Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sivart13 posted:

can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Even got the creepy little head tilts like Ricky's kids. I love that even though the movie was a big twist on the formula, we still got a conventional Greys scene, and a pretty spooky one as these things go. Right up until OJ decked one, which I'm always here for anyways.

Just to tie the knot on the whole "third act is Jaws" thing: Em doesn't need to say "Smile, you son of a-" before she takes her last shot and Jean Jacket detonates - that would have been over-the-top indulgence on Peele's part - but I'm kind of always going to mentally fill it in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pachylad posted:

Also I'm riding on the theory that Jean Jacket's species has been mistaken for angels

Oh, yeah, if they've been here for a while and they eat anyone who looks at them but pass over those who avert their gaze. Not just angels, but gods, perhaps.

Also hot drat Corey Hart and Gowan music in a major motion picture. The Gowan song is lyrically perfect for this movie, too.

If there's anything that doesn't sit right with me about the movie it's Gordy's Home being filmed in 1998. That is a late 80s high concept family sitcom.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw it again yesterday and picked up a few things that I missed the first time (or didn't quite get the dialog)

Like how when OJ and Em go back to the ranch for the first time after leaving the commercial, that loving cloud is in the shot the entire time, and framed so that it's right between them

Or how that night (or maybe the following night?) OJ starts making his own chrome mirrorball on a plunger like the one that Lucky startled on, so he can start training his horses to work on mocap sets

And poor Jupe, imagine being so traumatised that part of your coping mechanism is thinking Chris Kattan is funny

Phy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 31, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The Jean jacket remix is on the soundtrack

Also this is such a badass track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilp7qHb9U-A
Yeah I love that it seamlessly morphs from horror flick strings to big loving western music

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Compare this to Holst's Jupiter, from The Planets

Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0b4STz1lo

This one doesn't land for me so much as a connection, if only because it seems like every motion picture composer quotes Holst at some point. Especially Mars.

But I did notice the name the first time I saw it!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

i'm not usually one to nitpick what feel like plot holes, but this one genuinely bugs me: how do OJ and Emerald not know about the UFO if Steven Yeun is apparently hosting weekly ufo shows, which he apparently advertises and sells tickets for, right next door? In general, Yeun's story felt way too detached from OJ and Emerald's: like a parallel story when they should have been intersecting.

What we saw, the "friends and family showing" that Jupe invited them to, was the first public showing. He had been doing it later at night by himself for months trying to "earn the 'Viewers'' trust" / unwittingly train Jean Jacket on a diet of regularly supplied horses. You actually see the last of the preparatory shows when Ghost freaks out and runs to the bottom of the Haywood ranch.

That said, I don't know why OJ hadn't noticed Jupe's shenanigans before that. Maybe he just had his head down (thematically appropriate!) and focused on ranching after his dad died. Ranching's hard work.

E:

Famethrowa posted:

what I took from it, is that Yeun precipitated the events of the entire movie by leaving out food for the monster, because he had an unhealthy relationship with animal "costars". kind of a grizzly man situation.

Exactly.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 3, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah despite his massive animal-related PTSD Jupe is a man who did not grow up having it hammered into him that a fed bear is a dead bear.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

Kid Sheriff

Yknow, for a movie that is pretty good about conserving its narrative detail, we never did find out what happened to the black kid from that

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a Bobby Lovgren credited as Head Wrangler on imdb, and his notable work is a lot of other horse movies and TV shows, so my guess is yes, real-rear end horses were at least at some points present on set

I'm looking forward to hearing stuff from the cast and crew about the filming, tbh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: nm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

deety posted:

The part of this that was the most chilling to me in Nope wasn't the shots of the victims inside JJ, it was the fact that you could track it by the sounds of screaming.

Compare how loud the TMZ guy's screams are when he endos his bike, to how much louder they are coming from inside Jean Jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

This is the reason. The pay off is OJ thinking back to the way lucky reacted to the silver ball, looking herself in the eye.

He remembered the way she reacted to eye contact

Yup. Iirc the plungerball itself never shows up after the scene where OJ makes it, but the script does point out that he sees the reflection of the light coming on in the stables in it when Jupe's kids are messing with him