Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Angel messed up reloading the hand crank film, right?

Was anyone else unable to not see the UFO as a big old cowboy hat viewed from below, absurdly coming down to land on your head? I'm not saying it's intentional, I just couldn't shake the impression at times.

I found myself looking away from the screen a bit when OJ would avoid making eye contact with the thing.

Man vs Nature/Jaws is the element of the movie I'd been rolling around in my head; the final act was something new from Peele and it makes me even more excited to see his next film because he's showing he can expand his range as a film maker without losing his touch with horror.

Both Jupe and Angel made a very bad first impression but rise to the occasion by the end, gotta be intentional.

I don't see how turning off a electric bike, what, makes it come to a full stop, but also the bike is fine afterwards, no bent handlebars, no snapped levers, really? That's improbable, if it's going so fast that the rider being thrown off is mortally wounded, the bike is going to get hosed up as it slides. I'd hoped she was going to fetch her own old (kick start) dirt bike and have a Terminator 2 call back when she has to restart it after a power loss. - it'd be an echo to needing the old cameras.

It's simultaneously true that chimpanzees aren't as strong as popularly thought but also they can attack and kill/main even a grown man. There's plenty of anecdotes of grown men being attacks by chimps and none of them that I know of end with "so I beat the poo poo out of that little monkey". Maybe a 200lb+ man that has time to find a shovel, bat, or other solid weapon, but if you're just hanging out near a chimp when it's little switch flips, you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

There are multiple examples of grown men fighting off chimps bare handedly,

Link please, if you don't mind; I've googled a few articles since the movie and haven't found any such accounts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Found quite a few last year the last time Reddit was doing the (false) chimps are 4x as strong as a man stuff, when it's a lot less and the weight makes a large difference:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40405026

Thank you, I was getting flooded with the same junk articles reacting to that poll.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I was just reading the TVtropes page for the film, and It says that Holst took the hand cranked footage with him when he ran off? But that’s not what happened, surely? He shot one reel of not much, had to change film container, Angel put in the new reel, and then Holst took off with a smaller camera, leaving Angel to film with the big one. So they definitely got footage on that one, and Holst’s small camera may have survived too.

Well, there were no good shots in the first reel, and Angel put the second reel in wrong, so the first camera didn't get the Oprah shot. The harness camera was both obscured the whole time and would have been lost/destroyed by the leviathan if it'd not been killed, so no Oprah shot there. This makes the final scene necessary and its reward, beyond killing the beast, genuine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Are you sure that reel was wrong? I didn't hear him answer when they kept asking about the footage.

All I got from that scene for sure is that he saw what some cinematographers see as that perfect light right at sun-up/sunset and had to go in and get that perfect shot.

I'm not sure: I thought (but can't double check) that when angel fetched the second reel and placed it into the crank camera, the end of the roll of film hit the frame of the camera when being inserted and fell off it's little guide, so it's not being spooled when cranked.

If that happened, neither of them noticed. The cinematographer wasn't looking down at the cemera to double check him and it happened on the far side of the reel from Angel, who also was clearly a little uncertain about how to insert the film, the actor/character hesitated for a second.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno about y'all but I knew it was a monster eating things when it picked up the first horse that screamed bloody murder

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaddish posted:

This is a perfectly fine answer because much like Us, Nope and a lot of horror/sci-fi movies, applying logic shatters the illusion and isn't the point.

Are you sure because The Algorithm seems to think I want to see any of the hundreds of NOPE EXPLAINED videos.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Her father didn't think she could handle Jean Jacket, but her brother knew she could handle Jean Jacket.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I had the same surreal realization during the movie; I wanted to elbow someone next to me and ask "it looks like a hat right? right??"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
are the deaths the two parents? I think that'd account for all the actors in the scene?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

By the end of the experience you feel like poo poo

:eyepop:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In the first scene where OJ goes out looking for what ends up being JJ, in the daytime, is he already not looking directly at it? At the time I thought he was just not noticing but then he remarks that he didn't think it was a ship., which was a conclusion I'd reached when it ate the horse statue.

It's been some time now and I can't recall the exact scene order. The horse statue at night is after the day time look around but before the "not a ship" speculation?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That gets complicated when you consider the possibility the thread mentioned earlier, that the script was written much earlier - it's a curious phenomenon of the passage of time how the context of the narrative changes if it's located in the present as opposed to ten years ago.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My GF loves Sabrina and still watches it and I've seen a few bits of it second hand it's charming; it's not revolutionary TV but it's absolutely no Full House or whatever. The demographic, tween girls(?) Could have done a lot worse, it's not so bad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's exactly my response to the theory, it's not supported or foreshadowed anywhere in the movie. I thought we might end up with ghosts or visions of Keith David but his only "appearance" is clearly very normal, very sane reminiscing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been meaning to ask, are these real horses? Because I'd assumed they were and that it added a meta layer, because, you know, they're horse training experts working in a medium that increasingly disregards them in favor of CGI both in the movie and in real life, so the climatic run of Lucky has double meaning? Like, when Lucky takes off and I assume some stunt man has his hoody pulled down, that's a triumph in and out of the movie? No?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, if OJ , or someone with his integrity and professionalism, had been working with Gordy, the rampage never would have happened.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The character that died "pointlessly" chose their death and was at peace with it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Her smile at the end, when waiting for the press, is artificial, but that's because she's about to launch into her spiel, her thing. She's tamed Jean jacket and now she's going to do the thing which, as she tried to tell her brother earlier, is her actual priority. He was facing losing the ranch, she clearly wasn't doing well wherever she was, and now, at the very least, their financial pressures are pretty much gone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh my God that's Top Dollar!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A telling element of Jupe's involvement with JJ is how his thoughts are on Gordy before the big debut. He's very, very aware of the similarities and he's extremely nervous - you can see him kind of center himself with his wife's help before putting on his showtime persona and going out. It's a very good scene for the actor, and especially nice to see since he's about to be leaving the film.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've resisted being that guy who smugly announces that the infamous scene didn't phase them, but I think I finally realized why, and that's a more useful topic to bring up:

It was so novel and surreal, that cross section view of the digestive process, and human beings drawn into it like Jonah and the whale, that I was sort of taken out of the movie and just sort of absorbed the scene without being immersed within it? I recall my mind racing with questions about the mechanics of how the process worked, and how novel it was to see it this way, that I almost didn't have time to really be bothered by it.

In contrast, in the finale, I found any shot of the creature from below, descending down towards the camera with its orifice pulsing, very uncomfortable and disconcerting. It reminds me of when you get a really clear look at the nastier parts of a non mamilian animal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There were title cards? drat I think I remember that now that you mention it but I'd entirely forgotten. Memory is weird :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I swear I pay attention at the movies!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I wonder if there is a link between the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and the whole concept of not looking at JJ.

*Me, staring fixedly down, while being menaced by Jean Jacket overhead.*

"I don't appreciate this."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I had a strong initial dislike of her based off that scene that also had to be overcome, probably also at the mantis scene.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd just assumed it was in the periphery of a suck up and got kind of cast aside, that happens to the protagonists more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is a sort of pointless aside but this thread is probably the best place I can ask this: what, uh, what happened to Jordan Peele's friend that did comedy with him? Their skits were always brilliant but now Jordan Peele is doing this and I never hear about the other guy (Keenan?). Was is sort of revealed that Jordan did most of the writing, and Keenan was "merely" a talented comedic actor? Did his career suffer unfair from the inevitable comparisons once Peele's movies took off? Are they still friends? You'd think there could be a cameo or something.

Edit: Google suggests they're still friends?