Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jupe mentions that there were multiple chimpanzees playing Gordy, but during the attack the actor playing the father is yelling at "Gordy" in a wrong-headed attempt to shout him down. It might just be an oversight to keep the script simple but I prefer to think that he didn't even remember the actual name of the chimp he was working with, which carries onto everyone making a spectacle out of it

And yeah, Jupe talking about how big the show was doesn't exactly sound like something that should be taken at face value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What we see of Jupe's child acting isn't particularly great, either. While you can't blame him for making a big deal out of what was a huge part of his life even before the tragedy, he's definitely gotten mixed up with the infamy the show has from it and any actual popularity it had. Though he is self-aware enough to have some disgust for the people who treat his museum as tragedy tourism, even though he takes their money.

The mention of The Scorpion King also comes to mind with how much of these spectacles that blood, sweat and tears go into end up as mediocre, disposable and easily forgotten dreck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I suddenly realise the quiet punchline of how The Star Lasso Experience goes so badly wrong, that you can accurately describe it as Jean Jacket eating literally everyone present except for the horse it was meant to.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suddenly realise the quiet punchline of how The Star Lasso Experience goes so badly wrong, that you can accurately describe it as Jean Jacket eating literally everyone present except for the horse it was meant to.
Jupe's survival of Gordy also foreshadows Lucky's death. Jupe's hiding place under the table is meant to invoke a cage, just like the one Lucky survives in.

Also, holy poo poo... I rewatched the Gordy scene just now and it's insane that the thing is barely over a minute and a half for the entire flashback. I feel like in the theater, time stopped for that sequence.

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

Just thought I’d post my Halloween costume this year.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MisterFister posted:

:discourse:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MisterFister posted:

I hope you offered everyone at the party fist-bumps

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope you offered everyone at the party fist-bumps

Yup haha

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I finally got tired of waiting for Nope to show up on any streaming platform, and rented it from Amazon last night. Only $6? Sure. That's like a third of what I'd pay for one seat at the theater, and we were never given that option because it blew through the theater near us in record time. So I rented it, and I was so impressed! I might actually rate it as better than Get Out, but Get Out is so good, it's probably more of a tie.

I'm so glad that none of the trailers gave away that while this was a horror movie, it was also a movie about aliens . I was thinking it might have been about a UFO, given how everyone is pointedly looking at the sky in the trailers, but not knowing what I was in for made the reveal that much better! I also liked the further reveal that the UFO wasn't a ship, it was a creature.

My husband was wandering around doing housework, so he caught some of the movie, but at the end he said "You know how I know it was good? You spent a good 45 minutes muttering 'Oh gently caress' Or 'holy poo poo' under your breath." I had no idea I was doing that, but it really was that good of a movie. I did catch myself several times going :aaa: when I realized I was sitting with my jaw left open. I want to watch it again, and I also want to check out the Twilight Zone reboot he did, because this movie definitely had that Twilight Zone feel to it at times.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

raven77 posted:

I want to watch it again, and I also want to check out the Twilight Zone reboot he did, because this movie definitely had that Twilight Zone feel to it at times.

I love Peele but you can go ahead and skip Twilight Zone. I don't think he had anything to do with writing it and most of it is PAINFUL.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The marketing had unprecedented restraint nowadays for not giving the entire plot away. Helps that the characters being mistaken and wrong footed about it is a plot point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The trailers made it pretty clear it was about UFOs but nothing hinted at what it truly was. And some trailers leaned into it being generic UFO/aliens because they show a quick shot of one of the kids dressed as an alien but you only see the top of its head and a clip of Gordy fist bumping looked like it could've been an alien hand.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

TIP posted:

I love Peele but you can go ahead and skip Twilight Zone. I don't think he had anything to do with writing it and most of it is PAINFUL.

The facts that a) it didn't last long and b) I saw no positive buzz about it made me figure it wasn't worth it. Thanks for the confirmation. Also Twilight Zone is a perfect series, so I'll just keep watching reruns of it when I catch it on TV.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The trailers made it pretty clear it was about UFOs but nothing hinted at what it truly was. And some trailers leaned into it being generic UFO/aliens because they show a quick shot of one of the kids dressed as an alien but you only see the top of its head and a clip of Gordy fist bumping looked like it could've been an alien hand.
Exactly! It's been years since I've seen a trailer that made you interested in a movie, without also telling you every plot point of the movie before you see it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Traditionally trailers that tell you what the story is actually tend to work better as advertising than "here's some cool images, buy a ticket." Nope's trailer manages to give you just enough of the context- the main characters, what their situation is, they're trying to run this ranch when something shows up- without actually revealing most of the story.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
I really loved the opening shot with Gordy and the shoe completely upright. Me, being an idiot, at first wasn't sure if it was part of the movie since the MonkeyPaw Studios screen came up a few seconds after. I was like "Wow! These Studio visuals are getting really intricate!" I mean, there was a monkey....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While it's probably just as well we're long past the point of any vaguely horror movie having a mandatory sequel and preferably a ridiculous number of them just to completely run the premise into the ground while somehow calling it a 'franchise', I do kinda wanna see what that looks like with Nope. Do the whole immortal jellyfish thing with Jean Jacket coming back for revenge, a prequel with a younger JJ actually being the weather balloon/flying saucer in the Roswell incident, another prequel with a young Gordy coincidentally encountering Jean Jacket and thus becoming terrified of balloons just to ruin everything about the original.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
NOPES, have a whole fleet of JJ.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NOPE doesn't need a sequel, but gently caress it.

