Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes it’s fine to take inspiration from real life events. They used things that happened to make it feel real but the event is made up. The Travis the chimp story has a longer, sadder back story which involves the death of a loved one, depression, neglect, and giving an animal medications it shouldn’t have.

Gordy just got spooked by some balloons and went apeshit (lol)

The events are very different except both involved a chimp and ended in people being hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I love Nope but it's also important to examine media, especially one where of the themes is exploitation of tragedy.

Here's Charla Nash, the mutilated survivor of the real life horrific chimp attack

And here's Mary Jo, the survivor of the horrible chimp attack in Nope.

I think the question "is it appropriate to draw such obvious parallels to a real person's situation for the purposes of entertainment" worth asking, especially when the film is making points about exploitation. Nash's story has been sucked up and spit out in a new form. I don't have an answer apart from "it's complicated", and I think tbh I think the only opinion that really matters here would be Nash's.

...okay am I the only one looking at Mary Jo's veil like...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CelticPredator posted:

The events are very different except both involved a chimp and ended in people being hurt.

The events are different but the image of Mary Jo is very similar to Nash is my point, it's drawing on her tragedy. And it's not like she's a long-dead historical figure, she's still alive and was still undergoing reconstructive surgeries as late as 2011.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

drat, I never caught that, the billowing fabric echoing Jean Jacket's unfolding

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 20, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:aaaaa:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I love Nope but it's also important to examine media, especially one where of the themes is exploitation of tragedy.

Here's Charla Nash, the mutilated survivor of the real life horrific chimp attack

And here's Mary Jo, the survivor of the horrible chimp attack in Nope.

I think the question "is it appropriate to draw such obvious parallels to a real person's situation for the purposes of entertainment" worth asking, especially when the film is making points about exploitation. Nash's story has been sucked up and spit out in a new form. I don't have an answer apart from "it's complicated", and I think tbh I think the only opinion that really matters here would be Nash's.

Is it appropriate to draw such parallels to a real person's situation for the purposes of entertainment? Yes.

Nash's opinion matters as much as the next person. She doesn't have ownership over anything in the film. If it's complicated I don't know what the complication is

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Peele's drawing obvious parallels between between the two. Does that rise to the level of exploitation? Does the content and the message impact whether drawing the parallel is exploitative?

I don't really think Nope comes across as an exploitation movie and I don't personally think anything in the messaging makes it exploitative either. I do think it's interesting to think about whether Peele has become the thing he's railing against, creating spectacle and hanging entertainment on a real tragedy, and whether or not that was part of the point.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Nash's opinion matters as much as the next person. She doesn't have ownership over anything in the film. If it's complicated I don't know what the complication is

I mean the complication is that if someone based a character on you and an extremely traumatic event that left you blind and disfigured you might have a few things to say about it (and I think your opinion would matter more than some rando), but...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really think Nope comes across as an exploitation movie and I don't personally think anything in the messaging makes it exploitative either. I do think it's interesting to think about whether Peele has become the thing he's railing against, creating spectacle and hanging entertainment on a real tragedy, and whether or not that was part of the point.

...this sums up my thoughts on the whole thing. No-one's cancelling Peele, it's just a discussion point, because Nope is a crazy good movie that warrants analysis and discussion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is an interesting discussion since the characters describe capturing the entity as the "Oprah shot" and Oprah's the one who asked Nash to reveal her face and the extent of her horrific injuries on her show.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My biggest problem with this line of discourse is how heavy handed the word exploit is being used. Is any reference in film to a tragic real life event exploitation?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TheBizzness posted:

Is any reference in film to a tragic real life event exploitation?

I think that's the question. Is it?

Is it only exploitation if it's crass? Is it possible to say something sympathetic and still have it be exploitative just because it's a big Hollywood summer blockbuster?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I mean the complication is that if someone based a character on you and an extremely traumatic event that left you blind and disfigured you might have a few things to say about it (and I think your opinion would matter more than some rando), but...

...this sums up my thoughts on the whole thing. No-one's cancelling Peele, it's just a discussion point, because Nope is a crazy good movie that warrants analysis and discussion.

