Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just don’t go outside or look up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Dawg if the Nope alien is real I am straight up killing myself

why? we'd exterminate them overnight

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jean jacket jacket

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

if someone deep-fried Jean Jacket, would you eat it?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

CODChimera posted:

why? we'd exterminate them overnight

Nope.

They'd get domesticated into painting roofs and sky scrapers.

e: "Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is being sucked through Jean Jacket's rear end."

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 16, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jupe could have killed Jean Jacket at any time by just strapping a bunch of explosives to a horse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
NOPES: Just Another Bug Hunt

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Neigh: A Nope Story

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jean Jacket Vs. Jason

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Anyway Universal's Horror Nights have started up and it's dope as hell to actually walk through Jupiter's Claim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They need to find a way to make a Jean jacket drone to fly over

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Dawg if the Nope alien is real I am straight up killing myself

i'm gonna be friends with it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

They need to find a way to make a Jean jacket drone to fly over

that would be incredible, everyone staring up at it :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gann Jerrod posted:

Anyway Universal's Horror Nights have started up and it's dope as hell to actually walk through Jupiter's Claim.

The slightly off in the distance screams from the roller coasters must add immensely to the vibe.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

The slightly off in the distance screams from the roller coasters must add immensely to the vibe.

I work not too far from a Six Flags and when it opened back up for the summer I could hear screams on the wind when I was out back. It sounded exactly like Jean Jacket.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I work not too far from a Six Flags and when it opened back up for the summer I could hear screams on the wind when I was out back. It sounded exactly like Jean Jacket.

During the early parts of the film, that's what I assumed those sounds actually were.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Jupe could have killed Jean Jacket at any time by just strapping a bunch of explosives to a horse.

Rednecks booby trapping equines only to watch them pop sky monsters is a funny mental image.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Safety Factor posted:

IIRC they got the screams by instructing the actors to scream like they were on a roller coaster, and then like they were in terror, and overlaid them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Star lasso experience only at universal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQaOf2oHFs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nope
nope nope nope

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Nope
nope nope nope

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

just saw this and really enjoyed it! maybe my fav movie ive seen this year so far
sadly i dont think they ever released the science paper on JJ they said they were making cause I really wanna read it

i reckon it makes the most sense if JJ is native to earth but the whole jupiter's claim thing does point to it being an alien, since jupiter is one of the planets people popularly theorise where aerial aliens could exist in the atmospheric clouds. at the very least its an obvious intentional nod to it.
i know peele has supposedly said that NOPE stands for Not of Planet Earth but imo that could be misdirection like, Not of Planet Earth? Nope.
its cool to imagine that JJ critters could be the impetus for legends of angels and dragons, who you can sacrifice to and must bow your head from. i spose they could have still come from space just a long time ago.

I was thinking, if UFOs did turn out to be a terrestrial animal like this, that would actually severely disappoint many UFO fans. Since the whole idea of UFOs is that theres a whole other alien order out there that will either change the world for better or worse or take you to some transdimensional party after your death, its about an escape from the mundane life and reality that people are unsatisfied or depressed with.
Angel nods towards this with his lovely job and excited theories about alien civilisations and world killers.

if JJ turned out to be real it wouldnt actually change anything about the world. if you wanna get fancy about it, OJ and Em are killing the spectacle of JJ by capturing it on camera, it'll become mundane rather than mystical within a week of discovery. its just a big jellyfish that lives in the clouds

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before probably itt that Jean Jacket is actually a throwback as UFO stories go, Skyfish being one of the early types of UFO sightings in the early days of aviation and photography where there were theories of unknown aeronautical ecosystems, mostly based on visual anomalies in photos that just turned out to be bugs flying faster than early cameras could reliably capture. There were a few short stories on that topic, Arthur Conan Doyle even wrote one.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
thinking about nope again. probably still the movie of the decade so far for me. been thinking lately on this film with regards to its modern western thematics after kotfm, the curse, and on a more cursed level pharrell's lv fw24

one aspect of it that keeps turning in my head is that the winking well is honestly an art object thats worthy of going in the moma. just a perfect magical object. you put money in and crank a lever, and the bottom of the well takes your picture. a set up that makes sense only in the cinematic tradition of the trunk shot, inviting the subjects to participate in the costume of western americana, wild men, ambitious and hard. it casts the subject as participants in a meta depiction of exploitation. an inverted tower, the camera at the bottom of the well is the logical foil to the all seeing eye on the back of money (little green men)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

yesterday I learned about the Kentucky Meat Shower

:thunk:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it really is a movie that sticks with you. sometimes clouds just look weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The tone and rules set out by the movie affected me in a way that few movies have before and stuck with me. I believe that I already mentioned in a previous post that I had to pause while watching to take my dog out and I hesitated without thinking and looked at the sky before I went out.