Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The eye imagery is so clear in that last shot, such a great film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Legitimately don't get the admittedly few complaints I've seen that it falls apart in the last act. That's when everything comes together!

I get it in so much as the last act is where the tone shifts to straight up action rather than horror. Which I could see some people being annoyed with. But at the same time it owned, so whooooo cares

What I don't get is the people that think the whole Gordy's Home arc was pointless. It was literally the point of the movie!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Saw this at an IMAX. It was alright, I guess. The main characters were really hard to understand though. Maybe the sound design was off there.

I had no problem in a normal cinema, so it sounds like the usual bad audio mixing that plagues modern film.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah there's an interview with Peele where he pretty much says "yeah race informs all my movies but this one was chiefly about the danger of spectacle"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forest spirit posted:

The supporting cast were all capable and watching the film it seems like Peele got exactly what he wanted out of each of them.

What's crazy is that he got something completely different to what he initially wanted out of Brandon Perea. Angel was originally written as more comedic and offbeat, Perea auditioned him as acting like every person that's ever worked a lovely retail job and it made Peele laugh so hard he changed the character and some of the events that happened to him in the film.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

well why not posted:

What a fun and imaginitive take on the "giant monster" and "ufo" topics. Peele is so clever.

https://twitter.com/behind_pics/status/1565082476070019079

This is Terry Notary and all he does is mocap/movement coordination, and a LOT of it is ape related.

Also in this photo you can see how they scaled up the set to make him chimp sized in the shot.

EDIT: At least I heard they did that, the background wall looks regular size so idk

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 2, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I want a ranch with a fake horse and a jeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

jacket

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Scissorfighter posted:

I didn't really get sold on the idea that all the IMAX footage was destroyed and the characters all knew that, but I can just roll with that pretty easily. Still an extremely rewarding rewatch experience.

They saw the hide get destroyed when Holst got eaten so I figure they couldn't assume the film was still intact. Hell, they probably didn't even know if Angel was alive.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I made a joke earlier in the thread about Jupe sending his kids over to prank OJ but honestly I don't even think he did that. I think the kids did that on their own, probably after hearing their parents talk about the statue being stolen. They're just a rowdy buncha kids with access to weird alien costumes in the middle of nowhere and they want to gently caress around but there's literally one other property within walking distance.

That's how I read it too. I don't think Jupe has any real ill will towards OJ and Em, even if they did "borrow" one of his horse statues. He's got other things on his mind.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lemon posted:

If Jupe's plan had gone correctly, he would've likely been the focus of the entire world's media for a period of time. As an ex-star about to be centre stage once again, he was probably feeling magnanimous.

It's called Jupiter's Claim because it's his claim to fame

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Tibalt posted:

I'm disappointed that Keith David had as little film time as he got

AFAIK this is why Keith David was actually cast. The character has a short amount of film time, so had to be played by someone who'd instantly make an impact and show why their loss hovers over the two leads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

anatomi posted:

I wasn't sure until the second viewing, and I guess I still ain't, but in the last act when OJ yells at Em to get out of there, it's a dub over of Keith David's voice, right?

I just listened to that section a couple of times and I don't think it's a dub over, but it does sound like Daniel Kaluuya doing a Keith David impression and I can't tell if it's a deliberate choice or not.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

davidspackage posted:

when the 'ship' comes down on the stage show and I thought what the gently caress, is it a giant cowboy hat

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I also have a theory that they're partially inspired by Sachiel, the first angel in Neon Genesis Evangelion

Because Jordan Peele is a huge nerd (and he's mentioned in interviews that he took some inspiration from EVA).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

If Jordan peele likes Eva I guess I'll finally watch it

It's a bit of a rough watch but the central premise is "hey maybe we shouldn't make teenagers pilot giant biomechanical robots to fight literal angels because it'll gently caress them up"

The main character is super depressed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

VFX breakdown, almost every shot has sky replacement in it.

https://www.vfxvoice.com/there-is-horror-in-the-clouds-in-nope/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I do think there's an interesting conversation to be had about whether Peele's exploiting a tragedy himself though

I think this is a valid criticism for sure, and I'd love to hear him answer this question.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Why do you think it's valid?

Criticism? I'm going to say the film was as effective because of the exploitation.

