Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
buying rugs where???
walking around in-store
ruggable.com, rugs for the common millennial
other online places
goku's rug
View Results

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

listen before we get started, i'm not here to talk about you wackjobs who have a fully carpeted house. don't even come in here with that nonsense. that's some oldhead poo poo from the dark ages. This thread here is to chat about :

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

Currently, i'm in the market for a new rug and I would like to crowdsource my choice. previously, i've ordered basically all my rugs online besides for my outdoor rug, entryway rug to wipe your feet on, and the bathroom mats

i've tried them all, some good, some not so good. Let's start with the good:

This is my bedroom rug that's under my bed. this is a quality-rear end rug that has been with my for a few years. Not too thin that it moves around easily, but also not too thick that it traps too much dust. This is my favorite rug I own. vacuuming it is easy and it looks nice. i really enjoy the subtle design and it really does tie the entire room together

10/MF'in 10

Now we have my runner rug. Not the most sexy rug. It's kinda wacky and doesn't really match anything in the house, but it's okay because it's nice and fuzzy and feels good on my feet. this one i probably will replace with something a little less fun soon.

it also doesn't vacuum well. i really have to put some muscle into pushing the vacuum over this thing. if you don't lift weights, i would NOT recommend this rug.

6/10

now let's start talking about the rugs that i'm annoyed with. this blue-rear end rug doesn't match a goddamn thing in my house. i regretted the purchase the moment it showed up at my door, but i have lived with it. but i do like the design and it sits in my office under my desk and pull-out bed for guests to sleep on.

so it's a nice professional-looking rug, but there's just one problem with it. it's so FREAKing thick that it traps A LOT of dust. i can vacuum this thing for 30 minutes and still not have all the dust up. i take about 2-3 passes of vacuuming when i go over this.

4/10. overall, i do not recommend the thicker rugs. they feel good, but they require some extra upkeep.

this one loving sucks. it's so thin that when i vacuum it, the vacuum sucks up the rug. it feels like a blanket why would anyone make a rug this thin it makes no sense????? i haven't unrolled it since moving to my new apartment because it sucks so much rear end and i want to buy a new one.

this one was in the living room, but i'm going to get a better one.

also i spilled red wine on it, so it's no good and frankly i'm glad i spilled on it. this rug can hit the bricks.

1/10. don't ever buy a rug so thin it feels like a weighted blanked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE EPILOGUE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now there are some options for buying a new rug:

1. walk around places like ikea, lowes, etc. and settle for something i find there. not ideal, and usually isn't the best selection
2. use ruggable.com. i don't know about this. i'm skeptical that these rugs will be too thin, but i've heard good things. the idea of washing your rug sounds weird.
3. Online shop at places like wayfair and other high-end home stores. This option has been the one i've done mostly in the past, and we can all see how that's turned out.

let's chat about rugs gang. what rugs you got and which ones are the good ones?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't like the rugs
but the rugs like me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
get one to cover some space in front of your couch. Otherwise, no one cares.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

get one to cover some space in front of your couch. Otherwise, no one cares.

someone's got to get you on that rug life, OP

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I want to put our living room rug in the basement to make the basement seem nicer and then get a new rug for the living room that doesn't kick up so much fuzz in the vacuum. We keep an eye on the clearance rugs in home goods hoping for a deal OP.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

teen phone cutie posted:

someone's got to get you on that rug life, OP

the OP made the thread. I think rugs are boring

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Rugs belong on walls, floor is too dirty

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tapestries belong on the walls. Rugs are still boring

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

be wary of rug burns

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

kntfkr posted:

I want to put our living room rug in the basement to make the basement seem nicer and then get a new rug for the living room that doesn't kick up so much fuzz in the vacuum. We keep an eye on the clearance rugs in home goods hoping for a deal OP.

the home goods around me are pretty small and don't have rugs :(

i've never checked out their site tho. maybe i'll take keep an eye on clearance as well

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

now this is some freshmen year talk

numberoneposter posted:

be wary of rug burns

pretty painful OP. i like to steer clear of those

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

be wary of rug burns

if you have them on your rear end or knees you might be being hosed

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really, really like kashmiri rugs.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I really, really like kashmiri rugs.

dang OP that room has a very cohesive theme. and the rug matches well

i don't know if i like busy rugs like that though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

important for the rug to match the drapes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

important for the rug to match the drapes

still brown haired and blue eyed

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You got some ugly rear end rugs op! :chanpop:

(Kinda me the hallway rug tho but like, in a hallway?)

