Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If he doesn't take the film, his "You don't deserve the impossible" line doesn't make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Im curious to see the box office this week since it's a movie so far from people's expectations

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

quote:

DISCLAIMER: Jupiters Claim is in no way affiliated with the “Kid Sheriff” franchise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well, there were no good shots in the first reel, and Angel put the second reel in wrong, so the first camera didn't get the Oprah shot. The harness camera was both obscured the whole time and would have been lost/destroyed by the leviathan if it'd not been killed, so no Oprah shot there. This makes the final scene necessary and its reward, beyond killing the beast, genuine.

Are you sure that reel was wrong? I didn't hear him answer when they kept asking about the footage.

All I got from that scene for sure is that he saw what some cinematographers see as that perfect light right at sun-up/sunset and had to go in and get that perfect shot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The_Doctor posted:

I was just reading the TVtropes page for the film, and It says that Holst took the hand cranked footage with him when he ran off? But that’s not what happened, surely? He shot one reel of not much, had to change film container, Angel put in the new reel, and then Holst took off with a smaller camera, leaving Angel to film with the big one. So they definitely got footage on that one, and Holst’s small camera may have survived too.

I took it as Holst decided to film the thing from the inside, the truly impossible, once in a lifetime shot. He knew he wouldn't survive but that's what he was saying with "we don't deserve the impossible".
He definitely didn't take the film with him though, the Imax was different from his hand built camera

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*gets the film back*

“Where’s the ring?”

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Alan Smithee posted:

*gets the film back*

“Where’s the ring?”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s in my eye

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Maybe a lifetime of creepy pastas have just left me numb, but as much as I like this I wish they had made the "dark" side of the website a little bit spookier.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Even got the creepy little head tilts like Ricky's kids. I love that even though the movie was a big twist on the formula, we still got a conventional Greys scene, and a pretty spooky one as these things go. Right up until OJ decked one, which I'm always here for anyways.

Just to tie the knot on the whole "third act is Jaws" thing: Em doesn't need to say "Smile, you son of a-" before she takes her last shot and Jean Jacket detonates - that would have been over-the-top indulgence on Peele's part - but I'm kind of always going to mentally fill it in now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Maybe a lifetime of creepy pastas have just left me numb, but as much as I like this I wish they had made the "dark" side of the website a little bit spookier.

I dig the "dark" reviews part. Especially the one who got to hear Jupe's childhood actor stories and followed with, "I’m going to be honest, it made me feel sad."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Are you sure that reel was wrong? I didn't hear him answer when they kept asking about the footage.

All I got from that scene for sure is that he saw what some cinematographers see as that perfect light right at sun-up/sunset and had to go in and get that perfect shot.

I'm not sure: I thought (but can't double check) that when angel fetched the second reel and placed it into the crank camera, the end of the roll of film hit the frame of the camera when being inserted and fell off it's little guide, so it's not being spooled when cranked.

If that happened, neither of them noticed. The cinematographer wasn't looking down at the cemera to double check him and it happened on the far side of the reel from Angel, who also was clearly a little uncertain about how to insert the film, the actor/character hesitated for a second.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole central theme of the movie isn't really particularly subtle: it's about animals on film, and specifically their relationship with show business. Showbiz treats them as marketable props, and promotes unrealistic ideas about them. People project a lot onto them and think they know and understand a lot more about them than they actually do, while neglecting their needs and keeping them in environments ultimately unsuited for them. The movie even directly and indirectly references several famous incidents of trained performing animals attacking humans.

Also I think I found a fun way to summarise the movie: Jaws, but they try to monetise the shark.

The whole Gordy sequence is absolutely meant to be foreshadowing, and draws comparisons between Gordy and Jean Jacket- both are ultimately animals, which were trained for a public performance that went horribly wrong. Jupe unfortunately basically ended up recreating the Gordy tragedy on a much larger scale, trying to overcome his trauma and ultimately recreating it in the most horrific possible way- an upset, confused and spooked animal goes on a rampage, brutally killing multiple people, in what was supposed to be cheap entertainment.

Also some interesting conversation on Reddit including a marine biologist's impressions of the movie- they figured out that Jean Jacket was an animal, not a vehicle piloted by sentient beings, before the characters did, based on the way it acts- its body language seems based on aquatic life, squids and octopuses in particular. Incidentally, they also theorise that Jean Jacket's species seems possibly more suited to ocean life, feeding on schools of fish most of the time.

Incidentally, came to mind myself that given its behaviour, body language and response to others- seeing eye contact as a threat like apes do and responding with aggression- seems to imply that it has some level of social behaviours, and the eye contact thing would make particular sense considering that despite apparently having very good eyesight- heck, it can tell that much smaller animals are looking directly at it- its 'eye' is only visible when it makes a threat display. Considering everything it can do, I imagine one of the only natural predators it might have are larger members of its own species, and given its immense appetite it probably has to claim a large amount of territory to sustain itself. Which of course, makes for another scary thought- it's not a one-off, there are others out there, and they might be even bigger.

...of course, given all it really took to kill it was a relatively cheap prop, it ironically isn't that big of a threat once you understand it... much like even the largest and most dangerous animals. Heck, Romans would probably be able to kill one, with decent siege weapons and knowledge of its traits to lure it into a trap, and they wouldn't even notice the EMP thing. If they are native to Earth, the invention of powered flight may have been a mass extinction event for them that humanity didn't even notice.

...also, apparently on an interview, Peele confirmed 'Nope' means Not Of Planet Earth

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 26, 2022

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Peele confirmed 'Nope' means Not Of Planet Earth

OJ: "What do they call a bad miracle? They got a word for that?

Em: "Nope"

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Jordan Peele is so good at horror because he understands that it's also about what the audience doesn't see. Right now I'm thinking of what was left to the imagination during the Gordy flashback. You don't really see the girl Gordy's attacking, but you hear her screams and his weird chewing sounds.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

tonedef131 posted:

OJ: "What do they call a bad miracle? They got a word for that?

Em: "Nope"

Also I'm riding on the theory that Jean Jacket's species has been mistaken for angels

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pachylad posted:

Also I'm riding on the theory that Jean Jacket's species has been mistaken for angels

Oh, yeah, if they've been here for a while and they eat anyone who looks at them but pass over those who avert their gaze. Not just angels, but gods, perhaps.

Also hot drat Corey Hart and Gowan music in a major motion picture. The Gowan song is lyrically perfect for this movie, too.

If there's anything that doesn't sit right with me about the movie it's Gordy's Home being filmed in 1998. That is a late 80s high concept family sitcom.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Phy posted:

Oh, yeah, if they've been here for a while and they eat anyone who looks at them but pass over those who avert their gaze. Not just angels, but gods, perhaps.

Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the Lord out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. - Genesis 19:24‭-‬26

quote:

If there's anything that doesn't sit right with me about the movie it's Gordy's Home being filmed in 1998. That is a late 80s high concept family sitcom.

Mandela effect getting to me that I thought the Travis incident in real life was in the 90's or at latest the very early 00's and not as (relatively) recent as 2009.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole central theme of the movie isn't really particularly subtle: it's about animals on film, and specifically their relationship with show business. Showbiz treats them as marketable props, and promotes unrealistic ideas about them. People project a lot onto them and think they know and understand a lot more about them than they actually do, while neglecting their needs and keeping them in environments ultimately unsuited for them. The movie even directly and indirectly references several famous incidents of trained performing animals attacking humans.

Also I think I found a fun way to summarise the movie: Jaws, but they try to monetise the shark.

The whole Gordy sequence is absolutely meant to be foreshadowing, and draws comparisons between Gordy and Jean Jacket- both are ultimately animals, which were trained for a public performance that went horribly wrong. Jupe unfortunately basically ended up recreating the Gordy tragedy on a much larger scale, trying to overcome his trauma and ultimately recreating it in the most horrific possible way- an upset, confused and spooked animal goes on a rampage, brutally killing multiple people, in what was supposed to be cheap entertainment.

Also some interesting conversation on Reddit including a marine biologist's impressions of the movie- they figured out that Jean Jacket was an animal, not a vehicle piloted by sentient beings, before the characters did, based on the way it acts- its body language seems based on aquatic life, squids and octopuses in particular. Incidentally, they also theorise that Jean Jacket's species seems possibly more suited to ocean life, feeding on schools of fish most of the time.

