Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Just want to point something out real quick so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

The life-changing alien experience that Jupe had six months ago was the same life-changing experience that killed OJ and Em's dad and threw everything into disarray. He saw the monster suck up some random dude and decided to buy the show ranch and rebrand it as Jupiter's Claim after he saw the alien. He saw something incredible and decided to stake his fortune on it, risking whatever he had left from his acting career.

Whereas for OJ all he saw was of random bits of metal raining from the sky and killing an innocent bystander, the aftermath. (Even Ghost, the most valuable horse on the ranch, got wounded).

Also, when I was watching the Otis Senior death scene I imagined that it would be bullets from an Air Force jet that was pursuing the UFO falling uncaringly onto the landscape below. I did not expect a coin on the x-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

That had to be some explosive projectile diarrhea because a nickel falling at terminal velocity would not kill a man

Even if it hit him in the Eye?

vvv Edit: especially if it was a loooong drive from your ranch to the hospital vvv

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 7, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

He's been feeding it every Friday night for six months, in an attempt to train it to show up during his shows.

Anyway, the line about ownership of the tourist trap changing to Jupiter is super clear when OJ and Em are driving home after the commercial shoot.

Ultimately, it's not a huge point. I'll wait until it comes out on streaming to confirm one way or the other.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 7, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Imagine, if you will, the difference between dropping a cherry pit from shoulder height, and spitting it out.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Just learned about the theory that OJ doesn't survive, which I don't buy at all.

In addition to the reasons people have mentioned in the thread why this doesn't scan, I'll offer another reason I haven't seen anyone mention: It would ruin the bit where the horse named Lucky survives despite being offered as bait :haw:

At no point in the movie does anybody have any "visions" or dream sequence or drug trips. What people see is what is happening, they just have to interpret it correctly or not based on their biases. So either OJ survives or a reporter just happens to ride up on a black horse while wearing an orange hoodie.

It's a dumb theory from people who are eager to have the Horror Movie with a Downer Ending like an Ari Aster flick. Jordan Peele movies have so far tended to end with the heros bloody but victorious*. Also, let's not lie, the final act is way more action movie than horror movie.

*This is also why I lean towards the footage from the two hand-cranked cameras surviving. But that's less clear in the narrative.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

My exact point about people looking for a downer ending when there isn't one.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s a weird kind of victory.

Murdering your girlfriend, her brother, both her parents, and their maid & gardener, burning down their house, then driving off in your buddy's TSA cruiser back to New York is also a weird kind of victory.

Another weird kind of victory is to murder your doppelganger and escape with your family while millions of other "surface" Americans have been replaced by their underground double. Not sure how that will turn out for the Wilson family in the long run.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

No this is good actually.

They were bad people who deserved to die

Yes, but you can see how despite being triumphant in that moment, Chris faces an uncertain future dealing with the fallout from septuple homicide with an arson that covers the evidence of illegal brain swapping? Yet we accept the final scene of the movie as being a victory for him.

Same thing when Em and OJ face the media.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I had no problem at all with the dialogue, and I usually use subtitles at home. So that was completely a "your theater" problem.

Also, totally agree that the digestion scene wasn't scary. Almost comical, except for the screams

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Went for a cute "let's pull the sheets above our heads and be in a blanket fort" moment with my partner. Immediately got JJ digestion vibes and had to nope right out of there.

I think maybe you're not cut out for watching PG or above movies. Stick to G for a while

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That was 100% pure cringe. She was so unprofessional and annoying that I was looking forward to the aliens killing her up until the praying mantis scene.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I assume the Gordy's Home stuff was either the entire impetus of the movie or he was developing a story around that and a UFO story at the same time and realized they were both hitting the same themes and messages and combined them.

This is a question I would love to see him answer

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Jupe says that the hole is about the size of two school buses in his spiel at that Star Lasso Experience.

Average length of a school bus is 35 feet/10.6 meters, so JJ's maw is about approximately 70 ft/21.2 meters wide.

I assumed it was two school buses side-by-side, ie an oval shaped hole, but either way it's a big loving animal

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 4, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's also kind of a "don't waste your time trying to get the video, because I'm going public in 5 days"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's implied to be why Nobody works with chimps anymore.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Probably the eggs or larvae move through space and the adult form stays in atmospheres. Also, there are jellyfish that can revert to the larval stage when needed.

Or it could be of terrestrial origin and just previously unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's six months