Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So wait, did Gordy kill EVERYONE in the studio except the kid? There were people in the studio audience that seemed pretty still, not sure if they were just cowering like Jupe or got mauled to death. The parents definitely got killed and the sister got horribly mutilated, but there were a lot of other people there, wouldn't most of them flee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The lady having the maimed face was sad, but what's really stuck with me is that she had on a sweatshirt (in the desert) that had a picture of her younger self on it. Jesus, that just really hit me as so loving tragic.

How about the fact that Jupe had his employees uniforms the exact same pattern as Gordy's sweater? :stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was thinking more about Jean Jackets physiology. Based on the way it moves its "body" is incredibly thin and light. For as big as it looks I bet it has very little actual mass.

I'm guessing it's tissue has some chimeric properties, able to transform into flight, disguise, or digestive tissue as needed. While it gets low to the ground, it never touches the ground and I'm betting it can't afford to risk getting snagged or pinned underneath something. I think it moves by emitting some kind of energy, probably related to the emp effect. Since it's so light, this allows it to move very fast and very quietly. It also has enough reserve strength to keep itself aloft after eating 40 people and a bunch of assorted junk. It obviously can't digest inorganic matter and whatever physical process involved in digestion isn't destructive enough to break the fake horse or mobility scooter. It's also surprisingly fragile, since the parade balloon apparently killed it when it popped? Those things only need to be under enough pressure to stay rigid so it can't be that much force.

Why the UFO shape? Could be out of practicality, the flattened shape might be well suited for quickly moving around, or it needs that shape to effectively "eat" as it seems to form a little tornado in the process of sucking up meals. Disguising itself as a cloud and hunting at night suggest it normally gets preyed on by something else. It apparently has good enough "vision" to find its way around and is somehow aware when things are looking at it (which suggests it's used to creatures with a pair of round eyes).

Unfurling itself into that massive form could be some kind of threat display. The float is the only flying thing that JJ interacted with. If it was really scared it would just zip away but it got close and investigated it. Something about fluttery material freaks it out (no idea if this was association of the fake horse it choked on, or some instinctive behavior since the creature itself can do fluttery gestures). So maybe it associates it as some territorial display or warning. Or maybe it was just horny and tried to hump the balloon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something else I was contemplating-we all have a good laugh at idea of poor Freckles thinking of ants and dying. Horses are scared of dumb things from a human perspective; someone arbitrarily standing behind them? Their own reflection? Part of the training they do for horses for many purposes is to desensitize them from these benign things.

But then take the antagonist of the film itself. A big flying thing. Except that humans are pretty used to big flying things. But this one is just wrong. It sounds wrong, it moves wrong, it's there and then it's not. Jean Jacket ended up being incredibly fragile, easy to bait, easy to scare off. But it's appearance, it's sounds, and it's behavior is terrifying. Now the vast majority of the time you can avoid getting attacked by such a creature by simply staying indoors-while it can vacuum up some materials it's fragile structure means it's the equivalent of us licking up broken glass to get at a chicken tendy.

Humans are interesting in how they process fear compared to most other animals. Given our capacity to learn it is the unknown that is scary and understanding the unknown can help make sense of things. I mean think about it - Once Jean Jacket's existence is discovered by humanity at large, that species is hosed. A whole new generation of Jupes will be leading hunting expeditions to blast these things out of the sky. It won't be scary, it will be a novelty like Jupe always wanted Jean Jacket to be. .

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, I think most people were thinking about the movie title and the cliche about how underprivileged (black people, typically) protagonists tend to be more wary in movies. It can feel good to have a character look at something mysterious or scary and just go, "Nope." and don't touch the pulsating alien egg/mysterious artifact/screaming ghost/etc. And then get a safe distance. Get Out played on this too-white people are dangerous, white people that are way too friendly are definitely dangerous.

I was half expecting the movie to be about a horror movie that happens in the background, like OJ sees Jean Jacket for the first time, decides, "Nope" and the whole rest of the movie is about how his decision is vindicated as stupid and overly credulous white people get gobbled up by a hungry ufo monster.