I think everyone would be interested in hearing what she thought of the movie but aside from that this discussion seems cumbersome. All art is exploitative.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

My biggest problem with this line of discourse is how heavy handed the word exploit is being used. Is any reference in film to a tragic real life event exploitation?

Yes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is an interesting discussion since the characters describe capturing the entity as the "Oprah shot" and Oprah's the one who asked Nash to reveal her face and the extent of her horrific injuries on her show.

drat, that's a deep cut

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

I sincerely disagree, or we have different definitions of the word exploit.

If the movie had centered on Mary Jo and the chimp attack then I would agree it was exploitation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat, that's a deep cut

Possibly reading too much into it but I would ask Peele about the connection if I got the chance.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s a worthwhile discussion but if anyone is going to poo-poo any film that references, portrays, or utilizes real world tragedy you are essentially disarming every artists ability to process the world they live in. It can quickly become a can they vs. should they discussion but pretending these references don’t happen constantly in all forms of fiction is bizarre.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think that denying the films roots in exploitation is not only more damaging, it’s attempting to obfuscate the truth of history. No one is trying to poo poo on your lols by pointing out this movie has ties to real world tragedies, but denying the movie’s ties to those realities is tantamount to rewriting the origins of these stories.

I also think Peele is aware of all these pitfalls, which is why he wrote it into the bones of this movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I think that denying the films roots in exploitation is not only more damaging, it’s attempting to obfuscate the truth of history. No one is trying to poo poo on your lols by pointing out this movie has ties to real world tragedies, but denying the movie’s ties to those realities is tantamount to rewriting the origins of these stories.

Not sure how you got that from my post- I’m specifically saying that this move, like so much of fiction, is tied to real life events/tragedy, nothing is created in a vacuum, and that is a valid expression of the artists free will to do so not something I would attempt to change or deny.

I was referring that original weird aggro-post that seemingly dismissed the whole film because of that particular reference

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 20, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Considering how layered Peele's movies are, there's no way the Charla Nash references are a coincidence in a movie that hinges on getting "the Oprah shot."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

live with fruit posted:

Considering how layered Peele's movies are, there's no way the Charla Nash references are a coincidence in a movie that hinges on getting "the Oprah shot."

I don’t think anyone is debating this

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The issue here is that people are debating whether or not a thing is exploitative without delineating whether they mean exploitation in the literal sense (to make use of a resourse) or the ethical sense (to use a situation or a person in a selfish/unfair way).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

idk if anyone has listened to Hideo Kojima's new podcast on Spotify "Brain Structure" but Kojima was such a big fan of Nope his second episode was all about it although he doesn't get too much detail into it because of spoilers, so he kinda talks about UFOs for most of it.

However, the next episode is rumored to have Jordan Peele on it. According to the closing promo, "someone" got in touch with Kojima related to the subject of the second episode and it's likely Peele since Kojima expressed a great admiration of Peele's oeuvre and Kojima has all his Hollywood director contacts.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kojima/Peele is absolutely a team-up I want to see.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Young Freud posted:

idk if anyone has listened to Hideo Kojima's new podcast on Spotify "Brain Structure" but Kojima was such a big fan of Nope his second episode was all about it although he doesn't get too much detail into it because of spoilers, so he kinda talks about UFOs for most of it.

However, the next episode is rumored to have Jordan Peele on it. According to the closing promo, "someone" got in touch with Kojima related to the subject of the second episode and it's likely Peele since Kojima expressed a great admiration of Peele's oeuvre and Kojima has all his Hollywood director contacts.

Seems likely

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1570217827055050752?s=20&t=U919bjxiHgal4QtdF2wkmA

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh dang a Kojima podcast? Nice.

