. For that issue they created a brand new beacon in every nullsec system that has a lovely pity asteroid belt.

Also that overcorrection pretty much halted all capital ship production, since they now require more minerals you can't get anywhere but highsec and PI products. A running joke was that some capships were make of 70% water because of how much was needed.

Despite them constantly stepping on their own toes and applying bandaid after bandaid, it's still a fun and unique game that people play in spite of all that.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Hell I've still got a bubble sitting out in Delve somewhere untouched. I hope it's able to live out its full timer :honk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I honestly thought bubbling jump bridges would generate a jabber ping. This will be rectified next time and more jump bridges will get bigger bubbles.