A different kind of UAP that acts like an angler fish, with weird humanoid figures that lure people in. It's very hard to spot the translucent tendrils that extend from their heads into the clouds...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A different kind of UAP that acts like an angler fish, with weird humanoid figures that lure people in. It's very hard to spot the translucent tendrils that extend from their heads into the clouds...

Oh man, go all kinds of Uncanny Valley with this and you got ideas.

Also I'm reminded of that surprisingly terrifying Rocko's Modern Life episode.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a completely sincere Goonies-style adaption of Kid Sheriff

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The_Doctor posted:

NOPES, have a whole fleet of JJ.

Nope

Noooope

Nopenopenope

hell no

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh man, go all kinds of Uncanny Valley with this and you got ideas.

Also I'm reminded of that surprisingly terrifying Rocko's Modern Life episode.

I thought of Stephen King’s «Insomnia»

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's the time lapse supposed to be between the opening of the film and when OJ goes to see Jupe with Em?

[spoiler]Jupe says that his first sighting of the alien was 6 months ago. Was that when OJ's dad was killed?
I've read a few places that the coin that killed Otis Senior was a coin from the theme park wishing well attraction but I think it's just a random coin?
Did I imagine that there was a group of lost hikers mentioned in the early scenes of the movie and we're to assume they were the ones screaming overhead the first time OJ sees the alien?[spoiler]

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

tadashi posted:

What's the time lapse supposed to be between the opening of the film and when OJ goes to see Jupe with Em?

Jupe says that his first sighting of the alien was 6 months ago. Was that when OJ's dad was killed?
I've read a few places that the coin that killed Otis Senior was a coin from the theme park wishing well attraction but I think it's just a random coin?
Did I imagine that there was a group of lost hikers mentioned in the early scenes of the movie and we're to assume they were the ones screaming overhead the first time OJ sees the alien?

1: I think he says he first saw it 6 weeks ago, not 6 months? I don't know if that's long enough to get some custom neon signs built though.
2: It's a nickel, presumably from those hikers
3: I mean yeah, I assume so

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's six months

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Had a sudden realisation that of all the fantastic animals suffering for spectacle movies, I don't think anyone yet brought up King Kong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Kong was a puppet

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

King Kong was a puppet

yeah man, a puppet of the system

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean that you have a fantastic animal of great size and strength that is (probably) far out of its natural environment, treated as a source of spectacle and put on public display to disastrous results, and ultimately killed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Under the Skin?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh hey looks like the Blu-ray’s are shipping now

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

This is the first episode of the Magnus Archives podcast!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I had mentioned that whole thing about Jordan Peele reaching out to do a Zoom interview after Hideo Kojima gushed over NOPE, but apparently Kojima flew out and met with Peele at what appears to be his house.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1600229483486683136?s=20&t=AMfp6t1cW6W1OP-qJ894cg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1600321243298734080?s=46&t=iZ4a1mjlD_FHAG5c0dszCA

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
okay the Scorpion King shirt in a Haywood's Hollywood Horses bag is great merch

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
This movie really was a treat for me. I'm a bit jaded, but there were scenes where it made me sit up in my chair and talk back at my screen. The way it ties every story point together, and homages so many other works is amazing. I've seen the whole thing twice and replayed scenes constantly. The whole premise appeals to the naturalist/biologist in me. The whole plausible biology of Jean Jacket fascinated me. But there was something more...

Then it hit me on a scene re-watch.where Holst climbed the hill to film Jean Jacket, that Peele didn't make a horror movie, he made a Dragon hunting movie. All of a sudden I was a kid watching Dragonslayer again. And I realized a big reason I was fixated on Nope.

(Possible spoilers in a roundabout way below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-erzWkXWc

Jordan Peele is a maestro. I'm going to check out his other stuff when I get the chance because his talent slipped under my radar. He's the next Spielberg. :D

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ramen Pride! posted:

Then it hit me on a scene re-watch.where Holst climbed the hill to film Jean Jacket,

"This dream you're chasing, where you end up at the top of the mountain, all eyes on you... it's the dream you never wake up from."

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I got to this movie but has anyone posted this yet?

https://imgur.com/gallery/7G97l1x

It’s fan art describing the structure of JJ. I LOVED this movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

celewign posted:

I got to this movie but has anyone posted this yet?

https://imgur.com/gallery/7G97l1x

It’s fan art describing the structure of JJ. I LOVED this movie.

Has been, but still fun. Also, there's a touch in there I loved.

The mention that no trace of the central eye was recovered. One of JJ's designers mentioned there was an animal aspect they didn't get to feature in the movie; that of the immortal jellyfish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeTQTyRhKg

Uploaded 4 years ago….:eyepop: