Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got back, and drat, that was an amazing film.

The scene with the ‘greys’ in the stable was so unsettling. There was something so inhuman in the way they moved and their shape, it made me shiver just to look at them. Nice Communion nod as one peered around the corner post.

I’m fairly sure Gordy was CGI, which had the effect of being really loving deep in the uncanny valley.

The scene of the people trapped inside the UAP was some full on nightmare fuel. That’s going to stay with me for a while. :stare:

Also shoutout to Em’s Akira bike slide. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a fun brick joke when OJ mentions to Ricky about maybe buying some of the horses back again, and Ricky pauses before saying something like ‘we’ll talk about it later.’ Then later on you realise why OJ isn’t getting those horses back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That scene retroactively makes all the scenes where there’s the sound of screaming far off in the distance all the more horrifying.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hope Nope starts a wave of UFO-related horror.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was just reading the TVtropes page for the film, and It says that Holst took the hand cranked footage with him when he ran off? But that’s not what happened, surely? He shot one reel of not much, had to change film container, Angel put in the new reel, and then Holst took off with a smaller camera, leaving Angel to film with the big one. So they definitely got footage on that one, and Holst’s small camera may have survived too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So this poster.

oh my god, his hat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

some more details about Fry's Electronics role in the movie, which is of great interest to me

How Jordan Peele brought the Bay Area's Fry's Electronics back to life for 'Nope'
San Francisco news anchor, Fry's Electronics co-founder have surprise cameos in 'Nope'

One of the Fry's founders/owners/? gets sucked up in the Star Lasso Experience

apparently you can see some facsimile of Jupiter's Claim on the Universal backlot tour?

Yes, you can!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Us didn’t work for me at all. As someone said, the more you think about it, the more it all falls apart. It really only works on an allegory level. It did however give us Winston Duke’s thighs, and they were more than welcome.

Where did people think it was going to go as the film unfolded?

From the opening scene: the empty studio first made me think this was taking place after the events of the film, that an invasion or mass abduction had taken place, and we’d loop back around to this point again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Universal making sure you caught all the cleverness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-upty5Xfy8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phy posted:

Yknow, for a movie that is pretty good about conserving its narrative detail, we never did find out what happened to the black kid from that

He’s Nick Cannon now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Before I saw the film, I expected to get a full on horrifying sequence inside the ship à la Fire in the Sky. This was way worse :gonk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

There were title cards? drat I think I remember that now that you mention it but I'd entirely forgotten. Memory is weird :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone on Reddit did a theoretical anatomy study, and it’s pretty fascinating!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now I want to see a film where the subtitles lie to you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, it’s come up in Reddit discussions, it looks like JJ has some kind of eye on the front, or a sensory organ or something? That little notch right in the middle of the rim is making people suggest JJ’s vision works like a camera obscura.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, that’s the start of the climax. It’s visible at other points too, that’s just the only pic I could find.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“We ask ourselves questions such as ‘is it real if there’s a photograph of it? Can that photograph be trusted?’ and ‘What am I even looking at?‘ Those and more swirl round and round about the events that happened at Agua Dulce. And maybe, if we look deep, and we’re lucky, we might get a hint of an answer. But it might be an answer we may not want to know.

I’m Aaron Mahnke, and this… is Lore.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Orangutans are not monkeys :argh:

Ook. :hmmyes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I can see the studio making sequels off Nope, with or without Peele’s help. And honestly, I’d watch them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nope 2: Skinwalker Ranch Showdown
Nope 3: NRQZ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Someone on Reddit essentially made a short fan film:

It’s a bit spoilery for the film, so if you’ve not see Nope, don’t watch this.

https://imgur.com/a/vj9mv2V

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vishass posted:

I also thought it was clever that in the transition between flying saucer and Evangelion Angel that Jean Jacket looked like a weather balloon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does anyone have that theorized cross-section of how JJ's biology could work that was posted however many dozens of pages ago? I feel like it kind of lines up with what you see when it unfurls.

They did an expanded version! The creator is a ex-marine biologist, and used their knowledge to infer all kinds of details!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 30, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Don't threaten me with a good time.

I had trouble with the dialogue for the first 15 mins or so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In this shot, you can see the innards, and a bit of JJ’s eye:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Going to a My Morning Jacket concert is now terrifying.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fyadophobic posted:

What flavor are we thinking Cactus tastes like? Cucumber-lime?

It tastes similar to that Asian green grass jelly drink.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Somehow I missed that these were people the first time I saw the film. The sheer terrifying size of JJ is really brought home here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tumblr has pointed out to me that OJ interacts with Angel like he’s a horse, and that’s hilarious.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 8, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Peele liked a tweet that described Emerald as having ADHD and OJ as autistic, so that’s something to take into account too.

https://twitter.com/kocasoda/status/1567035794677968896

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I keep pondering the question ‘If JJ is an alien, how did it get to Earth?’ Its biology doesn’t seem like it would survive in the void of space all that well, I’d imagine?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m watching Close Encounters and I forgot the mothership at the end makes its own cloud as it travels to the mountain. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’m watching Close Encounters and I forgot the mothership at the end makes its own cloud as it travels to the mountain. :allears:

Not my tweet, but god, this one alien. :stare:

https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1563392690401656837

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In their world, the late 80s and early 90s were ruled by cowboys, not ninjas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I used to live by Kingston. It’s alright.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

NOPES, have a whole fleet of JJ.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Counterpoint: E,E,AAO getting 11 noms.

But generally, yes, you’re right. Every few years one big genre film will make it through. I’m actually surprised it’s Everything, Everywhere, etc as audience reactions felt very divisive. People either loved or hated it.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 25, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

NOPES: Just Another Bug Hunt

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Anyway Universal's Horror Nights have started up and it's dope as hell to actually walk through Jupiter's Claim.

The slightly off in the distance screams from the roller coasters must add immensely to the vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I work not too far from a Six Flags and when it opened back up for the summer I could hear screams on the wind when I was out back. It sounded exactly like Jean Jacket.

During the early parts of the film, that's what I assumed those sounds actually were.