Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Incredible movie. Certainly my favorite film score I've heard in quite awhile. Gordy was absolutely terrifying, the first time I've actually been scared by a movie in years. On a different note, when I saw the Akira slide I clapped!

Something I really appreciated was the Steven Yeuen story, which was so personal for this kind of movie. Gordy's attack is the worst moment of Ricky's life, but because he survives it's also the happiest. That's why he keeps the shoe; it standing up is just as miraculous as his second lease on life. On display, it's totally clean with no bloodstains. Likewise, Ricky believes that by laughing at the jokes and leaning into the experience he has healed his trauma. The Sky Lasso Experience is part of that healing process as he enacts his revenge against animals, killing a horse every week. Where once he was the victim of an animal attack, now he is their master. (This is probably why he invited his co-star to the spectacle.) The tragedy, though, is that instead of healing himself he is recreating the conditions under which the original disaster took place, playing with an animal he doesn't understand, only on a much grander scale. He's trapped himself in a cycle of behavior that he doesn't have the means to perceive until the very end, grinning as he realizes what he's done.

One wonders why OJ never thought about why Ricky had an insatiable demand for horses, but it speaks to his character. OJ can only handle the short-term, thinking only about what he needs to do to make a profit on that day. It takes Em to call into question the long-term plan for the ranch. That itself is also a weakness, since she has a hard time handling tasks at hand when she's constantly hustling for an upcoming gig. It takes OJ's awareness to realize that there is a limited window to capitalize on the creature. They really do need each other, which I thought was such a neat observation on siblinghood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I agree with you up until Sky Lasso Experience although you do make a good point in the rest of it. I am not even sure Ricky knows what is even going on with Jean Jacket or that it isn't a spaceship. We do know he thinks there's someone piloting it called "the Viewers" and that they take the horses but do not return them, so I pretty sure he figures they're eaten or something.

The way it's edited from Gordy's attack to a match cut of Ricky psyching himself up for the show to the show itself suggests to me that those two events are psychologically linked for him, at least on a subconscious level.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 24, 2022

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

All that dust from the twisters couldn't have been good for the film either

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.jupitersclaim.com/