Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I really couldn't get over how incredibly tasteless it was for Jordan Peele (we're talking beyond Takashi Miike or Gaspar Noe level tbh) to have his Signs riff have a subplot based on the Travis chimpanzee attack with a character appear on screen directly based on the woman who got her faced ripped off. How was nobody there to tell him maybe that wasn't the best idea.
I guess it's okay hahaha!!! She doesn't have eyes anymore so she can't see your mid sci-fi movie hahaha!

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s a worthwhile discussion but if anyone is going to poo-poo any film that references, portrays, or utilizes real world tragedy you are essentially disarming every artists ability to process the world they live in. It can quickly become a can they vs. should they discussion but pretending these references don’t happen constantly in all forms of fiction is bizarre.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ruddiger posted:

I think that denying the films roots in exploitation is not only more damaging, it’s attempting to obfuscate the truth of history. No one is trying to poo poo on your lols by pointing out this movie has ties to real world tragedies, but denying the movie’s ties to those realities is tantamount to rewriting the origins of these stories.

Not sure how you got that from my post- I’m specifically saying that this move, like so much of fiction, is tied to real life events/tragedy, nothing is created in a vacuum, and that is a valid expression of the artists free will to do so not something I would attempt to change or deny.

I was referring that original weird aggro-post that seemingly dismissed the whole film because of that particular reference

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 20, 2022

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MisterFister posted:

Just thought I’d post my Halloween costume this year.

:discourse:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

That was the impression I had at first, but I think it's more a combination of him being uncomfortable being the showman, him still being very upset about his father's death, and generally being used to avoiding eye contact with animals. By the end that's pretty much all gone and having his character arc being that he cured his autism by being more confident would be pretty lovely.

I think he is most certainly a socially awkward guy. I definitely didn’t read the ending as “curing” him. His arc, to me, was that he finally became the animal trainer that his father was, and he proved it by being able to guide Lucky through an incredible situation and by “breaking” Jean Jacket. No impression that he will ever be a showman like his father or sister, instead his skill set is his understanding of animal behavior. What about his personality changed by the end? Did he even speak in the last 20 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I felt he was carrying himself more confidently and overall holding eye contact (with people) more comfortably, I took it as him understanding himself and finding confidence in his skills with animals and with people. In retrospect it makes me think his behavior and mannerisms in the beginning are less an innate part of him and more a response to what he's been through so far; if it was supposed to be him being on the autism spectrum I would have thought that'd continue throughout the movie rather than being something he kind of grows out of.

I think OJ looking more confident was a result of him feeling more comfortable in the role of animal wrangler and not salesman/showman/being on set. His skillset in that department was what was needed by the situation and he rose to the occasion. He was able to hold eye contact and such during that situation because it’s a situation he completely understands, unlike many of the previous scenarios he was placed in. I didn’t read or notice his personality as changing drastically, I think he is still the same OJ in most ways but isn’t a square peg in a round hole anymore.