I kind of dislike when podcasts won’t talk about spoilers. If I’m going to listen to a long discussion then let’s get into it. Otherwise it’s basically an ad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Do you think Kojima just skipped to the end like he did with Better Call Saul.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Universal Studios has a bunch of Jupiter’s Claim stuff on their tram ride

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole faux-nostalgia deal of things like Kid Sheriff and Gordy's Home is always interesting. It's a very tricky thing especially when you're not just making an obviously recognisable but legally distinct riff on something. I think they both seem about a decade too late in the timeline for what they're going for, as has been discussed before; Gordy's Home definitely would be the last gasp of the 80s gimmick sitcom, which I'm sure there's a lot of discussion to be had about why they died out (Though probably mostly because they were never very good) and from what we see of Kid Sheriff, it kinda looks like a riff on Goonies? Though I suppose a kids adventure movie that's merchandised right up the rear end is a lot more 90s plausible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kid Sheriff could have easily been a 2000s era Robert Rodriguez kid movie a la Spy Kids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spy Kids has always been its own weird little niche honestly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole faux-nostalgia deal of things like Kid Sheriff and Gordy's Home is always interesting. It's a very tricky thing especially when you're not just making an obviously recognisable but legally distinct riff on something. I think they both seem about a decade too late in the timeline for what they're going for, as has been discussed before; Gordy's Home definitely would be the last gasp of the 80s gimmick sitcom, which I'm sure there's a lot of discussion to be had about why they died out (Though probably mostly because they were never very good) and from what we see of Kid Sheriff, it kinda looks like a riff on Goonies? Though I suppose a kids adventure movie that's merchandised right up the rear end is a lot more 90s plausible.

Similar idea. I really think I'm happier thinking that Nope takes place 5 to 10 years ago. It explains why there's a full-stocked Fry's Electronics.

"Gordy's Home" feels like an early FOX show where they were just throwing anything at the wall to see if it stuck. Like aired in that Sunday night timeslot after NFL (and thus prone to being pre-empted) and before The Simpsons.

"Kid Sheriff" feels more similar to 3 Ninjas where it might have been a modest success theatrically, had a bigger impact on home video, but, like most kid's entertainment, is formulaic and largely forgettable. I would have no doubt that Em and OJ saw "Kid Sheriff" off of basic cable TV, like they did not see that movie theatrically. But, after the "Gordy's Home" incident, there's suddenly a huge interest in it because Jupe survived.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Kid Sheriff makes sense as a touchstone for OJ and Em because it probably involved horse stunts and released around the time they began to take an interest in their dad's job.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In their world, the late 80s and early 90s were ruled by cowboys, not ninjas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Might also just be that Kid Sheriff gives me huge Fallout vibes. Like, the kind of in-universe Old World mascot and merchandise you'd see in a Fallout game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might also just be that Kid Sheriff gives me huge Fallout vibes. Like, the kind of in-universe Old World mascot and merchandise you'd see in a Fallout game.

I didn't make that connection, but now that you've brought it up I suddenly realize I completely agree.

There would probably be a side quest you could do to get a Kid Sheriff outfit and a custom Kid Sheriff gun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't make that connection, but now that you've brought it up I suddenly realize I completely agree.

There would probably be a side quest you could do to get a Kid Sheriff outfit and a custom Kid Sheriff gun.
[X] Arrive at the Star Lasso Experience.
[X] Signal for Jupe IX to come meet you.
[X] Check the office.
[ ] Examine the sky for smoke.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Currently on vacation with my family in Missouri at a place called Big Cedar Lodge and none of us have seen a single black person since we got here. I feel like I might be an incidental bad guy in a Jordan Peele movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

quote:

Born in Kingston upon Thames, England, at the age of 20 he emigrated to the United States as a bookseller, first to New York City, and eventually to San Francisco. In 1860, he planned a return trip to Europe, and suffered serious head injuries in a stagecoach crash in Texas en route.[2][3] He spent the next few years recuperating in Kingston upon Thames, where he took up professional photography, learned the wet-plate collodion process, and secured at least two British patents for his inventions.[2] He returned to San Francisco in 1867, a man with a markedly changed personality. In 1868, he exhibited large photographs of Yosemite Valley, and began selling popular stereographs of his work.

In 1874, Muybridge shot and killed Major Harry Larkyns, his wife's lover, but was acquitted in a controversial jury trial, on the grounds of justifiable homicide.[4] In 1875, he travelled for more than a year in Central America on a photographic expedition.

Today, Muybridge is best known for his pioneering chronophotography of animal locomotion between 1878 and 1886, which used multiple cameras to capture the different positions in a stride

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I used to live by Kingston. It’s alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The poster for Kid Sheriff reminded me of Holes. I think Gordy’s Home being a relic when it was made also works for the film. It wasn’t even a good show or really worth making.