I love Nope but it's also important to examine media, especially one where of the themes is exploitation of tragedy.

Here's Charla Nash, the mutilated survivor of the real life horrific chimp attack

And here's Mary Jo, the survivor of the horrible chimp attack in Nope.

I think the question "is it appropriate to draw such obvious parallels to a real person's situation for the purposes of entertainment" worth asking, especially when the film is making points about exploitation. Nash's story has been sucked up and spit out in a new form. I don't have an answer apart from "it's complicated", and I think tbh I think the only opinion that really matters here would be Nash's.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The events are very different except both involved a chimp and ended in people being hurt.

The events are different but the image of Mary Jo is very similar to Nash is my point, it's drawing on her tragedy. And it's not like she's a long-dead historical figure, she's still alive and was still undergoing reconstructive surgeries as late as 2011.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...okay am I the only one looking at Mary Jo's veil like...

drat, I never caught that, the billowing fabric echoing Jean Jacket's unfolding

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 20, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

forest spirit posted:

Nash's opinion matters as much as the next person. She doesn't have ownership over anything in the film. If it's complicated I don't know what the complication is

I mean the complication is that if someone based a character on you and an extremely traumatic event that left you blind and disfigured you might have a few things to say about it (and I think your opinion would matter more than some rando), but...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really think Nope comes across as an exploitation movie and I don't personally think anything in the messaging makes it exploitative either. I do think it's interesting to think about whether Peele has become the thing he's railing against, creating spectacle and hanging entertainment on a real tragedy, and whether or not that was part of the point.

...this sums up my thoughts on the whole thing. No-one's cancelling Peele, it's just a discussion point, because Nope is a crazy good movie that warrants analysis and discussion.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is an interesting discussion since the characters describe capturing the entity as the "Oprah shot" and Oprah's the one who asked Nash to reveal her face and the extent of her horrific injuries on her show.

drat, that's a deep cut

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MisterFister posted:

Just thought I’d post my Halloween costume this year.

I hope you offered everyone at the party fist-bumps

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NOPE doesn't need a sequel, but gently caress it.

A different kind of UAP that acts like an angler fish, with weird humanoid figures that lure people in. It's very hard to spot the translucent tendrils that extend from their heads into the clouds...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

King Kong was a puppet

yeah man, a puppet of the system

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ramen Pride! posted:

Then it hit me on a scene re-watch.where Holst climbed the hill to film Jean Jacket,

"This dream you're chasing, where you end up at the top of the mountain, all eyes on you... it's the dream you never wake up from."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

Just watched this one, I forgot that when we first saw OJ he didn't like to look people in the eye - that was cute.

I've read a few people say that OJ is coded as autistic - difficulties with eye contact and social situations, much more comfortable with animals, a few small tics etc.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

By the end that's pretty much all gone and having his character arc being that he cured his autism by being more confident would be pretty lovely.
:confused:
The situations at the end of the movie involve all of OJ's specific skills and none of the things that make him uncomfortable. He knows how animals think, he knows how to ride a horse, and that's all he needs to deal with Jean Jacket. He's always had an understanding with his sister, and Angel has been around enough that he's comfortable with him now. Holst is the only odd element out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kinda lovely that Nope got completely overlooked by the Oscars, not even a Sound Design nomination.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m kind of surprised that people are, well, surprised. This is absolutely not the kind of movie that the Academy goes for.

For the big categories, but usually movies like Nope get thrown a bone in technical categories. I'm surprised that it didn't even get that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A little thread necromancy but NASA released the Final Report from their UAP Independent Study team, as well as a media briefing/Q&A about the report.

The TLDR is that the report found no evidence to suggest any reported UAP sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin, but also they also have some cases that are still unexplained and they'd like to study UAPs from a position of science rather than sensationalism.

I found it amusing that the "none of the sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin" wording fits into the theory that Jean Jacket's species has always been from Earth. Plus the idea that NASA are trying to remove the spectacle.

Of course they're also requesting that any pilots who have an encounter with UAPs gather as much data as possible. Can't have the Oprah Shot if the response is "yeah we know"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jupe could have killed Jean Jacket at any time by just strapping a bunch of explosives to a horse.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

They need to find a way to make a Jean jacket drone to fly over

that would be incredible, everyone staring up at it :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Nope
nope nope nope