There was also the gag where OJ sees the "aliens" and his reaction to seeing an alien suspending from the ceiling is to punch it in the head. This is a throwback to a hugely popular funny home video during Halloween where a guy in a scarecrow costume is startling trick or treaters, but when he startles this black guy the black guy just instinctively decks him before realizing it was a prank. While some of the humor in this can be racist, assuming that's the only response a black person will think to do in that situation, there's lots of poc audiences that laughed pretty hard at the circumstances too, perhaps relating to the fact that the black guy simply couldn't risk it simply being "just a prank" and reacted with violence due to being more likely to have to defend against an actual physical ambush.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of Gordy, where the hell was Gordy's trainer when things popped off?

Also, I had heard that the chimps they typically use in film /TV are juveniles specifically because they are less aggressive. The RL story of the woman who had her face chewed off by a pet chimp was an adult I think she had raised from a baby but the attack was not out of nowhere-he had been progressively more aggressive as he matured and the lady had apparently been giving him (human) benzos or tranquilizers to keep him under control.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Jupe and his family reminded me of that balloon boy hoax that happened years ago, where everyone thought some kid was trapped in a balloon that floated off and the news was following it very closely for a little while. The balloon looked ufo shaped as well, and it had turned out the guy was pitching some show on TLC about his family around the same time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ngl I wanna see that SNL sketch now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Polo-Rican posted:

I enjoyed this movie a lot, but it actually made me feel the same way I felt watching "Us." I loved the first half, was thinking "this is the greatest film I've ever seen" during the earlier action setpieces, but then ended up feeling vaguely unsatisfied by the end as the film got messier and moved towards the finale.

i'm not usually one to nitpick what feel like plot holes, but this one genuinely bugs me: how do OJ and Emerald not know about the UFO if Steven Yeun is apparently hosting weekly ufo shows, which he apparently advertises and sells tickets for, right next door? Imho, Yeun's story felt too detached from OJ and Emerald's: like a parallel story when they should have been intersecting. Given the weight they give the Gordy backstory, I expected a lot more from that character
The show that got everyone abducted was the first public show, the others were "rehearsals". The scene where you can see the stadium lights turn off in the distance was one of them I think. Basically Jupe saw Jean Jacket nom on one of the horses, got curious and started feeding the thing. Once he discovered it's "routine" he started planning the show. That's also why he wasn't more pissed about them stealing the fake horse and why he invited them, he figured he was about to get his Oprah shot soon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's that libertarian township in NH only instead of a bear some old lady is feeding Jean Jacket donuts and just shrugging when the sugar crazed ufo monster is turning everyone's yard inside out looking for sweets.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I know about the Gordy incident before I saw the movie but having that "spoiler" actually ADDED to the tension. Because I didn't know exactly how it would play out. It's like reading a spoiler for Alien thats basically "The alien attacks the crew while they were eating and kills one of them". You know one of them is going to die but you don't know exactly how it will happen.

And the scene thats playing at the time has the cast so visibly uncomfortable which just adds to the tension.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some pretty funny jump scares-
The mantis jumping in front of the camera (and having the audience likely react the same way emerald did).

And the plastic horse head inexplicably crashing through the windshield of OJs truck.

The first two trailers were really good, even the spoilery third one was good too-
The fist bump was assumed to be an alien hand by many viewers, by being blood soaked and clearly not human.

OJ getting chased by something you can barely see visible about to come around the corner people assumed to be an alien, other quick shots you could freeze frame and see the crouching alien by the light switch. This along with the alien plushies made it look like it was aliens, they had been visiting us, and people were cargo culting about their presence.

The lady with the disfigured face looking up, I really doubt people guessed "she must have gotten mauled by an ape and is visiting an old Co star running the show".

The whole pageantry of Jupe's speech and the horse in a box made me think it was some sort of magic trick involving the aliens? Some people were speculating the aliens were turning people into horses or something.

Even the poster with the cloud that had the flag tassels was a curve ball. I was thinking Jean Jacket was some kind of shapeshifting pennywise type fear gestalt, not some alien with indigestion.

I heard Peele had a good time reading people's theories about the movie based on the posters and trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Jupe could have killed Jean Jacket at any time by just strapping a bunch of explosives to a horse.

Rednecks booby trapping equines only to watch them pop sky monsters is a funny mental image.