Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

poor ole jean jacket, thought of a balloon and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

What are people's view on the final shot? did OJ actually survive or was that just a vision from Em? It doesn't actually matter much but I'm kinda surprised it's not discussed more than it is

on the one hand i can see why there's debate over whether OJ is alive or dead, but i for one choose to believe he's alive -- not just because it makes for a happier ending (although that is a significant portion of it!), but also because him being dead undermines the whole thing he was doing with jean jacket right there at the end. he wasn't presenting himself as a tasty snack to distract the alien away from em (even though i DO believe he was fully prepared to sacrifice himself in that moment, if it came to it); he was returning the creature's dominance display, partly to hold its attention and partly to stand up to it in its own language. at that moment it had already been spooked by the flags, then injured by the barbed wire, and while it's not made 100% clear why it started to change shape afterward, i think it was performing a threat display to make itself seem bigger and more dominant in response to whatever the gently caress had just hurt it, and the only thing left to do in response to that was to let it know that there was an even bigger threat right in front of it. or something. that's just what i believe, anyhow

more importantly: OJ = orange juice = orange hoodie = coincidence????????????

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

Martman posted:

With the weird pulsing squares of film-like substance, I like to imagine JJ itself was taking pictures of OJ to try to figure out what the hell he is

yeah, this makes a lot of sense to me too! that the square thing is its actual "eye", like an old-timey camera, and is the point of view through which we saw both the very opening of the film and the starlight lasso audience getting sucked up, and that the pulsating flaps are it "taking a picture" to see what's going on. i also like the idea that it's a mesmerizing sort of display, as cuttlefish have been observed to do while hunting crabs. there's just so much going on with this thing and i wanna know more! i love it!!!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

hi, so, i can't imagine there's a huge audience for this particular crossover of interests, but because i have terminal nerd brain, i was compelled to translate jean jacket and all her behaviors into a dungeons & dragons (fifth edition) encounter:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-N825u51BKF6AB91qU0s

i drew up basically the entire statblock like a few days after i saw it in theaters, but it wasn't until i could pin down the flavor text from repeat viewings (and the scientific paper!) that i felt good about sharing it with others. constructive feedback is welcome ofc, i just hope it's cool and not stupid. or at the very least, cool AND stupid

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it has hypnosis powers or anything, it's a wild animal and might view eye contact as a threat. It's not going to trick people into looking at it any more than a gorilla would.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can see that as a concession to gameplay, since as has been discussed, even a decently armed adventuring party would probably figure out how to kill JJ with conventional weapons pretty easily. Cuttlefish also do the mesmerising display thing.

yes, this was exactly my thinking! especially with regards to the cuttlefish, as it's been mentioned in some articles that direct inspiration for JJ was taken from the cuttlefish's ability to mesmerize its prey :) mechanically, i was going for a combination of the Frightening Presence that dragons always have and the Hypnotic Pattern spell.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Awesome work, absolutely terrifying, would rather fight a demon lord than this. Your descriptive text mentions an audible popping sound that accompanies JJ, and that it's for unknown reasons. I wonder if it's to intentionally draw attention and cause prey animals to suddenly stand still and look around for the source. If they correctly locate that it is above them and then turn their eyes skyward to ascertain the potential threat, JJ has them dead to rights; standing still and looking right at up at it. Leads me to ponder whether that might make an interesting ambush mechanic. Characters who don't know what JJ is/don't know what to expect might get idk disadvantage on initiative for succeeding on a Perception check or something. Or maybe it would make more sense for them to be the only valid targets of the ambush cause JJ can't see anyone who doesn't look at it, and any non-lookers would only get sucked up if they were in proximity to lookers.

thank you :shobon:!!! i've seen some speculation that the popping/clicking noise is some kind of echolocation, and i included that detail in a first draft, but ultimately took it out to cut down on length. i'm really curious to see whether the full scientific description confirms that, or if it mentions the sound at all -- like, since the eye is tucked away in its innards most of the time, maybe it echolocates to find its way around? or maybe the oft-mentioned notch is indeed some kind of pinhole camera that it uses to see? it seems to me like it must have some capacity to see out through the opening it sucks stuff up into, since how else would it recognize a pair of eyeballs looking directly back at it, but maybe it can detect that through some other method? i don't know!!! i love it!!!