Incidentally, came to mind myself that given its behaviour, body language and response to others- seeing eye contact as a threat like apes do and responding with aggression- seems to imply that it has some level of social behaviours, and the eye contact thing would make particular sense considering that despite apparently having very good eyesight- heck, it can tell that much smaller animals are looking directly at it- its 'eye' is only visible when it makes a threat display. Considering everything it can do, I imagine one of the only natural predators it might have are larger members of its own species, and given its immense appetite it probably has to claim a large amount of territory to sustain itself. Which of course, makes for another scary thought- it's not a one-off, there are others out there, and they might be even bigger.

...of course, given all it really took to kill it was a relatively cheap prop, it ironically isn't that big of a threat once you understand it... much like even the largest and most dangerous animals. Heck, Romans would probably be able to kill one, with decent siege weapons and knowledge of its traits to lure it into a trap, and they wouldn't even notice the EMP thing. If they are native to Earth, the invention of powered flight may have been a mass extinction event for them that humanity didn't even notice.

...also, apparently on an interview, Peele confirmed 'Nope' means Not Of Planet Earth

That's all fine but then how has it adapted/evolved to disguise itself as a cloud?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

[/spoiler]

Is this the Reddit thread you're talking about?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno about y'all but I knew it was a monster eating things when it picked up the first horse that screamed bloody murder

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I figured it out when they made the Eye Contact thing explicit, because that’s basically universal among predatory animals.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kaddish posted:

That's all fine but then how has it adapted/evolved to disguise itself as a cloud?

Nope

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phy posted:

That and the dad making a run for it. It's believable that someone in that situation would try but it's also one of those yelling at the screen horror movie things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay but remember all of 2020 and then never say “no one would do that” ever again lmao

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

This is a perfectly fine answer because much like Us, Nope and a lot of horror/sci-fi movies, applying logic shatters the illusion and isn't the point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaddish posted:

This is a perfectly fine answer because much like Us, Nope and a lot of horror/sci-fi movies, applying logic shatters the illusion and isn't the point.

Are you sure because The Algorithm seems to think I want to see any of the hundreds of NOPE EXPLAINED videos.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

CelticPredator posted:

Okay but remember all of 2020 and then never say “no one would do that” ever again lmao

A friend and I recently went to a roadside attraction that was at someone's house, and one of the people who ran it invited us to look at the behind-the-scenes area of one of the displays. We went through an old junk room to a small, enclosed space with the host standing between us and the exit, which had a padlock hooked outside the door.

We knew there was one other guest around, there were windows big enough to get out through, and it didn't feel sketchy at all. But later my friend and I talked about how we just walked into a horror movie murder room because a stranger asked us to and we didn't want to seem rude.

I wouldn't follow a creepy sound into a basement, but apparently there are levels of dumb movie poo poo that I will do if the alternative is socially awkward.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

deety posted:

A friend and I recently went to a roadside attraction that was at someone's house, and one of the people who ran it invited us to look at the behind-the-scenes area of one of the displays. We went through an old junk room to a small, enclosed space with the host standing between us and the exit, which had a padlock hooked outside the door.

We knew there was one other guest around, there were windows big enough to get out through, and it didn't feel sketchy at all. But later my friend and I talked about how we just walked into a horror movie murder room because a stranger asked us to and we didn't want to seem rude.

I wouldn't follow a creepy sound into a basement, but apparently there are levels of dumb movie poo poo that I will do if the alternative is socially awkward.

I hadn't thought about it before but Fincher did something like this in Zodiac and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CelticPredator posted:

I imagine Peele had the idea for a while and the timeline matches up perfectly if it was first considered in 2010 or so. He had to actually film it later and wisely retained the ape and some additional spoiler space

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gavok posted:

I dig the "dark" reviews part. Especially the one who got to hear Jupe's childhood actor stories and followed with, "I’m going to be honest, it made me feel sad."

That was my favorite bit of the whole thing.

Kaddish posted:

Here are my best guesses.

How: incremental evolutionary changes over time passed down via genetics, just like all other mimic species on earth.

