Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nessus posted:

That dude freaked me out because that was the exact time you'd expect the Men in Black to show up.

Film was astonishing. I was a little janked around by some of the editing but I really appreciated everything by the end, it really threaded together. It seemed clear to me that the entity left because OJ stared it down. No one else had done so. I was not sure at that far of a remove if Otis Sr. had seemed to be looking at something or just looked up, then, well.

More specifically, OJ stared it down after it was already wounded and going into threat display. It viewed him as actually dangerous to it, but he was also backing away while staring, so it wasn't backed into a corner and didn't lash out.

It was intimidated by the balloon, something roughly its own size, as well, but the balloon kept approaching even during the threat display so it attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, that and both OJ and Em were trying to attract it's attention to let the other escape, and OJ finally gives in and lets Em take the lead wrangling her own Jean Jacket, calling back to when their father took that opportunity away from her. The scene was much more of a 'I trust you / you got this' between brother and sister than forcing Jean Jacket to back down.

Yes, this is the narrative function of the scene. I was responding to a post about the in universe behavior of the creature that has been explained as being a wild predator.