Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I really really loved this movie. It felt tighter than US and also more comfortable in providing meditative rather than argumentative layering of its themes.

The overall theme of capturing something on camera rather than shooting it with a weapon was a really funny subversion that I think captures a lot of the film's wit and updating nostalgia of 60s-90s energy. Even at the end where destroying the creature is combined almost as an afterthought with capturing a photo. The importance of being seen by those you love off camera as well as on. This combines with the subtle racial recognition simmering throughout.

Then the meditations on fame and the dangers of cinema, seeking to capture the world always creating fraught with danger and inauthentic, from the chimp to TMZ to the cinematographer's nature doc of tigers and snakes wrestling. All that with the classic movie about making movies that is there but not annoyingly so It's not necessarily arguing a point, moreso a winking, dark reminder of what lies behind.

There is a reverence for the natural world that humanity is always seeking to tame with the ultimate barrier that exists between understanding people and chimps/horses/alien bioships and doubling that mystery and awe of the spectacle. And you could sneak in a whole bunch of climate change and human predator symbolism.

The movie feels like a spectacle blockbuster with callbacks to Spielberg and Shyamalan, but for once all the winking metaness didn't get on my nerves. It all feels relaxed and fun in the way of a shaggy story that's still wrapped tightly round.

I'm interested in what people thought of the third act which I've seen described as the film's failing. I thought it was a bit unsubtle but actively focuses on that primary film capture goal and ways of being seen, hyperfocus of modern society on that and overall it just creates a beautifully tense spectacle as the alien unfurls completely. I loved it and everyone else seems to hate it. Ah well.

edit: and that's just the themes. The incredible acting (Kaluuya is perfect) fun directorial choice, great sound design, it just feels so solid.

Segue fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

I also love with Gordy them using CGI. Which gets the shot Peele wants but also feels very deliberate about not using animals that are closer up the sentience chain from horses. Not even for farther shots of Gordy.

Segue
May 23, 2007

One thing I was thinking about was OJ and Em and guilt with Jean Jacket attacking Jupe and the audience only after they've fed it with a decoy horse stolen from Jupe's attraction. You could argue either Jean Jacket attacked them just due to indigestion or that it was getting revenge but either way there is a responsibility the film doesn't really wrestle with.

I mean you do have Jupe stopping by and aware of it, or the events being entirely unconnected but it's an interesting wrinkle.

Segue
May 23, 2007

[quote="1stGear" post="525077431"]
It was already eating people going by the initial rain of metal bits. Jean Jacket attacking Jupe because of the decoy horse goes against the theme of trying to control things you don't understand which is Jupe's failing both with the act and with his inability to properly process his trauma.

I did find it kind of interesting that just before Jean Jacket starts sucking people up, Jupe specifically tells the audience not to use their cameras and his wife gets a closeup reiterating it.

I think this makes some sense. Since it's the first time there's a large audience as well, and the theme of viewership, solid point!

Segue
May 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Do you guys remember a pig on a roof in the movie? I must’ve missed it the pig survived because it can’t look up

This is a hilarious visual gag shot that Peele holds forever because the pig is on the sherrif's office. It's multiple seconds of an anti-cop joke that still fits thematically and I love it.