Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nessus posted:

I thought it had the fake horse clogging its throat which is why he did the blood rain. I assume it had to 'spit out' undigestible items but there wasn't a blood rain to come with the weird nickel rain that got Otis Sr. -- just metal.

Presumably it was able to completely digest or 'reduce to unidentifiable lumps' things other than metal and plastic.

In the scene just before it spews the blood chunks, you can hear the people screaming, then JJ does a very visible scrunch motion and the screams stop.

So yeah I agree, the horse statue clogged it up, JJ realized and spat everything up- but had to liquefy the people first to aid this motion, I guess. As opposed to this being its natural digestion process, or an act of revenge on the Haywoods specifically.

The question is 'why on the Haywood house'? Just marking its territory? Revenge?
But also interesting is the last known time it spat up indigestible items was also over the Haywood ranch, AND that it possibly hung out just next to them for months without bothering them. Even in the final scene, it only responded when Em played the signal- it was fine with them running around all day setting up the WWIAFTM

I've got a few theories:

1) JJ is generally nocturnal, or prefers overcast skies, which fits with its ambush/camouflage style. The exceptions would be strange circumstances, namely indigestion from the hiker's belongings, and Em playing a lure-call, both of which prompted it to move in broad daylight with no cover.

2a) JJ considered the Haywood ranch to be its 'lair'- a place to poo poo and sleep, but not to hunt, for fear of attracting attention to where it sleeps.

2b) Alternative to the previous, JJ simply didn't realize there were horses to grab from the Haywood's. OJ probably had them inside at night, and JJ wasn't active enough during the day to realize. This only changed during the movie, first when Ghost was still outside for some reason, and then when Clover/the statue were also outside later on.

Ghost being outside is a bit of a mystery- did OJ forget? Did Ghost escape and decide to go hang out in the corral? Did Jupe's kids let him out, like Clover, although at this point I don't think they had reason to. Perhaps this is another 'bad miracle', an unlikely coincidence that brought JJ to the Haywood's attention... and them to its.

3) JJ didn't take any other humans in between the hikers and the film, as it would've poo poo the keys and coins on the ranch and that wasn't mentioned. Nor did it take horses directly from the Haywoods, as that would've been mentioned as well. Likely it was solely subsisting on horses from Jupe for the last few months.

4) Why did JJ arrive early to the Star Lasso show? Was it still hungry because the statue stopped it from digesting Clover + other horse? Just upset at the stomach pain? Though when it grabbed the people I agree with some other posters that was likely because they were looking at it, more so than because it was hungry. Why did it hang around long enough for OJ to arrive- too full from the people, feeling territorial, still trying to get Lucky?

5) JJ was starving during the final scene, having had to spit out its previous haul of the Star Lasso experience audience. Possibly the last meal it had was Clover and/or the horse it got from Jupe that night. So that's why it moved during the day and generally seemed pretty aggressive, rather than because it was mad at the Haywoods and co. (Remember they set up all the tube guys without issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wouldn't its last meal have been the TMZ guy or Holst?

Last meal previous to eating those guys. I'm going under the assumption that JJ is nocturnal, so coming out during the day is unusual, driven by it being very hungry since it lost its last few meals.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

NOPES, have a whole fleet of JJ.

Nope

Noooope

Nopenopenope

hell no

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010