Why: to disguise itself from members of its own species.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could probably kill Jean Jacket with a harpoon, the same way we kill whales. The problem is knowing that ahead of time and preparing enough harpoons and securing a safe location to be able to take it down. Humans are really good at killing basically anything when we have the right tools, but when we don't have those tool that we're basically just bipedal McDonalds value meals.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Origin thoughts - if Jean Jacket's species is actually extraterrestrial it would make a lot of sense for it to have come from one of the gas giants. A big flying jellyfish that hides in clouds would fit right in - and wouldn't even necessarily be the apex predator in that sort of environment.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pachylad posted:

Is this the Reddit thread you're talking about?

That be the one! Particular answer from that I liked:

quote:

I can’t remember when exactly the scene happened, but an early sighting where it kicks up a little dust cloud and then glides behind the mountains to hide. That wouldn’t make sense for an alien space ship - they’d be smart enough to know speed and distance is a much better defense than staying low to the ground.

But that is the exact move an animal makes when defending its home on a reef - do a little scare, kick up a little sand, then hide while they’re looking the other way.

Something else I picked up from the reddit: the understated use of barn owls as a motif in the movie. They have a long association with UFO lore and being mistaken for aliens by scared folks in the dark. The alien toys at the park even have a resemblance to them. And Jean Jacket is a predator that hunts at night, flies silently, swallows its prey whole and regurgitates the parts it can't digest...

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Origin thoughts - if Jean Jacket's species is actually extraterrestrial it would make a lot of sense for it to have come from one of the gas giants. A big flying jellyfish that hides in clouds would fit right in - and wouldn't even necessarily be the apex predator in that sort of environment.

And that environment would map oddly well to an aquatic one. Of course, I figured with the cloud thing that like, clouds are pretty common phenomena on any moist enough planet, I imagine. I feel like its incongruity on Earth, and how it dies in a way that could very easily happen on accident, points to it being of extraterrestrial origin... and also plays perfectly well into the themes. It's a displaced animal, far outside of its natural habitat, in an ecosystem it didn't evolve for, and the most common animals that match its prey profile are humans...

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

There's a short story by Arthur C Clarke called "A Meeting With Medusa" that has some interesting resonance with Nope:

The main thing, of course, being the enormous jellyfish of Jupiter's atmosphere. Jupiter, hmm? There's also "superchimps" which show up in other Clarke stories, they're genetically engineered to be less like Gordy and more ethically questionable. They're also, hilariously, called "simps."

The central theme of the story is that humans tend to do dangerous and stupid things for entertainment and exploration.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That be the one!

She substantiated my 'Jaws as metatextual reference' theory! (somewhat) Interesting also how she points out Harambe, the most recently ostensibly famous 'animal attack' actually is not exactly a good comparison like the other 3 she mentions.

Dookie-In-The-Pants
May 7, 2008

You don't have to tell me
this is a bad joke.....
you CAN just ignore it.

Yes of course the family’s last name is Houston. Queue the wacky neighbor, “uhhhh Houston, we have a problem!” (Audience cheers).

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So a balloon popping triggers Gordy's attack and then a balloon popping defeats Jean Jacket. I get that they're related, but it doesn't seem quite like foreshadowing since they have opposite effects.

Also why did they name Jean Jacket after a horse Em wasn't allowed to train?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Her father didn't think she could handle Jean Jacket, but her brother knew she could handle Jean Jacket.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a great loving film. Aside from the Gordy incident, which as others have already said is one of the most intense sequences I've seen in years, I think I was just so engrossed in noticing all the references to be super scared and was just having a great loving time. I typically can't handle horror movies, but this was definitely more suspense and unsettling than outright horror in the best way.

I grinned like at an idiot at the digestion and bike slide references from Akira and the little dilophosaurus shake Jean Jacket does near the end when it's facing the camera.

What's really great is that the references are also so suited to the film. Almost all of them come from movies where the central themes are either trying to tame a power you don't understand or chasing attention at the expense of those around you. It's not like he just went "let's throw a Spielberg reference in here," but was instead extremely purposeful in choosing when and how to tie into other media. Which is an action by itself that reinforces its own themes about media consumption.

Brilliant movie. Loved just about every second of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
From a few days ago but whatever I just saw this movie:

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad peele addressed the uap thing

I’m never gonna call ufos uaps

I loved this conversation because the term "UFO" narrows down what it could be. "UAP" is a subtle way of saying "Well how do you know it's a spaceship full of grey men with big eyes?" Just before the big reveal