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You got some ugly rear end rugs op! :chanpop:

listen i got them when i moved out on my own and i got what was cheap.

i'm making some more money now so i've been slowly replacing my cheap furniture with better stuff, lay off me

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

i also moved from the east coast (cheap) the the west coast (expensive)

so now I have less square footage but the same amount of rugs, so i kinda just laid them down in the space i have to work with

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

teen phone cutie posted:

dang OP that room has a very cohesive theme. and the rug matches well

i don't know if i like busy rugs like that though

Appreciate! And no problem, I grew up with those rugs and got a major soft spot for 'em.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

#1 buy a Dyson

I'm lying in bed watching X files and eating ice cream so you're not getting pictures but here's where my favorite rugs came from:

a. giant thick wool bedroom rug - muffles noise from downstairs - World Market, nice rear end rugs but pricey like four or three hundred
b. thinner more colorful giant living room rug - prop sale from some Netflix show that was wrapping, $13
c. medium size medium pile office rug - dumped at homeless encampment
d. smaller nice but overpriced rugs for wherever - dumpster dive in office building with a lot of failed startups, estate sales

In summary, if you're rich go to a store. If you're poor, there are many sources of rugs.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Oriental carpets rule

Look good, hide dirt and hair

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i got a ruggable cuz I got 2 dogs and sometimes they track mud or puke and I gotta say I like it a lot.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Flora Finching posted:

b. thinner more colorful giant living room rug - prop sale from some Netflix show that was wrapping, $13

In summary, if you're rich go to a store. If you're poor, there are many sources of rugs.

how the heck do you find prop sales?

Flora Finching posted:

I'm lying in bed watching X files and eating ice cream

also nice. bout to lay down and watch the wire, myself

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i got a ruggable cuz I got 2 dogs and sometimes they track mud or puke and I gotta say I like it a lot.

does it track a lot of dust and fur? are all ruggable rugs the same or is there a good variety? is the cover just a thin layer on over the rug?

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

teen phone cutie posted:

how the heck do you find prop sales?

Don't know where you are but there are lots of sources in the LA area. They just throw brand new stuff away when they're done shooting stuff.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckcJ7U_dQA0

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Okay, old man told me I could take any rug in the house!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Remember that goon with the cool rug? The guy who ate the dog food.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

nice one

super sweet best pal posted:

Remember that goon with the cool rug? The guy who ate the dog food.

i don't know this one OP. got a link?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
been thinking about getting into the rug game

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

teen phone cutie posted:

does it track a lot of dust and fur? are all ruggable rugs the same or is there a good variety? is the cover just a thin layer on over the rug?

nah, the rug is low pile. The pad on top is about as thick as a thick bathmat towel, and below it is a rubber pad. It's woven pretty tight though and doesn't feel or look cheap at all. I haven't had to put it through the wash yet, but I spot cleaned some dog puke and it came out really easy. I'd say they're great for people with messy pets or kids.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

nah, the rug is low pile. The pad on top is about as thick as a thick bathmat towel, and below it is a rubber pad. It's woven pretty tight though and doesn't feel or look cheap at all. I haven't had to put it through the wash yet, but I spot cleaned some dog puke and it came out really easy. I'd say they're great for people with messy pets or kids.

interesting. i wish they had them in stores so i could see in person

Empty Sandwich posted:

been thinking about getting into the rug game

if you got hardwood floors, you gotta OP

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I keep getting ruggable ads, but they are so overpriced, and you can go to Home Goods and get a washable 5x7 rug for like $50 vs $300.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

teen phone cutie posted:

interesting. i wish they had them in stores so i could see in person

if you got hardwood floors, you gotta OP

I gave up on area rugs for the living room when I realized the cat prefers to throw up on them over the wood floors.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teen phone cutie posted:

listen i got them when i moved out on my own and i got what was cheap.

i'm making some more money now so i've been slowly replacing my cheap furniture with better stuff, lay off me

I have zero rugs. Well I have a xmas rug, and door mats, but that’s as far as I’m willing to take it. :colbert:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I have zero rugs. Well I have a xmas rug, and door mats, but that’s as far as I’m willing to take it. :colbert:

you break out the xmas rug at xmas time at least?

that's that good poo poo

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i want a wool rug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I have zero rugs, but I do watch those professional rug washing videos when youtube decides I need to see them.

Ruggable looks like bullshit. Their most popular rugs are pre-faded/worn. That's like stolen valor of the rug world. This Beetlejuice rug is kinda cool though I guess.