Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Segue posted:

I'm interested in what people thought of the third act which I've seen described as the film's failing. I thought it was a bit unsubtle but actively focuses on that primary film capture goal and ways of being seen, hyperfocus of modern society on that and overall it just creates a beautifully tense spectacle as the alien unfurls completely. I loved it and everyone else seems to hate it. Ah well.

The third act is good but it feels like there's five minutes missing to set it up. Peele did a good job of calling back to the cinematographer (no pun intended) earlier on but then he just kind of shows up. But then I also think Peele did a poor job of working Angel as well but that happens early on enough that it doesn't ultimately matter much. I really liked it btw. I guess that just makes the little parts where it didn't quite work more frustrating.

The callback to the beginning when Gordy looks at the camera and we find out he's actually looking at Jupe was very unsettling. And the way Peele used jump scares to add tension before the first big attack was really well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’m fairly sure Gordy was CGI, which had the effect of being really loving deep in the uncanny valley.

Played by the same guy who played Kong in Skull Island. And a chimp in the Planet movies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Did they show Jean Jacket's unfurling? It felt like one second it was the floating eyeball and the next it had all the big sails out. Did I miss something?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looking back, it's pretty messed up that they put her in the trailer out of context. It came off like it's supposed to be freaky.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

yuen killed it, its amazing how skillfully he uses the showman mask to recontextualize his trauma

we all knew kaluuya could act, but he had every nuance of a ranch guy down--you can tell how out of depth OJ is when it comes to the business side of things; he's all in on the training and care of the horses. his body language, his gait, his curt way of speaking, it's all so real

His physical performance was amazing. He conveyed OJ's sadness with just his body language.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If he doesn't take the film, his "You don't deserve the impossible" line doesn't make much sense.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phy posted:

If there's anything that doesn't sit right with me about the movie it's Gordy's Home being filmed in 1998. That is a late 80s high concept family sitcom.

That and the dad making a run for it. It's believable that someone in that situation would try but it's also one of those yelling at the screen horror movie things.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

deety posted:

A friend and I recently went to a roadside attraction that was at someone's house, and one of the people who ran it invited us to look at the behind-the-scenes area of one of the displays. We went through an old junk room to a small, enclosed space with the host standing between us and the exit, which had a padlock hooked outside the door.

We knew there was one other guest around, there were windows big enough to get out through, and it didn't feel sketchy at all. But later my friend and I talked about how we just walked into a horror movie murder room because a stranger asked us to and we didn't want to seem rude.

I wouldn't follow a creepy sound into a basement, but apparently there are levels of dumb movie poo poo that I will do if the alternative is socially awkward.

I hadn't thought about it before but Fincher did something like this in Zodiac and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are there any other movies where the unidentified object is a whole alien?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If you take out Gordy, Jupe becomes just a red shirt.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

buglord posted:

How does this movie (and Get Out) compare to Us? I havent seen Us yet but upon reflection I think Get Out was the more enjoyable experience for me.

I rewatched Us after Nope and it was a lot sillier than I remember. Winston Duke's character undercuts every scene he's in with comedy, even when he's fighting for his life. And you really have to suspend disbelief, even for a movie like this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Where did people think it was going to go as the film unfolded?

From the opening scene: the empty studio first made me think this was taking place after the events of the film, that an invasion or mass abduction had taken place, and we’d loop back around to this point again.

I assumed some sort of mind control by the aliens.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
But they only succeed when they look at it. OJ refused to leave early and then went back after they escaped to Angel's apartment. And then they were able to get it to Jupe's by both looking at it. In the theater, I assumed Peele was saying something about trauma/grief and having to acknowledge it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Jurassic Park is what came to mind while I was watching it specifically because of the spectacle.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
OJ and Em's entire motivation is to make money because they're being forced to sell off their legacy and people think them succeeding in the money making operation that they planned for most of the movie is bad?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

The only thing about that is if we accept the reward amount Em throws out is accurate then they’d be making 100k, minus costs and repairs, possibly split three ways if they share with Angel. That might not be a lot of money for a functioning horse ranch, and in the larger scheme of things a payday doesn’t reverse the downward trajectory their corner of the industry was heading in even before the events of the film. Absolute best case scenario, given the information we’re get in the movie, is that OJ lets Em manage the exploitation of the catastrophe, she does a good job, and they maybe segue that into some kind of other career.

It’s a weird kind of victory.

I don't think Angel is a full partner.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If Peele the writer intended for the ending to be bittersweet, Peele the director must've missed it because there's nothing in the filmmaking language that suggests that it's a bittersweet ending. Everything ends pretty triumphantly.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

1stGear posted:

A darkly amusing thought occurred to me: the Gordy's Home "fanbase" is probably completely obsessed with finding the footage of the attack.

Or the Traces of Death people.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

What Jupe remembers mostly is him helplessly hiding while his first crush is savagely beaten and mauled by a chimp, his co-star trying to somewhat heroically save her only for the ape to attack him

This makes a lot of sense. Watching the movie I thought he was just trying to escape, which seemed too stupid for a Peele movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is Terry Notary and all he does is mocap/movement coordination, and a LOT of it is ape related.

Also in this photo you can see how they scaled up the set to make him chimp sized in the shot.

EDIT: At least I heard they did that, the background wall looks regular size so idk

"The ape guy" is a pretty cool career to have. And it seems like he works nonstop.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not like Peele was endorsing chimp attacks. He based a scene in his horror movie on a real life horrific incident, which seems pretty common.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also I’m pretty sure that’s not the only story of a chimp going berserk and mutilating someone

It's not uncommon but Nope is clearly referencing the Travis the chimp attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Considering how layered Peele's movies are, there's no way the Charla Nash references are a coincidence in a movie that hinges on getting "the Oprah shot."